9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2004, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     
Default NE Cobra Enthusiasts

Can someone direct me to info on how organized you all are. Regular Meetings?. Location? Anyone down in SE CT? So far I've not found much this side of the Greenwich line.

Jim
Old 03-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Jim-
You're always welcome to join us Tri State Cobra guys.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 03-26-2004, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chaplin I don't know about Jim? He has built the best ERA I have seen but they all look like trailer QUEENS He has a 3 car carrier with his cars in there. The GT40 was the best and went and won at car shows I only saw it driven on and off the trailer to the rug. Mine is no as pretty as Jim's and only gets track time at this point so the stone chips are starting to show. I guess he can come Only problem is Peter coming TOO? Mike you better work this out first Rick Lake
Old 03-26-2004, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     
Default Trailer Queens

Rick:
I'll admit that I haven't taken the opportunity in recent years to drive my cars very much on the track, much less on the roads around here. Perhaps it's at least in part of my age stage and condition; i.e. I know I have bad hand eye coordination and that I'm mortal. I do admire the work and engineering that you've put into your car and the fact that you're willing to go out and thrash it at the R&G and other events. For all of it, I wish that event was not as far as it is away as it has been in recent years and such a logistical effort to get to from mid CT. I thought that when the event was held at mid-Ohio (where you spent half the time dressed in an OSHA yellow jumpsuit under the ERA FIA trying to change out the clutch) as great fun.

Frankly, the FIA I have now is almost too much a "track car" to drive on the street and I've too much invested in it to thrash it on a track. But it sure looks nice.

While from time to time I see other Cobras in the area, there just doesn't seem to be much organized effort here. ...and no, Peter is not part of the deal. He's going racing this summer with his son (Prince Peter B.) I'll post a picture of that effort. Talk about little league Dads!

Jim
Old 03-26-2004, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Hi Jim:
A formal club the NE Cobra Enthusiasts is NOT (at this time).
I have been trying to get us organized, and we now have about 35 or so "members" in our list ranging from Maine to White Plains and all points in between.

Since we cover such a large geographic area, and are hampered by the winter weather, we will need to get regional activities planned and established.

About once a month I publish an informal "newsletter" to all members and cross post it here on Club Cobra.

Our first Southeastern New Enland "event", is the April 10th (Saturday) Connecticut Food Bank and WPRL (Rock 99.1 FM) Custom Rod and Classic show which will be held in West Haven.
9 Am to 3 PM. Details on this are posted in the March Newsletter Thread. We will use this event to get organized here in the SE area so if you can make it there, please do. Bring the Cobra or just visit with us if it is not running yet.

I received your email and have added you to our list of members.

For others that wish to join the NE Cobra Enthusiasts, here is what you need to do...

Send me an email that contains...

Your Name
Your Town or generic region of your state
Your State
Your Club Cobra Handle (Userid)
The Make and type of Cobra you have or "No Cobra Yet" if you do not have a Cobra at thise time
Particulars on your Cobra.

I will add you to the list and you are in.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker

Last edited by REDSC400; 03-26-2004 at 05:32 PM..
Old 03-26-2004, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art:

Thanks for adding me to the list. I'm always in favor of substance over form. Sometime the best things happen naturally.

As an aside, I'm in the process of building, pretty much single handedly, a little modest garage down in back of the house which has come to be known (particularly by my spouse) as the bachelor's sanctuary. The theory is that when (not if) you are "locked out" and need to go and think about what you have done, you can let yourself in and have time and solitude until such time as you are ready to go home and face the music. So I have informed all my male friends, that the sanctuary is there for them, admonishing them only that when they have come to their senses and are ready to go home to just put the key back under the mat and leave the place a little better than they found it and quietly let themselves out (and never breath a whisper of where they have been). We ask no questions and the location of the garage will be a closely held secret. Should you find yourself in similar dire straights, I assure you, you won't be located. We call it the witless protection program.

