17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-31-2013, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     
Default Help Registering a Cobra in CT

I am in the market for a Cobra replica. I live in CT. I have looked at numerous cars with non CT titles. Does anyone have any recent experience with registering one in CT, especially a CA SB-100 Car?
Old 03-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

As you have probably realized there's no difference in CT between a used replica and a new one when it comes to registration. They all get the red carpet treatment in Wethersfield.

On a new build from us we take care of the process.

It's got a number of steps that have been outlined in the registration forum here.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyPuppy View Post
I am in the market for a Cobra replica. I live in CT. I have looked at numerous cars with non CT titles. Does anyone have any recent experience with registering one in CT, especially a CA SB-100 Car?
If it is from out of state you will have to go thru full MVD composite inspection and VIN verification in Wethersfield. they will waive the 88.00 fee because it was already registered in another state. Also exempt from emission testing.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech 427 Comp by Craig Coombe
Not Ranked     

My experience was back in 1999, so I hope things may have improved.

I had a terrible time in Wethersfield, and gave up after 3 tries. Although my car is a factory-built Superformance, they insisted that they treat it like a garage-built kit car. They pressed me for receipts for parts, which of course, I only had for the engine. Though my car was built in 1992 and previously titled in LA and FL, they insisted on using a new-car standard. They failed me for things that they never would have failed on my wife's 1991 Camaro, including the last straw for me...a minor oil leak at the shift lever. At every turn, the Wethersfield staff were arrogant and unhelpful. Fortunately, I moved to NH after about two years.

I suggest that if you want a Cobra in CT, it will be a lot easier to buy one already registered in the state...or be prepared for a difficult time. Go over the car with the finest-tooth comb you can find before making the trip to Wethersfield.

Bill
Old 09-05-2023, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK1. 5.0 Ford slightly modified.
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra registration in CT

They want me to take out my Simpson harnees which has a SFI 16.1 for a FMVSS-209 certified lap belts. There is noway I can get these belts out without destrying the car. I have alao been told diferent answer fir the same issue in Wethersfield and Willimantic .
Old 09-05-2023, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Wow, kicking a 10 year old topic... You might search around for some newer topics on CT registration. There are a a bunch.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK1. 5.0 Ford slightly modified.
Not Ranked     
Default registration CT

where are they
Old 09-05-2023, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Registration forum.

Search can be your friend
Old 09-06-2023, 07:38 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydawid View Post
They want me to take out my Simpson harnees which has a SFI 16.1 for a FMVSS-209 certified lap belts. There is noway I can get these belts out without destrying the car. I have alao been told diferent answer fir the same issue in Wethersfield and Willimantic .
Yes the belts are a requirement. Not sure how changing the belts out could be so difficult? Especially when certified belts expire and would need changing out for any on track events.
Old 09-06-2023, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydawid View Post
How old are the Simpson belts? I have a set of RJS harnesses that are SFI rated but also have a tag stating they meet FMVSS 209 regs . Take a close look at all the tags on them if you haven't already. My car is still a build in progress. But trying to comply to current CT DMV regs. For when that day comes. Curious if I will have a issue?
Attached Images

Last edited by FFR428; 09-06-2023 at 11:47 AM..
Old 09-06-2023, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, if this is where it's going to be discussed...

CT is most likely requiring a DOT approved belt. Last time I looked none of the racing harness systems, 4 point, 5 point, Simpson, Crow, etc. that are DOT approved. But I just google searched and this showed up:

https://www.schrothracing.com/post/s...egal-harnesses

Although it seems to refer to harnesses that attach to standard 3-point systems rather than being DOT approved 4-point systems...

So you might be able to swap out for these and still keep the harness style in the car. I didn't look to see what kind of mounting system they use but the ones I used in the Cobra and GT used a kind of eye hook and double snap.

Now as far as racing harness expiration goes.... That matters if you're going to track the car. I was at one event and they mentioned to another participant that his harnesses were expired but they would let it go. I suspect they are a little more relaxed for amateur track days than pro The reality is that for street use the age is irrelevant - else DOT approved seat belts would also expire and there are lap belts from the 60s still in use... My observation from my harnesses is they were much sturdier than what you find in most vehicles especially after a few years with frazzled webs...

For expired harnesses I recall one would re-web but the price wasn't that much different than a new set. Others won't re-web at all.

So I'll ask a question similar to the one I asked in an Australian topic: If someone wants to register an original CSX2000 or CSX3000 Cobra, will CT make you put in a 2023 seat belt??? To me "replica" means as it existed then, not as you'd like to have it exist now. If that is the goal then just get some Cobra plastic and mount it on a Miata body.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 09-06-2023 at 12:19 PM..