10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-11-2014, 12:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 300 series
Not Ranked     
Default Hello All- Did you get Collector Plates?

Hello! New to Minnesota Cobra community. I just got my BDR cobra replica and look forward to get togethers here in Minnesota. I have a question thats stressing me out a bit though... FYI my Fla. title says 1965 - Roas - CV
So I take it up and pay the reasonable collector plate fees and then 2 weeks later I get a letter from the DMV saying they are refusing the collector plates because it was built in 2005 and want thousands in taxes etc. So Just taking a survey to find out how many here have Collector plates and how did they get them. or did you just get regular plates.
Our Collector car laws here are great and I just cant see them trying to make this collector car a daily driver. Help Please! I look forward to your responses and meeting up this summer when everyone comes out of the deep freeze.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft racing #470 427sb
Not Ranked     

PM sent...
Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

historical
Old 03-14-2014, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351w
Not Ranked     

I ended up with regular plates, but there have been many variances on the success of others for this. I'm surprised they would be charging new sales taxes on a vehicle that is transferred from another state - unless this is just the regular registration taxes. If it's only a few hundred dollars it's probably just registration taxes/fees, if it's closer to $1,000 or more they're apparently thinking they are owed sales taxes on it for some reason (but it appears they are probably wrong).

MN's "collector plate" law was heavily influenced by the "hot rodder" group, and since they seem to have a dislike for the replica crowd they managed to do a good job of getting "kit cars" excluded from being eligible for them (even though quite often, technically, some of the hod rods some of them build from scratch have very little difference from being a "kit car" or could even be considered kit cars themselves).
Old 03-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterakl View Post
MN's "collector plate" law was heavily influenced by the "hot rodder" group, and since they seem to have a dislike for the replica crowd they managed to do a good job of getting "kit cars" excluded from being eligible for them (even though quite often, technically, some of the hod rods some of them build from scratch have very little difference from being a "kit car" or could even be considered kit cars themselves).
I would bet most of the "32 Ford Roadsters" registered in MN have never seen the inside of a Ford plant! But, hey "they aren't kits because I ordered all of the parts from Speedway and Brooksville and Fat Man....."

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-14-2014, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I ended up with regular plates, but there have been many variances on the success of others for this. I'm surprised they would be charging new sales taxes on a vehicle that is transferred from another state - unless this is just the regular registration taxes. If it's only a few hundred dollars it's probably just registration taxes/fees, if it's closer to $1,000 or more they're apparently thinking they are owed sales taxes on it for some reason (but it appears they are probably wrong).

\

-That makes total sense that the MSRA may of had a big influence on the Kit car/ collector exclusion in the law on the Cobras. Yep lots of fiberglass look alikes there too. Thats what bugs me what the heck is the diff, Both are cool to look at, mainly attend car shows and events.
The DMV wants 2500.00 in taxes plus registration fees to get plates on the used cobra, plus their rounding up the number based on est value and not what I paid, adding another 4k to their est value. So it’s a big ouch in my Mods and improvement budget for sure. I expected to pay only about 250.00 as I had for my other recent collector car. I wish it was only 1k they wanted.
-Keep the stories coming as I am sure many prospective and current MN cobra owners are interested in comparing notes on the MN plate fun and inconsistency of title changes of these extremely limited use cars. I normally dont whine about much but this really bugged me as every cobra I have seen on the road (and not many) had collector, antique, historical plates on them here in MN and in other states. I have a friend who will be going to Register his used Cobra titled as what it represents a 65, it will be real interesting for sure.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 395 Stroker
Not Ranked     

When I registered my SPF in MN a few years ago there was no way they were going to allow it to be registered as anything other than the year the rolling chassis was manufactured. Didn't matter what year the car replicated or what year was stamped on the engine block.

Maybe the hotrod crowd had something to do with that. I suspect a more likely cause is the fact that MN is a blue state and tax revenue enhancement is priority number one.

Beyond the sales tax and yearly registration fees, for me the most irritating part of not being able to register it as a '65 - assuming you follow the letter of the law - is that MN requires both front and rear license plates. That requirement is dropped with classic plates.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the reply chucks1
Oh Yes... I completely forgot about the front plate requirement on regular license plates and nowhere practical to put it? What is the best way to handle that fun situation? Anyone have any photos?
Keep the replies coming too...
Old 03-16-2014, 12:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351w
Not Ranked     

I've had mine on the road since 2006 with just the one plate on the back - haven't had an issue yet.

