28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

The angle of the rear control arm looks too steep, naaaah not really I'm just eating crow from my last comments and had to make something up ha ha! This should be an impressive build.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's quite possible they are off a bit, those little plates were a b!$&% to get into place and soldered. I think that as more and more is added, the slight angle discrepancy should become less noticeable and once the lower control arm goes on, it may become invisible. I toyed with the idea of trying to move them, but was really afraid of the consequences, so I thought twice. Thanks though, for the critique, I should get back to where I was before the restart of the chassis by the weekend...

Garey
Old 01-28-2010, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quickie update... got the main tubes cut, machined, the cross members cut and all of it soldered together, joints dressed and scuffed the whole thing down with a scotchbrite pad... came out nice, better than the first one! Okay, I'm going to bed now... enjoy the pics...

As accurate as I thought the first version was, laying this frame on top of the first shows it was not really so accurate. Having good reference makes all the difference! Thanks to all who have contributed to my project, it has made a difference!

Garey

Last edited by bmwmech1; 01-31-2010 at 07:43 PM..
Old 01-31-2010, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I didn't make as much progress today as I'd hoped, but progress is still progress. I have changed much of the construction, this second time as some of the assemblies must be re-heated several times to add all of the brackets, gussets and mounts. I have pinned almost everything to everything else, so I have an integral attachment between 2 pieces that have to be re-heated. This took alot more time, but has already paid off, so it was worth it in the end... enjoy!

I hope to get the bracketry done for the front suspension and maybe get some of the rear subframe tubing done this week.

Garey
Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 498
Not Ranked     

When you get down to hubs and stuff. Kirkhams have keychains replicating hubs and knockoffs that seem close to 1/8. Thay may have other stuff.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built 289 eclectic mix of fia/ussrc/early comp
Not Ranked     

http://www.autoartmodels.com/web/pro...99F70D3EA034CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-boss View Post
When you get down to hubs and stuff. Kirkhams have keychains replicating hubs and knockoffs that seem close to 1/8. Thay may have other stuff.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looks great so far. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Okay, for anyone who has built one of these frames, you know how much of a pain all of the brackets are to fab up, jig up and attach... believe me, it's no simpler in 1/8th scale! It took 2 days to fab up all 16 of the front control arm brackets, jig them up and solder them on. Patience was key here, as everything has to line up for the suspension to work properly, but it paid off... everything is nice and concentric and now the front-end is getting dangerously close to being done! Only the shock mounts and steering mounts are left for the front suspension mounts to be complete. Then it's onward to the rear suspension "box" and mounts... it's starting to look familiar... enjoy...

Thanks for following...

Garey
Old 02-10-2010, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, I took a snow day today, since we got another 18 inches of snow overnight... I thought I'd spend the day in my workshop, but as it turned out, I spent the day with my 2 year old and the wife, which was just as good! We had the neighbors over for dinner, so my shop time got condensed to a few hours after they left. Oh well... the best laid plans, right? I did get the motor mounts done, the trans mount done and the front shock mounts, too... enjoy!

Should get some build time tomorrow also, so I'll post some more pics tomorrow night...

Garey
Old 02-11-2010, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #086 ,351 Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

I have been watching your build , like others here from the beginning and must say WOW!! You are truly a Master Model builder... Your work is a masterpiece.I look forward to your build photos every day.

I would definetly , at this point in your build rank you up there with the fellow that built the scale Ferrari that has been shown on here as well as Youtube.Will you have a functioning scale motor ? Are you planning on an Aluminum body or Glass? Will this be your only Cobra build or will you have others in the future For Sale? If you did , i would definetly put your build in my cobra collection as thats the only casting i have collected for the past 12 years...

Again , Thank-you for sharing your build.... I cant wait for the next installment to be shown.

Frank
Old 02-11-2010, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFcobra65 View Post
I have been watching your build , like others here from the beginning and must say WOW!! You are truly a Master Model builder... Your work is a masterpiece.I look forward to your build photos every day.

I would definetly , at this point in your build rank you up there with the fellow that built the scale Ferrari that has been shown on here as well as Youtube.Will you have a functioning scale motor ? Are you planning on an Aluminum body or Glass? Will this be your only Cobra build or will you have others in the future For Sale? If you did , i would definetly put your build in my cobra collection as thats the only casting i have collected for the past 12 years...

Again , Thank-you for sharing your build.... I cant wait for the next installment to be shown.

Frank
Thank you for your compliments, Frank! I am flattered by your comparisons to the Ferrari that we've all admired... That gentleman spent something like 20 years building that masterpiece, I hope this build doesn't take that long! I have plans to build a 289 version, a GT40, a McLaren MK8 and possibly a "Birdcage" Masserati after this one is complete and I was given a good idea from a forum member on the Kirkham forum of getting a hold of Tom or David and seeing if they would machine a billet body... I wasn't for that idea, but a CNC milled, 1/8th scale, wooden body buck would be perfect. Then duplicating another one of these would be less time consuming. We'll see if I can make that happen. As for this one, although the suspension and steering will be functional, I have no intention of building a functional engine. That Ferrari is 1/4 scale IIRC, which lends itself to a functional engine, just due to shear size. Mine is more of a static display piece, rather than a functional display piece. Okay, gotta get back to building... starting on the rear suspension tubing tonight! Thanks for watching...

Garey
Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 427 dual quad
Not Ranked     

Name:  1-18th scale 427 SOHC 002.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  36.6 KB
I would love to donate an Eng. to your build, but it's only 1-18th scale.
427 SOHC
Very nice work you have there.............lets hope you take more snow days.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Phew.......
Old 02-11-2010, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Attachment 16230
I would love to donate an Eng. to your build, but it's only 1-18th scale.
427 SOHC
Very nice work you have there.............lets hope you take more snow days.
Lol! I have a 427 twin carb Revell engine on a stand that I'd love to donate as well, except it's 1/6th scale... oh well, guess I'll have to make one, right? Lol!
Thanks for the offer and for watching...

Garey
Old 02-11-2010, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Phew.......
Enough said...

Garey
Old 02-11-2010, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So I got alot of the rear suspension tubes knocked out tonight... still lots left to do, but it's starting to look like an AC frame at last! I milled pockets in the main tubes to catch the front uprights, milled slight holes in the rear crossmember for the rear uprights and milled slots in the tubes to catch the gusset plate. All of that made lining everything up a lot simpler and stronger. Still plenty of brackets to add, but it's getting closer to being done... enjoy!

I'll post another update over the weekend... maybe I can get the rear suspension brackets done... we'll see. Thanks for watching!

Garey
Old 02-14-2010, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, my goal was to get the chassis completed this weekend and I'm 8 brackets and 8-10 tabs shy of being there. It's really starting to look the part, now. Some of the stuff I had to fab and solder was a real treat... the tension arm mounts and the upper differential mounting brackets were a real pain, but worth the aggravation! I should be able to get the rest of the stuff fabbed and on the frame by tomorrow night, so I'll post another set of pics then. I have quite a few hours of solder joint clean up to do, once the chassis is complete, then it's onto the birdcage... enjoy!

Thanks for watching!!!

Garey
Old 02-14-2010, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built 289 eclectic mix of fia/ussrc/early comp
Not Ranked     

very good and thank you for update ..
Old 02-15-2010, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #086 ,351 Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

As i have said aong with others during this build , Amazing !! simply Amazing... I am just blown away at the amount of work and talent it has taken you to get to this point.

Thank-you on behalf of everyone for posting this thread...

Frank
Old 02-15-2010, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK, someone has to say it. How you planning on shrinking yourself to 1/8 scale? Beautiful work, thanks for posting