17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-19-2009, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     
Default Mile Hi Cobra Club Drive/Event

The MHCC is all about the people and the cars. We have only one meeting a year. BUT, we have a lot of drives and get togethers throughout the year. Now it's time for another one.

This is a little different than previous trips. This is on a Saturday afternoon, instead of Sunday morning.

Saturday, July 25, meet at the Conoco station, at the corner of Santa Fe and I-470. Depart at 1300hrs (that’s 1 o’clock PM for you civilian types).

Travel south on Santa Fe to Sedalia, then turn south on 105, through Tri-Lakes, and Monument.

At Monument, get on I-25 south. Get off at exit 146, Garden of the Gods Rd. There’s a Phillips 66 station directly on the right. We can exchange various fluids there.

That’s about 55 miles.

When ready, we'll leave the gas station, and head west on Garden of the Gods Rd. At 30th st, turn south. At Colorado Blvd, turn north. In about 0.8 miles we come to Amandas Fonda – my favorite mexican restaurant.

There we will have a delicious late lunch / early dinner. I highly recommend chicken fajitas, fish tacos, and the drunken chicken. I really love their green chile, and often have a big burrito with it. The marguritas are the best anywhere. Portions are big, bring a cool chest for the left overs.

When we’re ready, we’ll travel across town to the corner of Constition Ave, and North Powers Blvd.

Every Saturday, there’s a very informal cruise-in. Although it’s been rained out for the last 4-5 weeks. Sometimes there’s 100 cars, and sometimes 20. Could be anything from a Model T, to a new Farreri. I think 10-15 Cobras would be quite a sight. I’m usually the only Cobra there.

When ready, leave the cruise-in, and head north on Powers Blvd. In about 10 miles, it will intersect with SR-83. A right turn will take you up through Black Forest, Franktown, and Parker. A left turn will take you to I-25 (about 2.5 miles).

Sunset is about 2015 hrs (8:15 PM), so there’s plenty of time to get home before dark.

Rain date, Saturday Aug 1st.

So far, we 17 people planning to attend. You don't need to be a club member to join us. Heck, you don't even have to be driving a Cobra!
Old 07-26-2009, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got home about about an hour ago. Things went pretty well. For the most part. I checked the weather forecast at 1100 - mostly sunny, cool, 20% chance of thunderstorms around 1700. Perfect.

Michele and I left CS at about 1130. We took a nice leisurly drive up to Littleton. It was a beautifull drive. The sun was out, the air was cool, and traffic was light.

We left Littleton around 1300 with 10 cars. We picked up 3 more along the way. It was a beautifull drive down CO 105. We've had so much rain that everything is still green and lush. Pretty unusual for late July.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We arrived in CS with lots of time to spare. We stopped at the 66 station for everyone to exchange fluids and what not.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We hung around the gas station, mostly watching the weather. We could see this incoming storm to the west. Guess where Amanda's Fonda is? You guessed right, directly under the red circle.

Eventually, we decided we couldn't wait any longer. It looked like it was heading to the south east, and there wasn't much rain at our destination any more. We could actually see the mountains again!

We took a little side trip through Garden of the Gods park. As we were passing balanced rock, it started to rain. Not much, but a little. No problem (we think), we're almost there. A little rain is no big deal.

As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, it really started to rain. Well, rain is quite the word for it. A better word might be storm, or deluge, or flash flood.

We started out with outdoor seating. The patio is usually my favorite spot.

But, the deluge kept getting worse, and the roof started to leak. So we moved inside

Old 07-26-2009, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The meal was excellent, as always. That's the best mexican restaurant anywhere around. But, eventually, it was time to go. The rain had been letting up, but didn't really quit. Most people took the time to put up the top, or at least put on a rain jacket. We only had a 10 minute drive, so we didn't bother.

The rest of the crew was heading back to Denver and Castle Rock. Rumor had it that it was pretty dry up north. That's often the case; the weather pattern changes a lot over the Palmer Divide. When I got home, I pulled up the radar, and it didn't look good. I hope you all made it home OK.

The original plan was to head over to the cruise in on the other side of town. But, when the weather is bad, there's nobody else there. So we bagged that poertion. Maybe we'll try again another day.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for sharing the photos. It's always nice to see Cobra owners who actually tempt the weather and drive in a bit of rain.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob,

The trip was great. Thank you and Michele.

What a Colorado Type trip. We were worried in the morning if we had enough sun screen and then in the afternoon if we had enough water proof clothing. I love the drive down. And to see 14 Cobras in a row. WOW.

We drove home after a quick stop at the El Colorado. Rode in rain all the way. I think that is as wet as we have ever been in the Cobra. Did not use the top, just put on our rain suits and drove up Hwy 83. We got home about dark and started to dry out. Got the Car dried out and cleaned up yesterday. Now we are ready for another adventure.

Hoping to go to High Plains on Saturday or Sunday to watch. Have you been there yet?

Dick and Candy
Old 07-27-2009, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
Bob,

Hoping to go to High Plains on Saturday or Sunday to watch. Have you been there yet?

Dick and Candy
I raced there with NASA a month or so back. It's a great track, very challanging. But the facilites are a little rough.

If you go, pay the $25 and take a few paced laps around the track. It will be worth it.

I'm thinking of going, but not sure yet. I have some pots on the fire, and if one of them comes to a boil, I won't have the time.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have heard (from Keith Hall) that they have been doing a lot of work on the facilities and that they are coming along real nice. Good idea on the laps. I am also thinking of going out one of these open track days to run it for a little while. New suspension on the Cobra and it handles a lot better.

Dick
Old 07-27-2009, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Al Bockman
Not Ranked     

I must be living right. I went back to Denver on Hwy 93 - all the traffic lights were green (even those through Parker!), and I even had a little blonde riding in a Ferrari give me a big smile. For some reason the guy driving the Ferrari wasn't as friendly. I pulled into my garage just as it started to rain.

It was nice to complete a drive this year without getting soaked.

Al