17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-08-2012, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Motor Trend's SHELBY tribute magazine on stands now

The price was rather high $13.95 but I bought one because it has half a dozen photos I had not seen before. The text is history-once-over-lightly, sometimes studiously stepping around projects that didn't go over, like the Series 1. Many of the more obscure but still historically interesting subjects are absent--Lone Star, Shelby's Indy cars, Lil' Red, Green Hornet, etc.
I only caught one mistake the first read-through, that the GT40 had an overhead cam engine in '64, my info is that it had a pushrod Indy engine , documented in Hans Tanner's book The Racing Fords.
They bravely reproduced old road tests of the 260 Cobra, 427 Cobra and
GT350 though the paper had gone yellow. This softbund issue is 130 pages but they promise a hardbound one with 28 more pages later on (don't know how that will be sold--magazine stands don't take hardbound...).
So now I will be waiting to see the reprint, hoping the 28 additional pages have editorial copy not ads from modern makers of products.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Viking Blue "64" 289 FIA comp car by Superformance #0002, Keith Craft - 331 (460HP), Jim Inglese - 48IDA Weber carbs, BW T10 4spd.
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info. I’ll try picking one up tonight.

Curious to see if the 427 and Series 1 are in the same category…. “projects that didn’t go over”.

I’m only joking!

Last edited by LightNFast; 08-08-2012 at 11:08 AM..
Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Forget to mention it's on heavier stock, cover & inside paper

So maybe that's why they justified the price.
Oddly some pages are glossy, others a dull finish.
I think the most interesting pictures sometimes don't show a car
but instead Shelby conferring with somebody like Gurney, Bondurant, etc.
I would say there are as many pictures in this magazine than there are in Rinsey Mills' 545-page history tome on Shelby!

It's collectible only because magazines have a designated shelf life. I would say you're lucky if you see on at the drugstore 6 weeks from now.
If you miss it, you'll have to wait for the hardbound.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I had picked up a copy last night. I saw the price and put it back. Lot's of picks and new ones. I may go back and buy it.

Ralphy
Old 08-10-2012, 01:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Is there any difference to the Motor Trend August version?