17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-10-2014, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Best "King Cobra" kits ??

Good evening, my name is John DeRocker and the son of the former owner of "Thunderbolt Enterprises" John Ysker in Blaine, MN.

My father was in the business for many years of building Cobra Replica's and Pantera's for customers that wanted "Well built" and "Fun" kit cars. I grew up building these cars with my father but then entered the military in the late 80's and we slowly drifted apart over the years. A few years ago, my father passed, but I never lost the hopes of building myself a "King Cobra".

I remember my father talking about the significant differences between a Cobra & King Cobra being that the later had much more room in it. I always wanted to build one with him for myself, but never got the chance to do so.

With that said, one of the things that always stuck with me was making sure that where I bought the kit from, was well built, the tolerances were perfect and the safety was built into it. I do not remember where my father was purchasing his bodies and accessories from, but I believe it was from out west. He built all the chassis's in-house and only bought the body and extra's to fit his chassis. He used "Torsion Bar" suspensions instead of "Coil-Over" as it road much tighter and the adjust-ability was much better. He also used solid half shafts for the torque and Dana Spicer rear ends to handle the power. I'm pretty sure I will not get exactly what he was building as many of the things he did was kept in-house.

However, now I'm going to have to purchase it from ground up as he has passed like I stated, so I'm starting fresh.

My question is pretty simple:
- What corporation do you guys/gals recommend when buying a King Cobra?

I would welcome any feedback as I have been out of this for almost 3 decades now and I'm sure things have changed dramatically.

Thanks,

JD
jderocker003@gmail.com
Hastings, MN

I'm looking to put at least a 427 into this kit.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

Are you referring to the Cooper Monaco? If so no one makes them in a kit
Old 04-10-2014, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Not sure on the term "King Cobra" could be the Twin Paxton Cobra's or the Cooper chassis car, but for just a bigger Cobra look at WEST COAST COBRA.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm actually not sure. I just remember my father using the term "King Cobra". The only thing I remember was it was much larger inside the cockpit area than a traditional kit Cobra. At 6'2", a smaller version is just too small to have fun in.

Any help would be great or a show that you guys know of would also be helpful. I'm pretty much willing to go where ever to start the education process. I would rather take my timer to pick the right one, than buy it just because.

The project could start in a month or 6 months, I just want it to be the right choice the 1st time if possible.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I tried calling West Coast Cobra but the phone number listed does not work. Are they still in business?
Old 04-10-2014, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Also, to answer your question on the term "King Cobra".

I'm actually not sure. I just remember my father using the term "King Cobra". The only thing I remember was it was much larger inside the cockpit area than a traditional kit Cobra. At 6'2", a smaller version is just too small to have fun in.

Any help would be great or a show that you guys know of would also be helpful. I'm pretty much willing to go where ever to start the education process. I would rather take my timer to pick the right one, than buy it just because.

The project could start in a month or 6 months, I just want it to be the right choice the 1st time if possible.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     

You need to give the West Coast owners community a visit. Join and drop us a line.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The King Cobra was a mid engine Cooper race car. Not very street wise and I don't know of any reproduction currently out there.
Larry
Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

West Coast Cobra, where is Vern? Look up West Coast Dreams.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

He's not talking about the King Cobra race car, he's talking about an extended wheelbase replica made in the 80s and 90s. They haven't been around for years.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also the Maine-ly Classic was longer in the doors, I think some others did the same.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

My friend Mat Twiehaus is 6'3" and has a Lone Star Cobra and he fits quite nicely. Lone does some nice things that make a taller or larger person more comfortable without sacraficing the looks or performance of a Cobra. Talk to Brian at Lone Star.

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 04-11-2014, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

LS427 Competition Roadster

LS427The LS427 has one of the most unique designs of its kind innovatively combining beauty with the beast. The LS427's body lines are elegant in every since of the word with one of, if not the classiest interiors. With a narrowed transmission tunnel, a 4" drop floor pans, and a 4" longer cockpit, the LS427 is truly the most comfortable classic replica in its class of kit cars. For 15 years, the LS427 has been Lone Star's long standing flagship car. No one in the kit car industry can come close to the quality, performance, and comfort that a Lone Star's 427 has to offer.

Lone Star Classics - Kit Car Replicas.

http://spfowners.freeforums.net/
Old 04-11-2014, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Awesome, you guys ROCK !!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Jeff Classic builds beautiful Cobra style cars on Corvette C4 chasis. They are very roomy and of course handle and brake very well. Look him up over on the AZ Cobras site. I'd bet he'd be willing to provide a larger body without a chassis, if you wanted. He's a really knowlegable guy who has been involved in high performance automotive for decades. You could also take a trip to Phoenix to take a look at his personal car. If you see it just sitting by itself, nothing different sould strike you, except for what a beautiful car it is. If its sitting beside a 90 incher, you'd see that its noticably larger.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Going waaaaayyy back, Allied Industries used to offer a "King Cobra" kit. Maybe Pops was talking about this. But you'd have a devil of a time finding one now, I bet.

from the Club Cobra image galleries:
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d..._Cobra_pic.jpg
Old 04-12-2014, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Trip is scheduled to "Lone Star" in 3 weeks. We'll see what comes out of the trip. Thanks for all the help everyone. If it does not work out, I'm sure that there are planty more to go visit.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

I own a West Coast Cobra dubbed many times as the "King Cobra"the reasons are obvious, 6" longer and 4" wider, 9" Ford rear end single axle vs IRS. Dealing with Vern is an issue, for he is preoccupied with his Dreams lingerie website which he has tied with the Cobra Cars. I suggest that if you want to ameliorate your headaches, that you deal with one of his authorized dealers, specifically Perry Adams in the Syracuse NY area. Hell of a guy he will work with you hands down and he is trustworthy. I will PM you his contact info.
These cars are great, look at my pictures, I am very happy with the performance.
Regards
Lou

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: