Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Midstates Cobra's---Speak with Bob Kallio

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-26-2003, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham SC427 (KMP 336) w/ Stoked FE 427SO & Top Loader 4spd
Send a message via Yahoo to Wahoo65
Not Ranked     
Default Unique or Mid States?

I am planning on building one of the two kits, but can anyone tell me if one is better than the other?
Old 06-26-2003, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Can't tell you a thing about a mid-states.. Buy I'm very satisfied with the quality of the Unique... People seem to be very happy with the Uniques but I've found that people, no matter what brand they own, tend to be very happy with their choice...
Old 06-26-2003, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am very satisfied with my Midstates. You couldn't find better or kinder people to deal with. But I don't have any information on Unique.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Before I decided on my ERA I spoke with the people at midstates VERY NICE PEOPLE ...
Old 06-26-2003, 11:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default worth looking at closer...

Unique sticks with the same frame and suspension for their 289/427 cars using only the Jag IRS setup for the rear differential. They accept the Ford 289/302,351s, or FE engine setups - sticking with a more traditional configuration.

My understanding about Midstates is they offer a few more options for rear differentials both straight axle and IRS, and other engine options including some non-Ford configurations (Chevy) if absolutely desired. Midstates also seems to be proud of the fact that they will customize it and build it to your taste which is nice if you have very special requirements.

There is great feedback on both companies and their history. It's probably worth looking at both up close in person. Both are competetively priced in the market today for the roller and turnkey-minus type configurations. Or, Turnkey too for that matter.

Last edited by decooney; 06-26-2003 at 11:38 PM..
Old 06-27-2003, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

You absolutely cannot go wrong with Unique. Nothing in the price range can match it for looks, completeness, engineering and overall quality. The deluxe pallet kit is a breeze to work on and the finished product rewards you with a car that rides sweet and solid and looks right in terms of stance, lines and proportion. I have read good things about Midstates and the people who run the company, but I cannot comment materially other than to say that I prefer the look and stance of the Unique. When you hear people rave about how good Unique's cars are, it's more than simple owner loyalty - they really are that good!
Good luck with your new Cobra!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 06-27-2003, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, 403 FE. Dual Quad
Not Ranked     
Default Unique or Midstates

Both are manufacturers are fine choices but I've built three Uniques. Reasons as mentioned above "Stance, Quality, Completeness, Ease of Assembly". Ask any of their customers -
You won't find complaints.
- Aggressor
Old 06-27-2003, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I looked Midstates and Unique. In my opinion midstates has a good body (thick - lots of fiberglass), but Unique has a better frame and suspension. Just my .02
Old 06-27-2003, 10:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default some other comments...

My last car with a Unique 427SC. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I altered a few things, like the rear differential width, made a few suspension mods (which Unique has now as an option). IMHO, It really helps to have the panels aligned correctly and body work done extremely well before painting a Unique. If you do it right, it's worth it...

Once I had my Unique at Monterey for the Historics. At the late Saturday Pacific Grove show and drive... it was sitting next to an original 427 Cobra for several hours... It was sort of uncomfortable to be sitting next to the owner of the original Cobra because several (20 or so) different people came up and stated that my Unique was the original and the other car next to me was definitely a replica. It sure made all the work that I put into that Unique worth it to me.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, Ford 428 SCJ
Not Ranked     

Duane,

Since you own an ERA now, I'd be curious to hear your opinion in comparison between it and your old Unique.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Traveller,

I want to be careful on this one because both cars have strong points, and I like both of them in different ways. Both of these cars are a great VALUE at their price point. When equally equipped with the exact same engine, trans, rear, wheels/tires and components, both cars have done well for me. Also, this is a Unique vs. Midstates thread so I don't want to take the original poster off track too much.

So, I'll try to make this short...if I can. If I had the extra 10-12K to build a Cobra, I'd build another ERA. If I wanted to save 10K or didn't have the extra 10K, I would build the Unique again. If I had to pick just one comment to make, it would be the fact that ERA has put a lot if time in engineering and fine tuning their cars and build quality. Just having a body that is bonded and rivoted to the chassis alone is worth the extra money to me, not to mention things like the dash, seats, so on an so forth. However, I would not trade back my experinece with the Unique. It was worth every penny and time I put into it. I hope this helps to explain it from one person's view. Plus, I like building and trying different cars just to see how they are put together and what the final results will be. Gives me something to do

Last edited by decooney; 06-27-2003 at 05:18 PM..
Old 06-27-2003, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First, in case you're not aware, Shell Valley is the same as Midstates. So is Team-C Racing. In my experience with simply comparing what the two offer, they are both nice, and I would rank Unique better by about the same amount more you'd spend for a Unique versus Shell Valley. I'd guess around $5k to $6k more for the Unique.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

I'm the second owner of my Unique... I was reluctant to call the Weavers for information and questions because I wasn't the original purchaser... not calling was a mistake... Alan or Maurice stop what they're doing to answer questions... I've struggled through minor repairs when all it took was a phone call to Unique to get me up and running..
Haven't had a question they couldn't answer..
They say that "ignorance is bliss" and in my case it was... I ended up with the Unique because I liked the way it looked... The bonus is that I got one heck of a quality car...
Visit the Unique forum on the web... All potential problems and solutions are discussed.. Very helpful when making a decision...
I'm not on my usual computer so I don't have the Unique website in front of me but I'm sure someone will pass it on...
al
Old 06-27-2003, 04:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates "Street" Roadster, 351W
Not Ranked     

SSS, while Shell Valley and Midstates share the same owner, the cars are not the same.

MACV Advisory Team 16
Tam Ky '68-'69
Old 06-27-2003, 05:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default comparion...

dkjos,

what are the differences?. Now that you bring it up, i'm curious not knowing much about MidStates or Shell Valley cars other than pictures and what you guys say... I drove an old Shell Valley once (7 years ago) that was not put together very well. The newer SV cars would hopefully be much improved now over what I drove.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary frame, Midstates kevlar body, Aluminum Shelby 427, G-force T-5
Not Ranked     

both midstates and unique are quality cars. my first was a midstates, and when i bought a contemporary frame to start my second, bob kallio was more than happy to provide a kevlar body, move any body/bumper mounts, provide steering hookups, roll bar etc. the biggest reason the $ difference between midstates and the some of the others is the cost of production. hooper, nebraska is not exactly a metropolis with a high cost of living. in fact, in many cases the car is overbuilt.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates "Street" Roadster, 351W
Not Ranked     

Some of the differences between Midstates and Shell Valley:

SV has rectangular tube frame only, MS is available with round or rectangular tube. On rectangular frames, the outrigger structure is different, as is the rear structure.

The standard rear end for both is a Ford 9". MS uses a four bar with panhard rod, SV has a triangulated 4 link. MS also offers IRS.

MS has a heftier body.

MACV Advisory Team 16
Tam Ky '68-'69
Old 06-28-2003, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham SC427 (KMP 336) w/ Stoked FE 427SO & Top Loader 4spd
Send a message via Yahoo to Wahoo65
Not Ranked     

Thanks for everyone's input on the subject. I will have to think about it more before I decide. As for the ERA, if I am going to shell out that kind of money, I am going to go the extra mile and get a Kirkham.

I do have another question, which some of you may be able to help with. I plan on using an IRS, but I am not sure what Jag models and years are suitable donors. The only one that I am almost sure of is the 62 - 67 XKE Series 1, and from that donor I can get the front suspension parts. Any help would eb appreciated.