• 1 Post By jualwatt
  • 1 Post By 66gtk
  • 1 Post By JoeT
  • 1 Post By JoeT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 ac cobra body CMC 351 Cleveland 409 H.P.
Not Ranked     
Question Registering a cobra replica in Ct.

I reside in Tolland Ct. Bought a 1966 cobra replica from a licensed dealer in FL. Having the car shipped as i type. The title says 1993 cobra 2 dr. ( that was the year it was completed and titled) Do i try to register it that way??? Has side pipes with no heat shield. But in 66 they didnt have them. No catalytic converter. Emissions???? Do i register it as a 1966 composite replica??? It has a 1977 351C and various other parts to complete the build. Should have most of the reciepts. Do I register it as an early american antique??? You see where I am going with this!!! My head is spinning. So many laws and regulations in this state its ridiculous!!! I want to get it on the road before snow flies and try it out!!! Dont think thats going to happen. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and happy motoring!!!
Old 10-05-2014, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech 427 Comp by Craig Coombe
Neutral     

I hate to say it, but I had such a terrible experience trying to register my Cobra in CT that I'll never forget it.

Many Cobras are successfully registered there, so it can't be that bad for everyone. I suggest that you get help from someone who has been through it and knows the process and the people...maybe ERA? You will need to BE PREPARED.

My Cobra had been previously titled in FL and was several years old. It was a Superformance. I was required to go through the same rigorous inspection as a newly-built kit car. They demanded receipts for all the parts used and did not seem to understand the concept of a factory-built replica. They failed the car for such things as a minor oil leak from the transmission linkage. Throughout the process, the officials were uncommunicative, rude, and unreasonable. After several attempts, I gave up and just drove local streets during the two years I lived there.

That experience was about 17 years ago. For your sake, I hope things have changed.
raoulmc likes this.

Last edited by mudhenk27; 10-05-2014 at 04:53 AM..
Old 10-05-2014, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

It was better for me 2 years ago. My car also came from out of state.
Yes, you will have to go thru the crazy inspection in Wethersfield for sure. I rented the side shields for the pipes, also came with the installable /removable baffles for the noise. ERA charged me 150.00 for these. The inspector did give me crap about the oil leaks but I did promise I was fixing them immediately. The other thing that almost failed me was no guard in the grill. They were very concerned about the fans and a kid sticking his hands in there. If you have the fans, take them out for the inspection!!!
That or install a grill...(no thank you)
Because it was already registered and not a new build, they waived me on all the receipt stuff. This was not a favor, it was standard procedure. They called this whole thing a courtesy inspection.
As far as what to register it as: The new law say you can register as the year it represents. I registered it as a 65 but it says composite somewhere on reg. This is good because it excuses you from emissions. Being register as a 65 also give you a flat assessment of 500.00 value which in my town comes to a whopping 13.00 a year in property taxes!!!
Hope this helps you and good luck!
raoulmc likes this.
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 10-05-2014, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     
Default reply

Thanks so much for the info and taking the time to reply. Raoul
Old 10-06-2014, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1134, Roushcharged Coyote Aluminator NA
Not Ranked     

Raoul,

While the inspection is a pain, be sure to fill out your application correctly as the paperwork must say "composite" indicating a composite vehicle for the "must be registered as the year it most closely resembles" DMV statute to be applicable (note that this is a fairly new statute (2009) and I found many DMV personnel were unaware of it and I had to educate them (even the New Britain DMV close to ERA)). My 2012 Backdraft is registered as a "1965 composite cobra roadster" for year; make; model name and body style. Registering as the "year it most closely resembles" also means you can register with "Antique" or the new "Classic" plates which definitely has its advantages as David pointed out.

The only issue that may arise is if the prior title does not say "composite" on it somewhere, but even if it does not, I would still try this route.

Julian
raoulmc likes this.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jualwatt View Post
Raoul,

While the inspection is a pain, be sure to fill out your application correctly as the paperwork must say "composite" indicating a composite vehicle for the "must be registered as the year it most closely resembles" DMV statute to be applicable (note that this is a fairly new statute (2009) and I found many DMV personnel were unaware of it and I had to educate them (even the New Britain DMV close to ERA)). My 2012 Backdraft is registered as a "1965 composite cobra roadster" for year; make; model name and body style. Registering as the "year it most closely resembles" also means you can register with "Antique" or the new "Classic" plates which definitely has its advantages as David pointed out.

Julian
This is encouraging news for you in CT. The car I purchased was titled in CT as a COMP car, but has 2001 as the date. Must have been the way they did it back then (prior to 2009). Now in MN, it must remain a "2001" car and is not eligible for classic plates or cheaper registration/taxes.
raoulmc likes this.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulmc View Post
Thanks so much for the info and taking the time to reply. Raoul
no problem...that is what the forums are all about
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 10-07-2014, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wink your cobra

I read somewher and you could google it..... That you can register your car in Maine. You do not have to live there. You can title it and register it with antique plates then change bak over to Ct. or leave it that way. Dont quote me exactly but try to find that post I found somewhere. Maybe that will help you.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3985:
Neutral     

I brought my car to Hamden DMV because I moved to CT with it already titled. The guy there did a "courtesy" inspection. He checked each item on the DMV form (you can get it from their website)

They changed my title from saying "kit" (as required in Colorado where we moved from) to "composite" . Process was quick and painless. I would drive down the extra 25 minutes and wait in the longer lines than Whethersfield

The inspector in Hamden was great I would recommend seeing him, but have everything on the list done. he went line by line checking everything but gave great attention to heat shield and safety stuff
raoulmc likes this.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3985:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulmc View Post
I read somewher and you could google it..... That you can register your car in Maine. You do not have to live there. You can title it and register it with antique plates then change bak over to Ct. or leave it that way. Dont quote me exactly but try to find that post I found somewhere. Maybe that will help you.
I looked into this myself. Maine will not do this for "kit cars". They will title and register for other vehicles for you
raoulmc likes this.