I keep the second one in the trunk just to see if I can talk out of it if I get pulled over for it "See officer I still have it, but there's nowhere to put it". Doubt that would work, but what the heck.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I've had mine on the road since 2006 with just the one plate on the back - haven't had an issue yet.

I keep the second one in the trunk just to see if I can talk out of it if I get pulled over for it "See officer I still have it, but there's nowhere to put it". Doubt that would work, but what the heck.
Ditto; front plate is in the trunk. Been on the road since 2010, but have been stopped by a highway patrolman. He was going to give me a fix-it ticket, but luckily was busy directing construction traffic and ended up telling me to move along.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I keep the second one in the trunk and have passed by sheriff cars without anyone stopping me yet. If they do make it an issue, Finnish Line sells one that goes through the two bumper posts on one side and I believe that the price is $45.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
I keep the second one in the trunk and have passed by sheriff cars without anyone stopping me yet. If they do make it an issue, Finnish Line sells one that goes through the two bumper posts on one side and I believe that the price is $45.
Yeah, I have one of those brackets. Very nice quality; it's just butt-ugly looking to put the thing on the front of the car.

I also bought a hideaway bracket I thought I'd install under the oil cooler opening, but that's not likely to happen either.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1233-396C.I. Windsor
Not Ranked     

I had no interest in collector plates as there are restrictions in how & when you use your vehicle. For instance, you can not drive it to work or take it to the golf course. Do your home work, I have a very good friend who was ticketed going too work in his vehicle with "collector" plates. This happened in St. Paul. I don't run a front plate and have not had issues in 12 years.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1012 BDR #1292
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbar View Post
Thanks for the reply chucks1
Oh Yes... I completely forgot about the front plate requirement on regular license plates and nowhere practical to put it? What is the best way to handle that fun situation? Anyone have any photos?
Keep the replies coming too...

Vintage motorsports sold me a front plate bracket that is attached to the Blinker light, it doesn't look bad at all. Ohio is really strict about front plates. I tried to upload a photo but didn't have any luck but I do have a picture of it in my album on here
Old 05-28-2014, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I find this interesting. If you had an out of state title that indicated the car was "1966", shouldn't that remain the case? Are they wanting to change the title of the car or just collect more money?? I'm considering purchasing a used Cobra from another state, but will only consider those titled currently as vintage (1965, 66, etc) b/c we are talking about thousands of dollars here depending on what the DMV decides to do.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yes they changed the title. Insisted on changing the title to a 2005, also they would not accept my reciept or bill of sale for what I paid for the car even though it was fully documented and charged me tax on 5,000.00 more than I did pay. So the tax was well over 2 grand and then tabs were 350.00 plus. They won I lost the fight. They changed the title so they knew what my tabs would cost... as they said. What a joke, but I wasnt laughing too hard.

Be prepared for all this to happen to any new Cobra replicar owner.
I love the car but this all came as a big un-pleasent suprise!
I also found out many owners really do not want to discuss the matter either.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is really disturbing and inconsistent practice. How did they determine that the car was built in 2005? How can they CHANGE the title? Did you have to have it re-inspected like a new replica builder would need?
Old 06-02-2014, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The MN inspection for one of these cars really isn't a big deal. The bigger hassle is actually getting the appointments and waiting your turn at the shop if they're busy. The inspector made a half-hearted effort to verify my chassis and engine numbers and made sure I at least had seat belts, turn signals and headlights. My first inspection resulted in the expected failure because I did not have a title or a MN approved VIN.

I sent the failed inspection paperwork to the DMV, who issued a VIN and instructed me to make another inspection appointment to get my VIN attached. At that appointment I was given a "pass" and then just had to go pay for the title/registration.

I saved myself weeks of time by (1) setting my second inspection appointment at the inspection shop before I left the premises, and (2) by calling the DMV to let them know when my second inspection was set so that they would get my VIN paperwork done on time.

After it's all said and done, just pay the exhorbitant license/registration fees each and every year thereafter.

Curious about MN charging you sales tax for what they assumed fair market value would be. I too had all of my receipts and was charged sales tax for what was on my receipt.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, I'll be bringing in an ERA soon enough with a 1966 Title from Florida. I sure hope they accept it as it is titled and I can pay my flat tax, one time registration fee and be merry. Otherwise, I'm screwed.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance No. 1359 / 351
Not Ranked     

In NC, if the current title has it as a 1965 then they will issue a new NC title with 1965. My SP Cobra is titled as a 1965 Ford Convertible and I paid $151.00 dollars in taxes and an extra $20.00 to get an antique car tag. I lucked out as I was prepared to pay the taxes based on my bill-of-sale. Good luck with your registration.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: