• 3 Post By Mark IV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2021, 02:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 575 with Shelby Aluminum 427 Stroked to 468
Not Ranked     
Default Back for 6th Cobra, a CSX FIA continuation car

Hello folks, it's been a few years since I was last posting on CC forum - my last thread about adapting a CSX roll bar onto SPF318, which worked out magically.

I am purchasing a 50th anniversary CSX 7000 series FIA car that's never been on the road. It has the Ingles 8-stack weber intake on a 289/347 stroker motor. I live in Connecticut and was looking for suggestions on where to take the car to get it properly tuned and calibrated for some fun. Also curious if there is anyone willing to provide their insights on the future of CSX cars, values, prices etc. I'd love to get a read on the forum to see about trends on which models are likely to become more desireable/collectible in the future.

I considered ordering a new CSX which is around 14-18 months of waiting and I also heard that prices for new CSX cars are about to increase as part of the general inflationary trend. While I'm not expecting this purchase to be a substitute for financial investment, I think this car will hold value and might even appreciate.

My original leaning was toward a 427 but I've had 5 cobras before (3 SPF, 1 CCX, 1 Shell Valley) and I want to try something different (for me). One of the things that stands out about the 289 is the normalized foot boxes that conform to the smaller powerplant footprint of the 289 and might be a bit more fun driving. I was shopping for an ERA 427 but could not find one. I'll keep my eyes out for a late model ERA 427 S/C in case my purchase falls through. I still need the CSX to get titled and inspected since it's still on the MSO, and the current owner/dealer is going to handle this for me.

As always, I appreciate this forum and its wonderful members that have provided so many helpful hints and fixes. Club Cobra has been such a benefit to all cobra enthusiasts and a shoutout to all that contribute their time and passion for this wonderful hobby we all enjoy! God bless all of you and your families this holiday season, Merry Christmas!
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 12-23-2021, 03:49 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankym View Post
Hello folks, it's been a few years since I was last posting on CC forum - my last thread about adapting a CSX roll bar onto SPF318, which worked out magically.

I am purchasing a 50th anniversary CSX 7000 series FIA car that's never been on the road. It has the Ingles 8-stack weber intake on a 289/347 stroker motor. I live in Connecticut and was looking for suggestions on where to take the car to get it properly tuned and calibrated for some fun. Also curious if there is anyone willing to provide their insights on the future of CSX cars, values, prices etc. I'd love to get a read on the forum to see about trends on which models are likely to become more desireable/collectible in the future.

I considered ordering a new CSX which is around 14-18 months of waiting and I also heard that prices for new CSX cars are about to increase as part of the general inflationary trend. While I'm not expecting this purchase to be a substitute for financial investment, I think this car will hold value and might even appreciate.

My original leaning was toward a 427 but I've had 5 cobras before (3 SPF, 1 CCX, 1 Shell Valley) and I want to try something different (for me). One of the things that stands out about the 289 is the normalized foot boxes that conform to the smaller powerplant footprint of the 289 and might be a bit more fun driving. I was shopping for an ERA 427 but could not find one. I'll keep my eyes out for a late model ERA 427 S/C in case my purchase falls through. I still need the CSX to get titled and inspected since it's still on the MSO, and the current owner/dealer is going to handle this for me.

As always, I appreciate this forum and its wonderful members that have provided so many helpful hints and fixes. Club Cobra has been such a benefit to all cobra enthusiasts and a shoutout to all that contribute their time and passion for this wonderful hobby we all enjoy! God bless all of you and your families this holiday season, Merry Christmas!
Franky,

I think you'll enjoy the difference between the SC and FIA/roadster configuration, having now completed my trilogy of such body and chassis styles. If your plans include time on the track, you'll, find the FIA more than capable, just take the learning curve a bit slower, as the original chassis/suspension combo takes getting used to vs what you have owned to date. As for values, or future values, don't get caught up in the "investment grade" or "investment quality" that the manufacturer/dealers hype. As long as they continue to pump them out, the investment level will be flat. Instead, view the car as the desirable toy that it is, get in, turn the key, and use it as you see fit, and of course, once again, congratulations, enjoy the ride.

Sincerely,

Bill S.
1985 CCX likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-23-2021, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bill,
Looks like we are both getting back into the Cobra playground after years long hiatus. Good luck on your search and thank you for providing your input, very helpful!
Old 12-23-2021, 05:10 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks Bill,
Looks like we are both getting back into the Cobra playground after years long hiatus. Good luck on your search and thank you for providing your input, very helpful!
The search is behind me, as Rick Muck was gracious enough to deliver my "roadster replica" a week or so ago while picking up my old Caterham 7 (he is a dealer for both brands).

Working on some minor items (exhaust rattle, carb tweaking/tuning) and plan to have it ready to go for my annual New Years Day ride next week.

Bill S.

Old 12-23-2021, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Beautiful, it seems that the 289 is coming into its own.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 12-23-2021, 05:50 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Beautiful, it seems that the 289 is coming into its own.
After reviving the CCX 427SC in the background of the pic, I found that my tastes have changed enough where I did not need what the SC styling had to offer. As such, during a discussion about my Caterham with Rick, this car popped up. Now, having squeezed 4 cars in to my 2 car garage, I felt that adding a 5th would have been counter-productive to my mental well-being. So, a quick, deeper discussion with my wife, we decided to remove two from the equation and replace it with the roadster. Not only less challenging to give all cars equal time, but easier to park and access without my wheel skates.

Bill S.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.

Old 12-23-2021, 06:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Frank

Cobra Automotive is the place to go.
Wallingford, they are masters at performance and know Cobra's.
Buy what you can, take care of it and they will hold value. Look at the last 10 years, all up and for the most part a toy that holds its place.
Enjoy, drive and keep it running well and it will serve you fine over time.
FFR428 likes this.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 12-23-2021 at 06:27 AM..
Old 12-23-2021, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

After my CSX4000 and its (SBF) 427 it always felt like the engine wanted more RPM and as a result rarely got it out of 3rd in town and mostly in 4th on the highway (but that's also because I was muscle memoried to a 4 speed and forgot about 5th except for a few times on the freeway). Anyway, the CSX7000 will be a much more friendly street experience yet quite track capable. After all it was the 289s that won most of the races.

As far as value, the upper echelons like Shelby and Kirkham are not appreciating assets. Rather they hold their own, since they are still being made, against the new versions of the same car. So you will likely not lose money (at least not much) but neither is it going to fund your retirement.

I'm positive you will enjoy the car

(PS, the placement of this in the Models subforum is a tad strange. It's more suited for the Shelby subforum. Maybe a mod can move it.)

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 12-23-2021 at 07:25 AM..
Old 12-23-2021, 11:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
The search is behind me, as Rick Muck was gracious enough to deliver my "roadster replica" a week or so ago while picking up my old Caterham 7 (he is a dealer for both brands).

Working on some minor items (exhaust rattle, carb tweaking/tuning) and plan to have it ready to go for my annual New Years Day ride next week.

Bill S.
That is beautiful, Bill! Very nice ride! You've probably said somewhere else that I missed... is it an SPF buggy spring car?

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 12-24-2021, 12:26 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDUB View Post
That is beautiful, Bill! Very nice ride! You've probably said somewhere else that I missed... is it an SPF buggy spring car?
Yes, SPF 289 Roadster with original type chassis and suspension.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/