Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2004, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351w 497hp on dyno 5 sp TKO 3.89 rear
Not Ranked     
Default CT Inspections

I am 99% done with the build, time to think about inspection and registration. What kind of hoops do I have to jump through? Are my Simpson seat belts ok to pass? Thanks, Tom
Old 12-11-2004, 07:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

You have no idea what is in your future. The last thing to worry about is your seat belts. I took a Superformance already registered in New York to Weathersfield (on a flatbed) and I still had to show up 3 times.

I flunked on windshield, no paperwork, ride height, etc.. The best part was each time they found something they did not like they were done. Come back in a few weeks. Previous posts have mentioned that even ERA cars brought to inspection by ERA people have failed. Good Luck!

Bob
Old 12-11-2004, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Hi Tom:
Were I you, I would go to the inspection site without the car and ask for a copy of their inspection checklist so that you are well versed in what they are looking for. Some of these things are objective and others are subjective.

Things I know that they check are functioning indicators (including side reflectors), headlights DOT approved, tires DOT approved, ride height, heat shields on side exhaust, glass type, radiator puke tank, wheel alignment, seatbelts, gas cap and fuel system, brake system and location of brake lines, all major components and their bill of sale or origin (ie: trannie, engine, chasis, etc to make sure they are not stolen so you have to have the bills of sale for those items in hand).

On the subjective side they look at "build quality" and if they find anything that even hints of shoddyness they can ask you to return with it fixed. So to that end, I think that if you question these fellows in a nice way prior to arriving you "may" learn something.

That said, it seems that thru conversations with may CT Cobra owners, 2 trips is "normal". The inspectors feel obligated to find something wrong it appears. You have to keep a positive and happy attitude during this event.

Good Luck.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 12-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default " A Life Altering Experience "

Hi Tom:

To say the least I was very, no extremely, naive as to what to expect in registering my Cobra in CT. The Cobra had all the legal 1966 Ford title, registration , notarized Bill of Sale and safety inspection from the previous out of state owner, 600 miles when purchased. No paperwork from any 3rd party companies such as Titles Unlimited. I had anticipated using these legal documents for registering as a 1966 Ford. The VIN on the Cobra came from a 1966 Ford and all the documents were in order, i.e, matching VIN. The previous owner was a Federal Law Enforcement officer.

The paperwork was accepted for paying the Sales Tax, no questions, as I say to myself, Ah, step 1 is complete, no problem. I also was able to obtain temp plates, not knowing this should not have been done.

I trailered the Cobra to Wethersfield , but drove to the Inspection Lane with the Temp plates, all within the DMV parking lot. Even though I trailered the Cobra, it was not inspected due to the use of the Temp plates and was informed not to use the Temp plates. In Conn., all cars of the homemade, kit car variety, turnkey with or without the drive train being installed by the builder, must have a Safety Inspection first, at least in 2000, and are considered to be a Composite, which is now the vehicle name, year being the year of registration. I now own a very rare make referred to as a Composite. When obtaing the insurance , the Agent commented on the make and stated " oh, you must have a Cobra "

I did not pass on the 2nd trailered visit, improper paperwork. The DMV would not check the paperwork on the first trailered visit. Had to obtain notarized documents proving legal ownership of the engine, transmission and rear end/suspension.( Thank You Don Scott from Classic Roadsters II ). There were also other infractions, such as a nut that was not tight, etc., etc., nothing major. If the paperwork had been in order, I still would not have passed the inspection. Another Cobra in front of me failed for not having heat shields on the side exhaust.

On the 3rd trailered visit, The DMV inspector was very considerate and understood the situation knowing it was the 3rd visit. While on the lift for inspection of the underside, there was a seat bolt that did not have the correct number of threads exposed even though the nut was tight. I was informed this was sufficient reason to fail the inspection, but seeing everything else was OK I passed with a commitment to change the bolt, which I did do.

After passing the inspection, the Anti-Theft unit, a separate group in the DMV, will review the paperwork, especially the Bills of Sale for the Cobra and complete drive train. The 1966 Ford VIN was checked to make sure it did not come from a stolen vehicle. The CT VIN will then be issued and applied by the Anti-Theft officers, who used extreme care in applying the sticker to the door jam. The two officers were very professional and explained each step to me.

In summary:

* Obtain the CT DMV brochure Composite Motor Vehicles R-157, explains the process and requirements. Mention to the DMV inspectors that you are in compliance with R-157. ( Impressive )

* Heat shield for the exhaust was mandatory in 2000

*Yes, do visit the DMV in advance to witness the test procedure. Such as the brake test, you will be asked to accelerate in the test lane and hit the brakes hard with your hands off the steering wheel.

* Yes, check and recheck the paperwork as mentioned.

* I am not aware of the current CT Emissions requirements and whether the Cobra has to be trailered to a garage for testing prior to the Safety Inspection. At the time I had used my temp plates for the testing using the standard for Composite/Kit Cars which would have been the same requirements for a 1966 vehicle, the 351W passed easily. My Bill of Sale for the engine specifically mentioned the year of the engine block.

* Everyone that adds to this thread will have some good advice from their own experiences.

Good Luck, it is possible , but very important to understand the rules . I could have saved a great deal of time had I done my homework. It is both the DMV's football and field.

