Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Midstates Cobra's---Speak with Bob Kallio

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2001, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I purchased my Midstates in Jan of 99. I've just completed the car and I'm delighted with the car and Bob's help and support throughout this project. Now to the car:
Custom body with Tubular front with coilovers and Ford 9" with 3:70 gear posi mounted on a rectangular chassis.

1970 351 Cleveland 4V with polished and flowed quench heads. Bored .030 and running a fully balanced rotating assembly with Lunanti BracketMaster cam, rollers, Kieth Black pistons and Total seal rings, etc. Intake is an Offen 360 with a Holley 750 Vac. ARP throughout and other goodies. Factory Jethot coated headers and sidepipes.

I completed the car with all Lucas (P-700 lamps markers, etc.) and Smith (Gauges and switches)equipment (I know, I want the pain of English QC.). I had Bob make my carpet in black with dark red trim for all finished areas. The car rolls on 235/60-15 and 295/50-15 Firestone Firehawks mounted on Team III 8x15 and 10x15 respectively.

I used 14 coats of hand rubbed Lacquer PPG Guards Red and white stripes. Instead of the standard striping pattern, I used the pattern off a dry-sump ex-race car which I really like. The stripes wrap around the nose of the car. Looks Killer!!

I would build another Midstates in a minute and no one can ever go wrong dealing with Bob and Midstates. BTW: I broke the first rule of Cobra replica building, by buying a kit without taking a trip to the company, and in Bob's case, word of mouth was enough and I personally made the right decision. Thanks Midstates!!!

Carl Felix
Frankfort, Kentucky
Old 02-08-2002, 08:52 AM
The longest build.....
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Mid-States, 428 Police Interceptor, TKO 5 speed, Jaguar rearend, Trigos, and Guardsman Blue!!!
Not Ranked     
Cool My Mid-States

Mine is a work in progress.

1968 428 Police Interceptor with factory alumimun intake,
750 cfm double pumper Holley, Tremec TKO 5 speed with FinishLine shifter. Jaguar irs narrowed by CWI. Trigo knock-off wheels with Goodyear Eagle GTII. Smiths gauges. Real Raydyot mirrors (thanks csx4027) 15" wood wheel from Enzo.
Aldan coil overs on all corners. Going for the true S/C look.
Still deciding on paint color/scheme.

Hope to have it under it's own power at the end of this summer.

Check out the picture gallery!!

www.bluecarministries.com
Old 02-08-2002, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460
Not Ranked     

Mine is also in progress. No paint yet, or license, but otherwise useable. All of my experience with Bob has been great. I started the car around April 2001, and hope to have it done by April this year. I have a 460, Tremec TKO, and 9" with TracLoc and 3.55 gears. Great fun to drive (only in parking lots and on private property of course )

Bran

Brandon
Old 06-25-2002, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460CJ
Not Ranked     

Hey, I have a 2002 Midstates. Loaded it up with a 460, Toploader tranny, solid 9" rear with Auburn tracloc and Richmond 3.55 rear end. Clean centerline rims.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to cobrakit66
Not Ranked     

i have owned my mid states for nine years i got it it from the guy who started building it for a pretty fair price.i finished the building but i keep adding and up grading its fast enough dependable and has no stress cracks after 10000 miles i lost the cobra for 15 months my ex wife had it hidden(hell hath no fury) i got it back in the settlement so we got history. now its due for some new paint and cosmetics soon to happen (winter) i love this little car ron hinkel
Old 09-22-2002, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to butch
Not Ranked     

Completed spring 1990. Since then we have put over 75,000 mi. on it and not gently. It is running a 351c with Aussie heads, Comp Cam and related goodys. Wide ratio Top Loader, 9" 3.50 Poisy rear.We attend as many MOG events as we can and always have a wonderful time. The company,people and car are all first class.
Butch Stoddard
Old 09-22-2002, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I bought my Midstates 13yrs ago from the Kallios. Wonderful people to know and work with. You are not just a customer, you will become part of their cobra family. As far as my car goes, well it still does in style and soon she will get a new make over.
To consider Midstates for a Cobra is a no brainer. Just do it and you will never look back.

Hersh
Old 10-17-2002, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates 351C
Not Ranked     

I finally picked one. Midstates frame, tubular front end and 9 inch rear will be dilivered to my garage 10/02.

I am going to need some help. Anyone who has built a Midstates, I would appreciate parts lists, things you would recommend to do and no to do, etc.

Dr. O
Old 11-25-2002, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

I'am a happy midstates owner, started project in 1990
finished and reg. it in 1997. Lots of fun driving the car.
Midstates was extreamly helpful during build. Would recomend
them to anyone wanting to build one. See sharpe 1 in the
the gallary.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates 427 Ford FE
Not Ranked     

Well, I'm finally in the game!!! Took delivery of a Midstates October 2002. I am trying to pace myself, but I can't stay away. This past weekend I fired up the '65 390FE built by Engine Factory and it was the sweetest sound I have ever heard. Bob has been a great help along the way and we are only beginning. The body is getting paint (Brittish Racing Green w/ no stripes) and I should see it early '03. I am greatly impressed with the quality of the body and all work performed by Midstates.

