Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   New England Cobra Enthusiasts (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/new-england-cobra-enthusiasts/)
-   -   Connecticut Registration (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/new-england-cobra-enthusiasts/134465-connecticut-registration.html)

philminotti 08-23-2015 04:46 PM

Connecticut Registration

I know this is a recurring topic, and I have read all applicable threads, but there hasn't been anything posted in about 3 years.

I'm ready to get my Cobra inspected in Wethersfield. I have my R-95 application and even printed out the relevant sections of Public Act 09-187 which states that "The model year designation for the purpose of registration of a composite motor vehicle inspected in accordance with this section shall be the model year that the body of such composite motor vehicle most closely resembles." So, that seems to be covered.

Form R-157 (Composite vehicle requirements) states that "prior to inspection and registration, each composite owner shall file an application entitled…"
Does that mean I call for a composite inspection appointment with my R-95 in hand or do I need to submit the R-95 application to somewhere prior to making the appointment?

Any other things I haven't thought of yet?

Thanks,
Phil

Cashburn 08-23-2015 07:30 PM

No appointments. Bring all forms with you. Good luck.

Murky781 08-25-2015 07:07 AM

Make sure you register it as a vintage car. I was forced to register mine as a 2009 and now I'm in a mess with emissions! 69 motor but DMV says I have to pass emissions! Not going to happen. Dmv says it's an emissions problem, emissions says its a registration (DMV) problem. Been working on this, on and off for almost a year now.

PeteF 08-25-2015 10:46 AM

I believe the key word at the Ct DMV is "composite" vehicle. That gets you the emission exemption. And have receipts for major components like engine, transmission, to provide proof of purchase. Good luck.

ZOERA-SC7XX 08-25-2015 05:35 PM

Yes, what PeteF said. Composite is the key to 'emission exempt'. I spent all morning there (eight years ago), so get there early on the day they do inspections. Also be sure to trailer the car there or they won't look at it. The inspector spent 45 minutes looking at the paperwork (on his lunch break) and another hour looking at the car, both exterior, interior, engine bay and up on the lift. Checked brakes, and alignment, which were all good (I did it with the string method). Passed first time through, but like I said, I was there all morning. If they want you to go through emissions, somebody F'ed up. That was before the 'vintage' rule took effect, so no vintage plate for me. Good luck.

Don 12-23-2015 07:26 AM

Phil, any thoughts etc regarding the inspection, registration etc., procedure that you experienced ?

DMV: Composite Vehicles

Cashburn 12-23-2015 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX (Post 1360526)
Yes, what PeteF said. Composite is the key to 'emission exempt'. I spent all morning there (eight years ago), so get there early on the day they do inspections. Also be sure to trailer the car there or they won't look at it. The inspector spent 45 minutes looking at the paperwork (on his lunch break) and another hour looking at the car, both exterior, interior, engine bay and up on the lift. Checked brakes, and alignment, which were all good (I did it with the string method). Passed first time through, but like I said, I was there all morning. If they want you to go through emissions, somebody F'ed up. That was before the 'vintage' rule took effect, so no vintage plate for me. Good luck.

The inspectors today are far better to work with. The experience is no longer painful or extended in the inspection lane... you will however spend hours in the big building waiting to pay the fees.

You are entitled to a courtesy re-inspection and they will re-qualify your car under the Classic registration and allow the tags that come with it.

Cashburn 12-23-2015 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don (Post 1375716)
Phil, any thoughts etc regarding the inspection, registration etc., procedure that you experienced ?

DMV: Composite Vehicles

I do know he had some issues getting on the 4 post lift :eek: and the inspectors no longer require composites to drive on it (which is nice because it really is a bus/heavy truck lift and not friendly for low slung cars).

philminotti 12-23-2015 08:11 AM

Wow, where to begin...

As has been mentioned numerous times, read and re-read the composite requirements document. They do check everything. Like I said, they failed me on my seat belts on my first time through. I think they cut me some slack on the ride height and "scrub line" specs though.

As Cashburn stated, their 4 post lift has an angle of attack that is much too steep for a cobra, especially one with undercar exhaust. I guess that turned out to be good, because the undercar inspection was deferred. I can't imagine they would have loved my rear main leak.

They spend a lot of time looking for serial numbers on the block and trans. They don't "get it" that aftermarket parts don't have serial numbers. In fact, my Pond block only has "C6AE" casted on it. I spent a fair amount of time just shrugging my shoulders. There's a fine line between playing dumb and looking like an idiot when it comes to the inspectors.

Have the receipt for the block, transmission and car assembly. No leeway here at all. Not only do you need it for inspection, the sum total of these three items will be used to calculate your sales tax when you go to register it. I had forgotten about the tax, and was caught more than a little off guard when I had to pay a luxury sales tax on over $95K.

