17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-08-2004, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Stroked 427
Not Ranked     
Default Twin Cities Newbie...

I took delivery of my crate of parts last week. It was like Christmas all over again. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a paint shop here in the cities. Thanks, Tim
Old 02-08-2004, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

tzimmer, Try and contact Don Scott he should be able to hook you up with some one, if you can't find anyone with fiberglass experience you can call me at 507-789-4672 or nengel@frontiernet.net I just finished one, but have two more roadsters and a coupe to go before I could take anything else on.

Dave
Old 02-09-2004, 05:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates "Street" Roadster, 351W
Not Ranked     

I got mine back from the paint shop in December, and although I'm no expert, I think they did a very nice job. It was done at Bon Auto Body in Richfield.

Given the number of accidents around here lately, this might not be the best time for a paint job!

MACV Advisory Team 16
Tam Ky '68-'69
Old 02-09-2004, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info guys. I am a few months away from paint, but I figured that I better get in line. Who knows it may actually stop snowing some day. Tim
Old 02-09-2004, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, 351W
Not Ranked     

Tim,

I had my Cobra painted last September by Phil's Body Shop in Rosemount. I let them do all the body prep as well as the paint. They did a great job. The picture in my gallery is a bit blurry, but that is my fault. I haven't quite figured out the digital camera yet. Which kit did you get? Holler if you need any help.

Mark
Old 02-09-2004, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark,

I went with a Lone Star Classics LS427 Competition kit. So far I am very happy with it. A few years ago when I first started looking into kits I was going to go with an EM, but the fire kind of took them out of the running. I will give Phil's a call and see how backed up they are. It would work out kind of nice, because I live in Rosemount. My shop where I am building the car is in Eagan. Small world huh? Not to be rude, but could I ask what your paint and body prep ran you? I have little or no intrest in doing much body work myself. Even with the blurry pic, it looks like yours turned out pretty sweet.

Tim
Old 02-09-2004, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

tzimmer, I think Marks car was around 3500.00 they were slow at the time and they used it for fill in work, if they are busy it will be more, if I remember right they had three body guys on it and the rear strips were off center a bit. I'm just south of you guys, share a shop in Farmington, stop by some time.

I added some pictures of the last one I painted.
Dave

Last edited by Dave Engel; 02-09-2004 at 09:25 PM..
Old 02-10-2004, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim/Dave,

Yes, they were slow at the time they painted my car. The price was just under $4000. I think they will probably charge more for the next Cobra. The stripes on the trunk were repaired at no cost to me. I am very happy with the final product and would definately recommend them.

Dave,

Where is your shop located? I would like to see it sometime. I've seen your posts before, but I don't think we have met. How do you know so much about the paint on my car?
Old 02-11-2004, 11:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Mark, I moved in November so I lost my heated shop, so I share a shop with a friend in Farmington just off Hwy 50 by Gods Country nursery. I live in Kenyon now. I don't paint in the shop, renting a paint booth for a day is to expensive it takes around 9 to 10 hrs to paint a cobra with strips, so I take a class at Dakota tech in auto refinishing, I can use the paint booth anytime I want two days a week. One of the body guys that worked for Phil's auto body worked on your car. He no longer works their now.

You are more than well come to stop by, just give me a call or email me. I will be there this Sunday all day working on a FFR coupe body. Hope to see ya some time soon.

Dave

507-789-4672
nengel@frontiernet.net
Old 03-14-2004, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 406 ci SBC
Not Ranked     

Mark...you did meet Dave at the cobra gathering in rosemount in august 2002 when your car was in primer. (I was there too) you'd recognize him if you saw him. He is painting my car. Something funny....the fact that you painted yours yellow/black helped me make up my mind... that was one of my planned schemes but you beat me to it!! Now if I painted mine the same (living so close to you) I'd get pulled over all the time because the police would be looking for that 'damn yellow cobra in the neighborhood that keeps leaving long tire tracks at stop lights!' Ive still got the phone number you gave me at the meeting...I'll see if it works. I'd like to ask a few questions about your project, and maybe see it. Later....
Old 03-14-2004, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Eagan?? Excellent! (I'm right by the high school) Give me a buzz sometime at 612-240-6312... my name is Tom. Got to go...time to install the harness.... happy building!!
Old 03-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 67 Shell Valley - Kevlar; 514:TKO
Send a message via AIM to Jahred
Not Ranked     
Default BIR event?

How many MN members here now? Anybody think about hosting a BIR event?
Old 03-14-2004, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jahred,
What is a BIR event?

Tom,
I have a new number in Rosemount 651-423-4586. You are welcome to visit any time. I would like to see the progress on your car as well. Glad to see you kept the project and didn't sell.

Mark
Old 03-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was referring to Brainerd International Speedway.

The Porsche club runs there several times a year. If we can get a dozen or so Mn members together at such an event that would be a blast.

I notice there is an invitation to an event at Midwest Motorplex near Omaha. That sounds like a pretty good start on that plan.
Depending on level of interest, perhaps arrangements could be made at BIR as well or as an option.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jahred were is Manhatten beach? Never heard of it, I'm guessing there is only about 25 cobra's here in the state. I will talk to Mike and see if he is planning another get togethers this year. BIR sounds like fun but I was under the impression that the track was in rough shape? But I certainly would be interested, if there is enough interest I could check into this, just let me know.

Everyone is invited to our Northwest shoot out this year, for 25.00 we run at Cedar Rapids Iowa drag strip, you can usaully get in at least 15 to 20 runs.

Quick note Bowtie, your body buck is done, about 30 days we will be ready to put her on the car.

Dave
Old 03-14-2004, 06:44 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Manhattan Beach is 25 miles north of Brainerd - though I'm in Omaha most of the time of late. Dunno about the track. I assume its in great shape. They have tons of high profile events there each year and have put a ton into development including on track condo's and the like.

We could check the calendar - either hooking up with a porsche club event or another open session.

Here is a link to last years calendar.

http://www.brainerdraceway.com/indexhtml.html

Are there any "good" racers in MN?? I've done some autocrossing but not in the cobra and am more than a little rusty...........:-)
Old 03-18-2004, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

While I have about 80 passes on Brainerds 1/4 mile, I have only been around the whole track once...on a minibike after the track shut down for the day after the Musclecar shootout. (It's a big track when your top speed is 15mph....) Bowtie
Old 03-18-2004, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Ford 460
Not Ranked     

I would make it if the schedule works...
Old 02-06-2005, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Minnesota Resources

Hi Guys,
I've been researching the different manufactured Cobra Roadsters and I was wondering what your thoughts on build quality and charecteristics of the product made by the different manufactures are?

The end goal is a comfortable street demon that has a good balance of ride quality and performance.

Also if you know any good Minnesota resources for Building, body work Painting, Donor cars, local engine buidlers/suppliers adn fabricators. Please throw them in.

Thanks,
El Burro
Old 02-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

El Burro, there is someone on the board here that does replicas out of Sauk Centre.

I would definately get someone experienced, and if you work with a manufacturer with a turn key option; just do it.

SPF certainly has a great reputation. I like the Shell Valley and the very solid body that comes from their Kevlar option; strong chassis if you are going to do a big block. Not an unmanageable drive out of Mpls.

I went through a number of mechanics after failing to take advantage of the turn key option and just having Shell Valley finish mine. I did finally end up with a mechanic who is very reasonable and has done a couple very nice cobras and other replicas. He used to work as a mechanic for racing teams out of BIR, the Paul Newman crowd et al.

I'd be happy to refer you to him. He is very meticulous. But if you can do it turn key, I'd say go for it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: