17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460
Not Ranked     
Default New law?

Has anyone tried out the new Colorado Kit Car law yet? I am going in to renew my plates today and am hoping that someone has broken them in for me.

Brandon
Old 07-05-2007, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It worked!!! HB-1176 worked and let me get my plates today. Now any car registered as a "kit" is exempt from emissions. I did have to take a copy of the bill in and mark the important portions, section 45.5 42-4-304 section 18, but with that information they were able to verify the law and got me out of there with a smile on my face. Thanks to everyone that was involved in getting this bill through.

Brandon
Old 08-08-2007, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Streetbeast, 351W
Not Ranked     

Where did you get a copy of the bill?
Old 08-08-2007, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I PM'd you, send me your email address and I will send the bill to you.

Brandon
Old 08-11-2007, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2482 Shelby/Roush 427
Not Ranked     

I got my plates for the first time a few weeks ago and the emission never even came up. I had a copy of the bill just in case but quietly put it away, wrote a big fat check, and walked out with new plates is less than 5 minutes. This was at the DMV in Littleton at Kipling/Bowles.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1993 Shell Valley 351W
Not Ranked     

I newly registered my Cobra replica last month. I didn't even have to say a word. The DMV clerk said immediately: "Ah, it's a kit car. No emission test required."
Old 02-05-2008, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

For any of you fellas that just recently went through the new registration, it would be must appreciated for you to PM me. I like to talk to you as I have a few questions on the process.

Kramer
Old 02-05-2008, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

PM sent. let me know how I can help.

Brandon
Old 02-05-2008, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank Brandon...I sent a reply...if you don't mind, call me when you get a moment.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Kramer,
I'll do my best to help as well. Please post your questions since the answers may help others.
Regards,
doug
Old 02-05-2008, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually I was more curious as to the inspection process of with the DMV?

Where did you go?
Did you trailer the car there?
How long was the wait?
What did they want to see?
etc, etc.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To title/register my newly built Cobra in Colorado, my first step was filling out some paperwork with the DMV (the large main DMV office in Lakewood off Pierce; the wait wasn't only a couple minutes for title/registration).

A few weeks later, the DMV had approved the documentation and gave me instructions to schedule an appointment with the Colorado State Patrol so that they could attach a Colorado-assigned VIN plate on the car. The Shell Valley VIN number isn't enough; it has to be a Colorado-assigned number.

So a week later, the DMV gave me a temporary permit to drive the car. I drove the car to the Colorado State Patrol in Golden. Pulled up. No questions asked. The officer had me pop the hood and he put a VIN plate on the frame. Next, he gave me documentation to take back to the DMV to show the new VIN plate had been applied.

Another month or so later, the DMV let me know that everything had been approved and title/registration was now possible. I went to the DMV at the Jefferson County Office building. No wait. The clerk knew no emissions test was required for a kit car, so everything was able to proceed immediately. He gave me my plate.

It was a long process over a few months, so I am probably missing some details in there.

There's also an overview of the Colorado title/registration process posted at:
Mile Hi Cobra Club : Ask Dr. Cobra
However, when I took that list of steps to the DMV, along with those form numbers, the DMV said it was wrong and gave me different instructions/forms.

I'm just glad I started all this at the beginning of winter so the car would be ready to go by spring!
Old 02-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

It sounds so much nicer than our process.........I am truely happy for you folks.......

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 02-05-2008, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Appreciate the help DacotaCO. If anything, you inspired me to start the process much sooner than I expected. I live northwest of denver but imagine I can get forms anywhere so I start looking into it this weekend.

Kramer
Old 04-08-2009, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good day all! I know this is an older thread but I'm hoping someone has a copy of the law that they specifically used to show the DMV people. If it could be sent to me I would be quite happy.

I'm getting ready to build my own car, while not a Cobra (actually a Lotus 7 replica) the laws still apply to me and hopefully someone has a copy of the law handy. I talked to the people at the DMV earlier and they had no idea what I was talking about, so I want to take some paper into them next time.

My email is reddeth@reddeth.com. It would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Roadster, 418W
Not Ranked     

reddeth, here is the definition for motor vehicle as it pertains to the CO emission testing program (see CO State Statutes 42-4-304(18)(c). The applicable definition is bolded.

"Motor vehicle", as applicable to the AIR program, includes only a motor vehicle that is operated with four wheels or more on the ground, self-propelled by a spark-ignited engine burning gasoline, gasoline blends, gaseous fuel, blends of liquid gasoline and gaseous fuels, alcohol, alcohol blends, or other similar fuels, having a personal property classification of A, B, or C pursuant to section 42-3-106, and for which registration in this state is required for operation on the public roads and highways or which motor vehicle is owned or operated or both by a nonresident who meets the requirements set forth in section 42-4-310 (1) (c). "Motor vehicle" does not include kit vehicles; vehicles registered pursuant to section 42-3-219, 42-3-305 (4), or 42-3-306 (4); vehicles registered pursuant to section 42-12-102 that are of model year 1959 or earlier or that have two-stroke cycle engines manufactured prior to 1980; or vehicles registered as street rods pursuant to section 42-3-201.

Good Luck,
Terry
Old 04-08-2009, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Awesome! Finally was able to find the .pdf from the governments website since I have the statue number!

I'll print that off and go talk to the DMV people again, thanks for the help!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Roadster, 418W
Not Ranked     

reddeth,
Not sure if you are aware, the Caterham USA HQ (for all things Lotus7!) is in west Denver on Custer Place. They probably have all the registration, inspection and emissions stuff for Colorado readily at hand. Here is their web site:
http://www.uscaterham.com/

Terry
Old 04-09-2009, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Reddeth,

Sorry that I didn't get to this in time, I have a pdf copy of the original bill on my PC if you or anybody else needs it. It sounds like you already have what you need but I have it. Let me know if I can help in any other way.

By the way, I have a partially build 7 as well, hopefully I will get back to it someday and have a fully built 7.

Brandon