My goal is to have a little garage warming this coming fall with some sort motorhead mania/culinary event. There is enough room here for a modest gathering of cars, the admission requirement being only that you bring (or would like to bring) along an interesting vehicle to share with similar minded folks.

I'll keep you posted.

Jim

PS: I was at LR on Saturday sans Cobra this past year. For the past 15 years or so though it has been the annual pilgrimage; a weekend long session of vintage race car watching, barbecue and cruising the Berkshires in some of the nicest cars ever made.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 03-26-2004 at 05:56 PM..
Old 03-26-2004, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Not Ranked     

Jim:
That sanctum sanctorum sounds swell to me as does the outing that your are planning in the fall. Count me in!

Yes, the NE Cobra Enthusiasts is an evolutionary thing. The members will take it where they want it to go. It gets down to folks and people making it happen... it always does... always will.

BTW, I am down in your neck of the woods on occasion as I go and visit my customer (Reader's Digest) there. I think they may be near you per chance? Next time I visit them, I will let you know I am in the area. Maybe we can meet?

Tomorrow I will be putting a new set of March pulleys and a new alternator (Polished) on the old ERA. Should be a good day for it as they are calling for rain. I hope all aligns up well as planned.

I too have a sanctum sanctorum. I have taken over the horse barn behind the house and it is now the snake pen. Tis Fun.
Did you read about Stush's new Kirkham 289 FIA he just got?
Lots of 289s around now.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker

Last edited by REDSC400; 03-26-2004 at 05:58 PM..
Old 03-26-2004, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art:

Reader's Digest, as you know, is in Bubbaville (a/k/a Chappaqua), the next town north of here, even though the mailing address is Pleasantville. If you use the Saw Mill River Parkway to get there you literally pass within half a mile of my door. All you need to do is get off several exits earlier. I happen to trundle into White Plains to work most days and, either way, would be more than happy to hook up with you on your next excursion across the state line.

Jim

PS: Ahem, sanctum sanctorum? Be thou a traveling man?

Last edited by Jim Holden; 03-26-2004 at 06:06 PM..
Old 03-26-2004, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim:

The Sanctum Sanctorum ....

It comes from my history and love of comic art, especially, the artwork of Everett, Colon and especially Frank Brunner who drew Marvel Comic's Dr. Strange, at different times.
It was Dr. Strange's hide-away... private place...
Superman had such a place as well If memory serves...

http://www.docstrange.com/

It takes me about ohh 80 minutes to get to Readers from my home. I go up 25, across west on 84, south on 684 to the SawMill. A really nice drive and pretty much easy. That was BEFORE the I-95 burn up yesterday in Bridgport.

That has screwed up the traffic here in CT big time.

It took me 2 hours to get to ESPN in Bristol, a trip that normally takes only 45 minutes. Go figger.

Last edited by REDSC400; 03-26-2004 at 06:42 PM..
Old 03-27-2004, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim Holden Your right Jim. If I had the money you have in your cars I would not be racing them. If it got scratch I would go into kill mode. ERA is unlucky in the fact that they where there before FF. May you could buy and hide it in the trailer and Peter would not know?? Race it and save the others. I am not buying the hand and eye thing though. You drive a 3 car gooseneck with the best of the larger truck drivers. and always under speed Maybe you can use the Russin car more. The playing feild is getting tougher every year, it's going to cost 15k this year alone with the new motor. Keeping up with the Jones. Rick Lake
Old 03-27-2004, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick:

There is another little reason why I don't want to take my car out onto the track. It's the mortality thing. In recent years I had become friends with Bob Akin, of Hudson Wire Racing fame, who won Sebring and raced at numerous venues around the world including LeMans. As you may recall, he was killed at Road Atlanta several years back while practicing in a Nisson GTP car. I am also mindful , of the fact that some of the very best; Clark, Sena, etc. etc. were taken off, in an instant, driving the very best cars of the time maintained by teams of mechanics. If the very best can screwup, what chance do I have, a mere mortal? Having said that, I am still working on my Mustang R (for replica of course) that has a full roll cage, fuel cell and the biggest brakes I can put under it. Then I'll go and play. I start at the back of the group and when they catch me in a lap or two, I'll pull into the pits and go to lunch.

