28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2003, 08:15 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Peter says my car will be ready to ship next week!!!

Man I can't wait to see it. I paid a visit to Charlie B last week and saw #664 and believe me it didn't make my waiting any easier! It's gonna be so cool. I'm speechless.

CDB
Old 09-04-2003, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era#671 Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     
Default Era

Hi Chuck ,

Congrats!!

I was @ ERA the last week of June to start the process.I am currently having the motor built by Drew Baird at Keith Craft ...I know its a little early in the game to have motor built but figured it would help to see the ball rolling on the long wait.I might have actually seen your car that day of visit , what color is your 427? Also if you dont mind me asking how long did it take to reach this point of completion once your deposit started .

Thanks
Old 09-04-2003, 11:07 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Not their fault.

I ordered my car a couple of years ago but I delayed the process not them. There were some financial issues that needed to get resolved before I took delivery so I had them hold off on my build. So you really can't go by me. Now that it's almost here the wait wasn't too bad. I'm sure it will be well worth it.

Are you getting one of those aluminum motors from Keith Craft? I'm very envious, mine will be mostly iron.

My car is an unpainted roller so it's kinda doubtful they were working on it then. I kind of went crazy with the options list, pretty much took them all including undercar exhaust and dual roll bars. Hopefully I can do the paint work before the weather turns cold so I can spend the winter assembling. On the road in the spring sounds good but we'll see.

Chuck
Old 09-04-2003, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The wait

Thanks for the info, I did see 1 roller in rough fiberglass the day of visit that had the nice optional outboard brakes but dont remember if it had the dual rollbars.The motor decision was a tough call at the beginning , at first you bounce the 428 idea around and maby a 460 or 390 then the mind starts going crazy and before you know it your caught in the 427 trap.Figured i cant lose long term if i was to deal with the extra $$ now.I actually spoke with Drew in July prior to him advertising the motors on CC.I did go with the Billet crank, why ? who knows it sounds good.How are you setting your car up as far as tranny rear end gears and motor are concerned?
Old 09-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Options

I'm sure you will be happy with your motor. I saw a couple being built at Gessford Machine a month or so ago and they are beautiful. I even saw the velasco crank and would think it well worth the money. I thought Drew's price was good, it's doubtful I will have less in my iron 427 when it's done.

I did pretty much the same thing you are doing now after I ordered my kit, I said I'll get the motor together and be ready. I bought a whole pile of NOS parts to build a brand new 427 side oiler with medium riser heads. All it needs is machine work to assemble it, but that is probably not the first motor the cobra will see. In the mean time I needed to rebuild the 352 for my '66 ford pickup and that evolved into a fairly healthy 390 which I am assembling now. That motor will probably go into the cobra first because it will be much easier to document the origin of it for registration purposes than the meriad of sources for the 427.

The tranny is a wide ratio toploader from a 390 mustang, it is small input / output but hopefully that will hold up okay, I have little interest in drag racing, but may play around on the road course over in Topeka.

I did order the outboard brake suspension with 3:31 limited slip.

Overall, I'm trying to come as close as I can to what you would have gotten had you bought a new street car. In fact when I do build the 427 I'm using all 60s technology. I got a few moments to discuss my motor plans with Lee Holman at the Monterey Historics and it's really pretty close to the motor they ran at LeMans in the GT-40s. I figure if it's good enough to win LeMans why isn't it good enough for me?! According to Lee the LeMans motor had 9.75:1 compression and ran a solid lifter cam (which you can still get from him) with stock valvetrain. Pretty much the opposite from the way most cobra motors are built these days but I'm really interested in trying it. I'll either get the 310 cam from Holman-Moody or run the -AA ford cam that I already have (306). On top I'll have the shelby MR dual quad with 2 450s. I'm hesitant to over carb it, and have heard the 450s are real responsive. Anyway, that's the plan today.

Chuck

Last edited by chuckbrandt; 09-04-2003 at 12:23 PM..
Old 09-05-2003, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just wanted to jump in to this conversation.
I am the proud owner of ERA 635 which you guys probably saw when you visted ERA my car is gaurdsman blue with white strips. The reason my car is still there is my motor wasn't ready till last week .I am going there tomorrow with my motor for them to install hopfully I can drive it home in a week or two. As far as the wait it was long but worth the wait and value. My advice to building your motor now is do it,because I had a brand new 427 block that I bought from a guy, and when the motor was built and on the dyno it sprung a leek. Needless to say I lost the hole summer.
If you have any questions feel free to email me @ richieg1@optonline.net

Richie [seeyaa]
Old 09-07-2003, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Rich ,

Yes, I remember your car clearly .Very Very sharp looking with the 17'' rims if its the same one im thinking.That is gonna be one sweet ride with the 5 speed and s/o. I plan on another trip to see Peter once motor is delivered from Drew within the next 6 weeks or so.Figured looking at the motor completed will help the wait, ya right it will.What did you choose for rear option on your car ?

Sal