Whichever manufacturer your car is, have them generate a Certificate of Origin for the car. I didn't have that on my first attempt.

Ultimately, the inspection process doesn't take too long. Mine would've taken longer if I had run over the inspector....because I nearly did when I accidentally tried to start the car with it in gear. I was a bit frazzled by that point...

The registration process on the other hand is achingly painful. None of the clerks knows what a composite is. The senior person will have to get involved every step of the way. And of course, getting that senior person always seems to take an hour. For every step. I got in line at the Hamden DMV at 7am and finally drove home with my new plates at 3:30pm.

Good luck to anyone negotiating this process.

Phil

philminotti 12-23-2015 12:05 PM

Just a follow-on about receipts... They accepted the receipt for the block only. So I payed tax on only 5k of a 20k+ motor. If you bought your motor complete from a vendor, try to get them to generate a receipt for just the block. Probably save you nearly a grand in taxes.

Mark IV 12-23-2015 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philminotti (Post 1375738)
Just a follow-on about receipts... They accepted the receipt for the block only. So I payed tax on only 5k of a 20k+ motor. If you bought your motor complete from a vendor, try to get them to generate a receipt for just the block. Probably save you nearly a grand in taxes.

So you are admitting sales tax fraud online?

Lucky those dumb arse public servants NEVER read this board....well except for that Cali attorney general who did and used to post...............:eek:

Cashburn 12-23-2015 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark IV (Post 1375745)
So you are admitting sales tax fraud online?

Lucky those dumb arse public servants NEVER read this board....well except for that Cali attorney general who did and used to post...............:eek:

Back a few years ago I was in the DMV inspection building and an actual discussion on this here forum was printed out and on the wall :eek:

philminotti 12-23-2015 06:05 PM

Jesus H. Christ. Some of you guys...

It's a practical matter, more for the DMV themselves. I built my engine with components from all over the county. Literally a dozen vendors and probably 50 or more discrete orders. So for me, all they needed and/or wanted was the block. If you don't want the good advice, that's your problem.

Mark IV 12-23-2015 06:10 PM

So it looks like Jay and I are "that guy!"

Every once in a blue moon we do agree!

Merry, Merry to all.

philminotti 12-23-2015 06:21 PM

It's probably the scotch talking...it's good to have a few days off work.

Merry Christmas to all!

ZOERA-SC7XX 12-23-2015 07:04 PM

Another thing I just remembered. After inspection was over, I was issued/assigned a new VIN number ($88 extra). Once I got inside to register the 'newly' numbered car, I wasn't allowed to because my collector car insurance was for ERA # 718. I had to have my agent fax a new insurance card to DMV with the new (1/2 hour-old) VIN number.
So i will not, under any circumstances, re-inspect my car for just a vintage plate. I did, however, find and buy a beautiful original 1966-67 black Calif. licence plate to wear under my CT plate. If I forget to cover the Calif. plate, I might end up with a ticket, depending on how much of a prick the cop may be. I've never been stopped yet in eight years, so...

Cashburn 12-23-2015 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX (Post 1375763)
Another thing I just remembered. After inspection was over, I was issued/assigned a new VIN number ($88 extra). Once I got inside to register the 'newly' numbered car, I wasn't allowed to because my collector car insurance was for ERA # 718. I had to have my agent fax a new insurance card to DMV with the new (1/2 hour-old) VIN number.
So i will not, under any circumstances, re-inspect my car for just a vintage plate. I did, however, find and buy a beautiful original 1966-67 black Calif. licence plate to wear under my CT plate. If I forget to cover the Calif. plate, I might end up with a ticket, depending on how much of a prick the cop may be. I've never been stopped yet in eight years, so...

I drove around with no front plate on my daily for 7 years. This summer BOOM, pulled over near Lime Rock. They won't take your car for no front plate, but a fake plate? Hope you're on good terms with blue.

What year is your composite listed as? The property tax savings is very nice to have it properly registered.

ZOERA-SC7XX 12-24-2015 08:35 AM

2008. Yes, that would be a good reason to re-up. Spending about $500 per year on tax.

twobjshelbys 12-24-2015 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philminotti (Post 1375754)
Jesus H. Christ. Some of you guys...

It's a practical matter, more for the DMV themselves. I built my engine with components from all over the county. Literally a dozen vendors and probably 50 or more discrete orders. So for me, all they needed and/or wanted was the block. If you don't want the good advice, that's your problem.

And the reason they didn't charge you for those parts was that you bought them at retail and paid sales tax at point of purchase. It's not that they weren't interested, just that it had already most likely been paid.

philminotti 12-24-2015 12:04 PM

Not true Tony. My heads and cam came from KCR, just like the block. No tax. Rotating assembly from Survival in Michigan. No tax. FAST EFI. No tax. In fact, the only stuff I may have paid taxes on was from Summit, and I'm not even sure about that.