Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2003, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Roadster with 5.0 EFI motor
Not Ranked     
Unhappy It still won't start!

Hi guys, Well I have used the wax kit I won at the Ameristar Car Show to make it pretty, but the #&%$ thing still won't start. I've changed everything I can think of. The ARCA Show is looming and I am still no closer to fixing the problem.

For those of you who don't already know: The day before Ameristar I was driving north on Noland Rd. about 1000 feet north of KCIR when my car quit running. Boy that was fun with all the Bowtie boys driving by making $marta$$ remarks about being broke down. Anyway, Here is the details. While driving on I-470 the car just lost power, I pressed on the throttle a couple of times, to no avail. Then I put it in third and released the clutch. It started again (w/ a backfire) and ran about five miles or until I got to 350 and Westridge were it did the exact same thing. Using the same technic it restarted again. Then I drove north on Noland and about half way between KCIR and O'Flathery Rd. It lost power again only this time the rolling start didn't work. A couple of times after that it started but won't not run after I released the key to the run position. Now, it won't even start. I smelled what I'd call a burning wire. I have checked the entire wiring harness and found no burned wires. I thought it was the 22ohm resistor in the ignition circuit, but once I got a good ohms tester it tested at about 21.7 ohms resistance. The fuel system seems to be running fine and the starter circuit seems okay. The ignition has a real faint spark. It is so faint that the only way I could see it was to turn out the lights in the garage last night and then it was hard to see. I have replaced the TFI distributor module, the cap and rotor, the coil and I have a set of wires that I have not installed yet. If that doesn't do it, I don't know what to do. Is there anyone in KC that is really good with EFI systems? Time is running out. Bruce "HardLuck" Anderson Cobra Cop
Old 05-27-2003, 07:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

check your GROUNDING !

KK
Old 05-28-2003, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

Have you tried reading the codes from the computer?
Old 05-28-2003, 08:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The spark should be easily visible even in broad daylight and you should be able to hear it "snap" as it arc's to ground. The color, when ideal, is blue. Orange or yellow is "ok", blue arc is better.

With such a weak spark the plugs will get wet VERY quickly and even after you restore the "spark" it may be hard to start with the fouled plugs. I would have to suspect the coil(s) as it IS trying to fire, all though "weak".

Ernie
Old 05-28-2003, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Go buy a $3 battery ground cable about 14 inches long. Clean off (Grind) a spot on your frame drill and tap a 5/16" bolt hole and attach one end of the battery cable then attach the other end to a clean bolt on your engine.

That is exactly what I did when my engine kept dying like yours. No problems since.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"