Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New kits on the way...

Seems like I may be the only one interested in kits, but since I like the deep growly sound of my own voice I'll post anyway...

Coming soon from Model Factory Hiro (MFH)...

Everything I am mentioning here is 1:24th scale - about 6-8 inches long.

The 427 Cobra Daytona type 65 Super Coupe. Expect the price to be around $250-$275 for an unbuilt kit. MFH kits usually have resin cast bodies, interior tubs, and dashes, and white metal for things like engines, suspension, and interior bits. The suspension bits are usually not very well engineered, and they frequently have trouble supporting their own weight. Racing decals are not always accurate (though this one only has stripes so it should be OK). Their turned aluminum is usually very nice and the bits here (headlights, taillights, wheel rims, Weber intakes) look just as good as anything they have done. It looks like the rear end is a separate insert that might not fit properly 9see third pic) - this is not really accurate as the rear is all one piece on the real car.

MFH has other Cobra kits available Their 427 is not terrible, but it is very expensive considering that there are other options in plastic for under $30.
Their regular Daytona Coupe is not bad (though details are wrong for specific cars). Their FIA Cobra is really a mess, and has a lot wrong with it.

Steve
Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Trumpeter is soon to release a 1/12 scale GT40 MK II kit. I've seen a test shot and it's very detailed and very accurate.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Steve. You're not the only one into 'kits'. I have the old Mini Exotics Super Coupe, which is a conversion for the Monogram 427 kit. It'll get done one of these days. I also have the very nice Scale Motorsports Cobra Daytona. This is a high quality resin curbside that I'd highly recommend (about 1/2 the cost of the Hiro kit). These (and others) have been on hold for a while due to that 1/1 kit in the garage.
Be sure to post pics of your Super Coupe when it's complete, and of any others you have.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
Steve. You're not the only one into 'kits'. I have the old Mini Exotics Super Coupe, which is a conversion for the Monogram 427 kit. It'll get done one of these days. I also have the very nice Scale Motorsports Cobra Daytona. This is a high quality resin curbside that I'd highly recommend (about 1/2 the cost of the Hiro kit). These (and others) have been on hold for a while due to that 1/1 kit in the garage.
Be sure to post pics of your Super Coupe when it's complete, and of any others you have.

I'm very familiar with Matthews Scale Motorsport kit. He gave me 4 of them for doing the decal work for it (because the original guy contracted to do it was taking too long - though he ended up going with him because he found out that he was being replaced and finished up real quick - he should have gone with mine as they were more accurate.)
I would also suggest Historic Racing Miniatures for a full detail Daytona or FIA. About the same price as the curbside Daytona. If you look on the paint reference page you can see a couple of Daytona bodies I've done up - the TDF car is a Gunze Sangyo, and the #11 LeMans car is one of HRMs resin kits (the hood is taped shut for photography).

Steve

Tags
cobra daytona, super coupe, type 65