Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 10:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     
Default Mile Hi Cobra Club goes to Grand Lake

Once a year, the Mile Hi CObra Club takes over a small hotel in Grand lake, CO. This trip is one of the highlights of our year; it is for Michele and I anyway. This year, it was again organized by Mike and Jane McCaulf. A big round of applause to Mike and Jane for another job well done.

Not everybody drives a Cobra. In fact, not all of us own Cobra's. We don't care, it's still a fun time. We do make them drive at the back of the line, though

We meet on Friday morning and get ready to roll out of the Denver area. As has been common this year, the morning was cold and a bit wet. Not too bad, though. Undaunted, we headed up through some really nice back roads west of Morrison.

Once we got west of Idaho Springs and near Berthough Pass, the clouds rolled off, and we had a beatifull - if not chilly - morning.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now, last year, this stretch of Berthoud pass got a little exciting. A few members of our little rowdy band decided to make it a spirited climb. We won't mention any names. But those involved know who they are. And I'm sure they feel very guilty. This year it was much calmer.

We drove through the moutnains for a while.

And eventually ended up at our little hotel. Safe and sound
Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now, here's where the best part of the trip comes in. The hotel has a very nice balcony/patio, with tables and chairs. We spend some time here gabbing, listening, drinking, bench racing, etc. It's a very relaxed atmosphere. Nothing like a big bunch of good friends to spend the week end with.

From the patiuo, you can watch the lake, and see some interesting sights. Including a restored wood boat like I used to see at Tahoe, and this steamboat.

Grand Lake is a tourist mecca. People come from all over to spend time here at this high mountain lake. Our hotel parking lot becomes a car show. Dozens of people stop by to look at the cars, and talk about them. Yes, I did meet a man who had an uncle......

For a bit of trivia, the town of Grand Lake in on the shores of Grand Lake. It is also the headwaters of the Colorado river. The Colorado river passes through the Grand Canyon. See a trend here? The Grand Canyon got it's name from it's river, the Grand River. Before Colorado became a territory, the river was named the Grand river. Later, the river was renamed. But the town, the lake, and the canyon stayed the same.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On Saturday, we took a little drive into Rocky Mountain National Park. If you have not been here, you really should include this on your list. It's a real gem of the rockies. The odds of seeing elk here are very good.

On this day, the park Rangers had a nice educational display set up for us to learn more about the elk. We talked with this biologist who puts radio collars on the elk. They're working on elk contraceptive, because the herd is getting too big.

These antlers were found in the park just like this. Two bulls got tangled, and the front tines were imbedded in the dirt. Kinda sad.

We also met a woman who's hobby is poo. That's right - poo. She had a large poo collection. She was quite proud of it. I declined to handle any of her collection.

And we had a nice picnic lunch.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob couldn't decide what hat to wear.

I'm as happy as a little girl!

Dang! Not a single snickers bar. Cheap buggers.

Form a line, no shoving.

Sadly, it had to end, and it was time to go home on Sunday Morning. We were the first to leave, as we had the furthest to go. And, I planned on taking the scenic route. We headed west, through Kremmeling and over Gore Pass. Then south to I-70. A short trip east in I-70 brought us to Mintern. We were going to stop for lunch, but the town was closed.

We stopped in Leadville for gas; Leadville is the highest incorporated town in the US. We had lunch at the famous Golden Burro. Excellent, as always. Then we stopped for gas. As we were filling up, I heard a familier sound. I looked down the road, and saw a familier shape. It was a Jim Mills, driving an old Accufab Cobra. We chatted for a while, and checked out each other's cars. Jim lives in Leadville, bought the car a couple years ago, and does not own a computer.

We stopped for potty in Buena Vista. A guy came up and was oogling the car. His uncle - no, not that story - had built a couple of kits, and had one under construction. He asked his wife to take his picture next to the car. I said, "Why don't you sit in it?" "Really?" and he jumped right in. Didn't have to tell him twice.

All in all, a great week end. No, more than great - spectacular. Car ran great, and averaged about 20mpg. We had great food, great friends, great scenery. Life is good in Colorado.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 351W/408CI 525HP
Not Ranked     

Bob,

Beautiful pictures. I spend alot of time in the winter skiing at Winter Park and it doesn't look quite the same in the summer.

I drove my Cobra yesterday and put it up for the Hurricane Ike. It's on a lift just in case.

Thanks for putting a breath of fresh air into my day.

Larry
Old 09-12-2008, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460
Not Ranked     

Next year Stacie and I will make it, honest!!!

Brandon