Jim
Old 03-27-2004, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 392
Not Ranked     
Default April 10th

Hey guys I'm near you all in Rye n.y. Hope to meet you up at west haven ct. on the 10th. I hope to have my new car by then to bring along. I work at the family Ford dealership in Rye , some of my car buds have some neat fords 1966 427 factory fairlane med riser, 1968 factory cobra jet 1st 50 race caretc. Hope to get them to come along. loking forward to meeting ya Michael
Old 03-27-2004, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim Holden Jim the best race car drivers in the world, better then half are dead. I race the same way you do buy starting at the back of the pack and feeling out the car. run 3-4 laps and bring it in. If everything is OK save it for time trails. Unless someone is timing you on every lap and nobody get in the way of slowing you down, you just beating up the car. I will start check tire temps this year to see how the alignment is. I am there to have fun, help other racers, bench race, and bring the car home in one piece. One problem, I keep hitting deer bodys out in Wheeling, 2 years in a row. 4 total. Thank GOD the truck is 4 wheel drive, the problem is the trailer has a 4" drop axle for the cobra. I wrap it well with moving blankets and tarps to protect it from stone clips from the truck but the deer are a different problem. I will get an enclosed trailer in a year or two. It rains every year I have gone out there. This is normal. Washed the truck 1 week ago and we got 4 inches of snow One thing Jim, Why is it always the driver that screws up and never hear the the car had a fault?? Lawsuit? Airplane bussiness is the same, always the pilot never the plane. You made me Hungry. I am going to eat. Rick Lake
Old 03-27-2004, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick:

Is this the same trailer that passed you on the highway a while back? There is nothing like a enclosed trailer; keeps the toys secure, safe and clean... and you can put all the other stuff in as well and not worry about it being out of sight while you make a pit stop on the interstate. Peter and I went out to Indiana to pick up a 20' tag enclosed trailer from United in February. When all you need to do is a jaunt somewhere with one car, it's a lot easier than firing up the 3 car rig.

Jim
Old 03-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Hey Jim:
Do you ever race with Skip Barber?

Bob
Old 03-27-2004, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The only racing I've ever seen with Jim is to the front of the line at Ruth's Chris or some other such joint. He kick's my butt every time. Jim is more of a Briggs Cuningham gentleman than a Parnelli Jones knucklehead like me. Rick, I'm still figuring you out buddy.

Don
Old 03-27-2004, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob in Ct Bob Jimraces every year in Pa. around Carliasle. He was the fastest inside and was banging and bumping on the outside. He a sandbagger when it comes to racing. I was thrown off the track one night. You can ask Enzo about is rage driving. The year before he pushed Chuck Gunkie from Cobra restores through the wall gate. Call Chuck and ASK These are all FACTS. OK Jim tell your story??? I have 7 people to confirm the actions. No law suits came from his contol problems He is on the wall with a WARNING. Rick Lake
Old 03-27-2004, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don:

I keepmeaning to ask; how is the next project McFez coming along?

Jim

PS: Now you may dispute my priorities, but evey time we've managed to get the gang together for a weekend adventure, we've never come to blows...
Old 03-27-2004, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick:

You have breached the solemn oath that we all took (on a piece of strawberry pie at the Eat and Park, as I recall,) never to reveal the cut throat racing that goes on each year at Carlisle. All I can say is that this year you better be watching your mirrors.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Holden; 03-27-2004 at 08:09 PM..
Old 03-28-2004, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim Holden I hate pie. I am just Peter from Peter and the Wolf. But don't worry, nobody is listening to the story. Maybe Enzo will come back this year. You only have a couple of years until Peter B. takes the crown away. I will have the last car for racing, but will aviod being lapped. 6 weeks away Rick Lake