April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2002, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Trailer Rental

Looking to be able to rent an enclosed trailer in the Twin Cities for my Midstates. Would only use a trailer once or twice a year, so buying one is an unneeded cost, plus I don't have a place to store a trailer. Longest trip this year is in August to Detroit for the Dream Cruise. Have a 2001 Expedition with the 5.4L and a towing package. Help!
Old 04-10-2002, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For every 40 people who read this posting, I add one more request for trailer information. Just so everyone has something new to read. Trust all is well!
Old 04-11-2002, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

Scott, I've been trying to think of someplace you could rent a trailer but so far I can't come up with anyone. Have you thought about talking to an enclosed trailer sales outfit? Maybe they could help.
Don
Old 04-11-2002, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don,
Thanks for the idea. I've called everyone in the Twin Cities yellow pages. No luck so far. Have a couple leads of folks (private owners) who might rent their equipment!? If we do start a local club, perhaps the club could own a unit for the membership to rent from the club? Anyway, "Woodward Ave. or bust!"
Old 04-11-2002, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Ford 460
Not Ranked     

Scott, I'm also in the Twin Cities. I'm borrowing a friends trailer 5/1 to pick up my Midstates from Bob. There are zero places here that rent cargo trailers. I've been searching for a month. I also would probably only use one a couple of times a year so the purchase and storage is a stretch. Perhaps my friend would be willing to rent it. Shoot me an email if you're interested. I would be interested in a club sharing concept!
Old 04-11-2002, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi, I'd be very interested. The dates are August 15-19. Will we see you in No St Paul or Kellog Ave this May?
Old 04-11-2002, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I live just a few blocks away from the No St Paul mainstreet. I walk there every week. I'll check on the availability and get back to you.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Default no rentals

I tried everywhere in St.Louis, no good. It seems the only people that will rent an open trailer, is U haul. Penske does, but you have to rent THEIR truck also.

Did not want to, but bought a Pace American GT Shadow, delivery next week.

The rental of any trailer, has a lot to do with

a) the insurance normally is picked up by the tow vehicle.

b) to tow a 24' trailer (enclosed) you may need a equalizing/anti sway hitch added to you Expedition. I did. But a trailer like that, will have electric brakes also. Then you need the box on the dash board to control the brakes.

c) Enclosed trailer can be a hand full for those not in the know.

I suspect these reasons are why no one rents enclosed.

Sorry....

Great Asp
Old 04-15-2002, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott, the trailer is a go if the schedules work out for you. I'll give it the full trial run the first week of May. It will be a tight fit but it should work fine. We can tough base later.
Old 04-20-2002, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks. Tried to call and missed you return call. Will catch-up with you eventually!
Old 05-16-2002, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default New Car

Chris, so, let's hear about the new ride.
Old 05-19-2002, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It was delayed a bit by the painter. I'm traveling to Hooper Thursday to pick it up. These have been some VERY long weeks! I just hope the weather warms up for the holiday weekend...
Old 05-20-2002, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hey chris---or any other minn cobra owners

would be interested in your process of registering/titleing.
any tips?

steve hamm---spf coming--was mid june--now mid july
Old 05-21-2002, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You can go to any state Deputy Registration office. They need an original MSO document, original invoices for the major components of your car (frame, body, engine, tranny) or total car on which they'll hit you for sales tax so take the smaller $ road. All the other charges are minimal. If they need more, the central state office will ask you to visit an inspection site for final verifications before issuing a title. It's not that big a deal...

This is also when you can of course apply for a personalized plate (one of the basics of life).

Here's the URL for looking up plate availability:

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/MotorVehicle/sp.HTML

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2002, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Scott,

One alternative you might consider is to rent a cargo van large enough to put the Cobra in. At SAAC 24, there was a couple from Canada that had done that with theirs. He custom fabbed some aluminum ramps to get the car in. I don't remember how he had it strapped down though. Makes for a great traveler, no trailer to deal with.

If you make it to the Woodward Dream Cruise, our club,(Great Lakes Cobra Club) will be parked in Birmingham 0n Woodward and Hazel St. Stop by and see us. We will have 60 Cobras there. We could easily have 100+, but unfortunately we are limited to 60 by Birmingham.
If you haven't seen it yet, you are in for a surprise. Just imagine 40,000 cars and 1.5 million people. Good luck in your search.

Ross
Old 05-21-2002, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA535 with 427FE s.o.& toploader
Send a message via AIM to bonyhadi Send a message via Yahoo to bonyhadi
Not Ranked     

Penske won't allow a car to be put in their box. The cost of a box trailer for a lenghty haul is muck more than
a dedicated transporter. Hauling open for thousands of miles is ok, except what do you do when you want
to sleep or eat while your Cobra is being stripped..... I know....Smith & Wesson.....hey Jamo do you do
criminal law?
Old 05-21-2002, 07:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

while exposed to the outside elements, but since an enclosed trailer seems so far to be not found by you, a U-Haul open trailer can be rented and tows quite nicely. Of course, the car is exposed to rain, any debris thrown by tires on tow vehicle etc and you do not want to tow it with a car cover on it. I rented a U-Haul car hauler several weeks ago for an event 300 miles away and experienced no problems. the U=Haul open trailers weigh a hefty 2,000-2,200 pounds though so large capacity heavy tow vehicle is required, such as you have. good luck and hope to see you at the Dream Cruise. Bill Wells