Some specs for my car: 9" rear w/ 3.70:1, '65 390FE, Rectangular Frame, Autometer Gauges, Tan leather seats and dash, PS Engineering rims w/ 295/50/15 and 235/60/15 front.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default my midstates

Started my Midstates in April 2001. Tubular front end, manual rack, Aldan Eagle coil overs all around. Ford 9" w/Auburn limited slip posi unit, 3.73 geared. 351W. Tremec 3550 transmission.
Ordered body and other parts for pick up next spring.
Hope to have it on the road by late summer or early fall.
I have 2 pictures posted in the gallery.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

grizzbear My Midstates is almost complete, be on the road by the
4th of July. I have a 427 sideoiler with 2x4's, toploader,3.50 Detroit locker, 4 bar w/ koni coil overs, Pinto r&p, red w/white stripes, black interior, Mcloed flywheel and bellhousing(scattershield). Bob is very helpfull and prompt in his quest to make things work for you. The body, frame etc. highly recommended. Gary Hoffer Madera, Ca.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary frame, Midstates kevlar body, Aluminum Shelby 427, G-force T-5
Not Ranked     

second midstates build. after purchasing a contemporary frame with the right pieces (pin drives, jag irs, brembo rear brakes) at the right price from a friend, added 17"pse wheels, amp front tubular jag susp, bob provided the kevlar body, 4-point rollbar, windshield, steering. as of mid-2003, just a completed roller. still have 427 from first midstates. hopefully in the future will get an alum block, have all the other alum engine pieces. with the lighter comtemp frame, much lighter kevlar body, and alum drivetrain, hope to trim at least 500lbs from the weight of my first one. kallio and midstates crew are good people. these guys would install a air-cooled vw engine if you wanted it...course the sidepipes would look funny backwards.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates. Ford stroked 460 (to 514) blue/white
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Getting closer

I wedged a stroker 460 (to 514) in my midstates and dropped it back about 1 inch. I custom made my headers (first ones ever) and the drivers side is perfect. The pasenger side is somehow about 1 inch too far back. Which means reworking them. I should have this monster on the road (and track) by the beginning of 2004 (I HOPE!). Of all the cars that I looked at I really love the quality of the glasswork and fit that came with mine. I challenge other manufacures to forget to take ONE bolt out of the frame and then lift the body ... I could not figure out why the winch was having such a hard time (lifting the body, frame, engine, trans......). I routinely walk on mine because I have a small garage with too many project in it. I do not think twice about it. Of course this will change when I get paint....

I LOVE IT!!!!

M.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates work in progress, personally built 302
Not Ranked     

Still working on mine.

Got the Frame/suspension this fall, and am looking to get the body etc. next year.

Brand new (pretty much stock) 302 that I built last winter. Was planning to bore out a boneyard engine, but someone got there first and it was already shot. So I got a new block and crank from FMS and built it up myself. It was very satisfying to hear it come to life knowing I did the thing myself.

Right now I'm putting the suspension back together after painting the frame.

Specs: Planning on a T5 (don't have yet), 3.50 rear with posi, will go with the 15" tires - am leaning towards PS Engineering. I'm also leaning towards a deep red, kind of like the old Butler brochure photos - I'm going to have to do some research to find that color.

Am extremely satisfied with Midstates. They're great to work with and customization is the name of their game. I've heard nothing but good comments about them also.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 351Cleveland
Not Ranked     

I attended the Kit Car Show in Carlisle, PA for the last three years. It was there I met Bob Kallio (Midstates Classic Cars). This past June I purchased the Midstates frame/suspension. Bob Kallio brought the frame to London Ohio during the DVIII Spring Fling. Last week I drove from Indiana to Nebraska to pick up the body. Bob and his mechanic Chuck were great to work with. The body was centered and mounted. Steering column and roll bar were installed. What a great experience !!!

Components:
MIDSTATES CUSTOM BODY
SQUARE TUBE FRAME, POWDER COATED
TUBULAR FRONT END
ALL WHEEL ALDAN COILOVERS
9 INCH VERSAILLES REAR 3:25 GEARS LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL
351C BLOCK BORED .30 OVER
C6 TRANSMISSION WITH SHIFT KIT
B&M SHIFTER

I can't say enough of my experience with Midstates Classic Cars. Bob makes you feel like part of his family.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none...for now.
Send a message via AIM to Nathan Houghton
Not Ranked     
Default Building my first!

Well I joined this site in 1999 and used to post quite regularly back then. I even designed the first set of embroidered shirts we did (does any one still have theirs? I do!)

Anyway, due to different reasons, I never got to build a Cobra. Well now that has changed. I am building a Midstates Cobra. I've got my frame on order with Bob. I hope to picking it up this spring.

Here's my plans for my Cobra:
1. Rectangular frame w/ 9" Ford Rearend and Coil Over Front suspension.
2. 460 with aluminum CJ Heads, 11:1 comp, Lunati solid lifter cam, HS roller rockers, Edelbrock Victor Jr. Intake, Holley 850 Double Pumper.
3. Tremec TKO-600
4. 15" Trigo Wheels
5. Dark Blue body w/o stripes, riveted hood scoop, quick jack bars, white side pipes.

That's the plan anyway, and it gets started this spring! It's about time!!!!!

Last edited by Nathan Houghton; 09-14-2004 at 10:49 AM..
Old 04-03-2012, 01:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: midstates,406 block 427
Not Ranked     
Default cobra

just bought 2001 midstates cobra,car was built for dan heatherly and featured in aug 2003 kit car builder and midstates ad in 4th edition of cobra replicas. it took 60 yrs to get here ,and lovin every minute...hence the plate o no 1...
Old 04-03-2012, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

nice choice....
Old 04-03-2012, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: midstates,406 block 427
Not Ranked     

thanks learning how to drive it...