14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     
Default Bringing an out-of-state Cobra into CO

It looks like we will be moving back to CO in the next few months. Since it has been 11 years since we have lived there I'm wondering what issues there would be in getting our Cobra licensed, especially emissons testing. My engine is a '67 289 K code (built in 07/66) from a Falcon, the car frame,suspension and body was built in '89 by NAF and is thus licensed here in WA as a '89 Cobra replica, no emissions needed.

We'll be moving into the Weld County area around Windsor or a community in that area.

Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 03-26-2007, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gary,
New legislation has been passed providing exemptions for
component cars. replicas, streetrods etc. I believe it goes
into the books as of July 1st. Should make it easy for you
with emission exemption and an easier program to register
and title your vehicle. Check with members of MHCC. THey'll
know/
Bob T>
Loveland, CO
former Midstates owner/
Old 03-27-2007, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

You'll need a VIN inspection, that's it. Ask the DMV in your area where to get that done. Used to be all the smog check stations did it. Now there are not many smog stations around. Diesel engines still need a smog check. Places that do that can usually do the VIN inspection.

No smog check for gas engines outside of Denver. If you regularly operate a vehicle in Denver, the law says you have to get a smog check.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Streetbeast, 351W
Not Ranked     

If you are going to live in Weld county, you won't need any emissions at all.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Gary: Due to the embargo against Spain, Webers are not allowed into Colorado under any circumstances. You will need to replace them with another choice of carburetion. I will purchase them from you though so don't sweat it.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 03-27-2007 at 09:46 PM..
Old 03-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Guys thanks for the response! It seems likely I may not have any problems, very cool

Rick, I do dread having to rejet the Webers for hi-altitude
Old 04-06-2007, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

HELP!

the DMV here wants to register my Kirkham as a "1965 Kit" . . .

Does this seem correct? Any alternatives?
thanks!

David in Durango
Old 04-06-2007, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Not correct. It should be registered as the year the kit was manufactured, as listed on the MSO.

When you go to the DMV, you'll learn that you are the first person in the history of the state of COlorado to ever register a kit car. They will have absolutly no clue on the procedures to follow. You need to get a copy of the regs and follow them. Bring those copies with you to the DMV and guide them through the process.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Streetbeast, 351W
Not Ranked     

You may also need to bring a slip showing the weight of the car. Thaey asked me for one in Adams county, I said it was about 2200lbs, see said she would have to check with her boss. He said his buddy has one and that was about right. BOBCOWAN is correct, the do not have a flipp'n clue as what to do. It took me 5 trips to the DMV to get my crap traken care of.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, the "VIN dude" has indicated that they have procedures (he was reading a cheat sheet while we chatted) and there would only be one way to do it. (yep, I'm cryin' bs, too).

Would also like to avoid as much sales tax as possible . . .any hints appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad66
You may also need to bring a slip showing the weight of the car. Thaey asked me for one in Adams county, I said it was about 2200lbs, see said she would have to check with her boss. He said his buddy has one and that was about right. BOBCOWAN is correct, the do not have a flipp'n clue as what to do. It took me 5 trips to the DMV to get my crap traken care of.