LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2002, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still dreaming of my own
Send a message via Yahoo to tinybubble24
Not Ranked     
Default New Member

Just a quick hello from a new member. At this point i am a "wanna be" cobra owner. Have enjoyed classic cars my whole life and own a 69 skylark convertable. Looking to learn and buy in the future. My biggest problem is time. Demanding job and 3 kids take any opportunity to build a ground up cobra a pipe dream. So any advice for a guy looking for a turn key vehicle or a previously owned cobra would be welcomed.

See ya
Old 12-29-2002, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you're looking for a local built turn key contact Don Scott, you can email him by finding one of his posts (dscott) on this board. He's a great guy and has been doing this for many years. Otherwise check the classified sections on this site and the other Cobra sites out there.

Do you have a favorite brand of replica? What do you plan on doing with it? Weekend cruiser, daily driver, racing, or a combo of all? There are alot of decissions to make, engine, trans, carb or EFI, color, etc.

Welcome aboard. We WILL see you at the meetings, won't we?

Greg
Old 12-29-2002, 10:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC #004 (Original ERA?)
Not Ranked     

You can buy one for a lot less than you can build one not even counting time. Look to the premium replicas that don't rely on donor parts, preferably one purchased as a turnkey unless you can establish the expertise of the builder and or find a knowledgeable individual to go over the car before you purchase. Then hang on tight and enjoy the ride!

Cheers, Pete C
Old 12-29-2002, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You found a great place to do some homework. Study, Study, Study.

Scott
Old 12-30-2002, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Join your local Cobra Club. Talk to members. Go for rides in their cars. Make sure your wife is involved. If she really wants one, you will eventually be able to get one. If she is not excited about it, it will be only your dream and not hers. Your 3 kids and wife are first priority. But if the dream is shared, your kids as teenagers will think that you are the coolest dad around. They will want to "cruise" the Cobra whenever they can. It is a magnet for both boys and girls. A Cobra is a lifestyle, not transportation. It is better to wait and be sure than get one that does not fit your needs. May your dream become a reality as soon as feasible.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

TB 24,

Pete C. is correct in his posting...At this particular point in time it is much more economical to buy one built than to build one.
A great many of the cars on the market are very low mileage and built very well.. I probably missed the satisfaction of building my own but I'm not sure I was capable of doing it anyway. If I start to lament the fact that I bought pre-built I only have to walk out to the garage and stroke the car once or twice...I feel better quickly...
Make a short list of mfgs. and go from there. Haven't seen a Cobra that I didn't like. I expect prices to start climbing as summer approaches so now is a great time to shop...
4cents worth
Old 12-30-2002, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still dreaming of my own
Send a message via Yahoo to tinybubble24
Not Ranked     

getting great advice. Thanks all. My primary use will be for a fun regullarly driven cobra. Likely will not show or race. My auto philosphy is cars are menat to be driven. Don't want to be scared to drive it orworried about every little nic. Also am a practicle thrift wise spender. Love to look of a tricked out engine but I dont drive with teh hood open so unless I am planning to put into show I am more inclinded to put my money into exterior look and power. Also, love a little rumble but not an overwealming rumble. thinking rear exhaust might be for me. Or something tha will control the thunder. Love to hear opinions to convince me otherwise. Thanks for the input.