When the VIN is being applied and with the plates in your hands, the experience of a life time.

Contact me if I can be of any assistance

Last edited by Don; 12-11-2004 at 10:48 AM..
Old 12-11-2004, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Bob-what did the DMV Gestapo flunk about your wind screen?

Don-they smogged a 1966 motor?!!!To what standards?

My advice would be to find another state to live in.

Last edited by Cobrabill; 12-11-2004 at 11:15 AM..
Old 12-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey CB:
Since you used the word "Gestapo" I can assume you have been through the Connecticut inspection process?

The same windshield went through on the next inspection.

Bob
Old 12-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default CT Emissions

To clarify regarding the emissions. Since the year of registration is assigned as the model year, the testing is required, it just works that way.

BUT, Conn has very liberal emmissions standards for " Composite " i.e., replica or kit cars.

Max vs Test: For a 351W

HC: 484, tested at 99
CO: 5.09, tested at 1.99
NO: 3182, tested at 189.3

The gas cap test is waived
Old 12-11-2004, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Bob- i grew up in New Britski(you know-Polacks,Puerto Ricans or Highways)right down the road (literally)from ERA.

Before i left in '86 i worked at Hartford Harley-Davidson.One of my jobs was to take new bike paperwork down to the Wethersfield office.You couldn't go to one of the satellite offices(N.B.),you had to go to Gestapo Headquarters.

Once you get to know the folks behind the windows they tell you all sorts of things.These are the two most memorable:

When the DMV was short handed(oxymoron-i know),management would call up retiree's and ask them to come back to work and VOLUNTEER their time!

Then some upper Gestapo genious came up with this one:Tell all the union employee's that they could take breaks or have a lunch hour.

Perfect windscreens that fail the first time and pass the second for no reason.
Heat shields?GIMME A FRIGGIN' BREAK.
Emission testing for motors that never had standards.

Back in the early 80's i thought it couldn't get worse.I stand corrected.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don:
Was your car tested on the rollers? If so, who was at the controls? If not, how was it tested? Are you injected or carburated?

Bob
Old 12-12-2004, 06:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob:

Cobra was tested on the rollers with the prior vendor at the State emissions station in Warehouse Point CT.

Forgot the exact speed, but it was for a specific time period at between 25 to 30 MPH , not sure exactly. The monitor screen in the control booth would indicate Green if the speed was in the allowed range. A friend was in the Cobra, I wanted to watch the monitor.

The 351W , .030 over, was built by Don Scott and has a Holly 600 carb, 9.5:1 compression, Ford GT 40 heads, Crower cam ( do not have the specs, but it is not radical, in the Rod terminology, 3/4 ++ race, MSD ignition and distributor.

I will start a new thread in this forum asking for comments from CT residents that have had their Cobra tested with the new system. My emissions date is not until next summer, I plan to go to a owner/operator garage familiar with the type of car rather than a new car dealer.

Not sure with the new system if the rollers will be used or a static test. I had previously requested a waiver which was denied. If the test date is in the winter, the late fee will be waived if there is proof that the Liability insurance had been suspended.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom 351W
Send a message via AIM to joeg
Not Ranked     

Good luck with trying to get an inspector to talk to you. Tried going ahead of time to see what was reguired. They ignored me for 10-15 minutes until i decided to walk into the inspection bay.
Two guys standing there with coffee. Now they had to have heard the bell ring and the light go on. ( out side the bays there is a bell to ring to get there attention) THAT PISSED them off. I explained i had been waiting for somene to answer the door.
I asked my question only to be told- call DMV and ask for the Composite Requirements. Making that call took 45 minutes on hold, then connected to the Inspection dept that i had visited earlier that day to mail me one. GOD HELP you, because they won't.
Took me two visits also, failed because of a drop of oil on main seal. We had just installed it the day before, and no side reflectors.
As mentioned earlier a couple of the inspectors are ok, but if you get the old guy, your screwed.
Good luck- take a tranqulizer before you go.
Joeg
Old 12-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom P

If you want to e-mail me your address, I will send you a copy of the Composite Requirements R-157. As a first step, suggest the requirements are reviewed.

In hindsight, had I been aware of R-157, would saved a trip or two, maybe........

Don
Old 02-15-2005, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3881 427 FE w/2x4bbls and 4 spd toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Re: " A Life Altering Experience "

Quote:
Originally posted by Don

Hi Tom:

To say the least I was very, no extremely, naive as to what to expect in registering my Cobra in CT. The Cobra had all the legal 1966 Ford title, registration , notarized Bill of Sale and safety inspection from the previous out of state owner, 600 miles when purchased. No paperwork from any 3rd party companies such as Titles Unlimited. I had anticipated using these legal documents for registering as a 1966 Ford. The VIN on the Cobra came from a 1966 Ford and all the documents were in order, i.e, matching VIN. The previous owner was a Federal Law Enforcement officer.

The paperwork was accepted for paying the Sales Tax, no questions, as I say to myself, Ah, step 1 is complete, no problem. I also was able to obtain temp plates, not knowing this should not have been done.

I trailered the Cobra to Wethersfield , but drove to the Inspection Lane with the Temp plates, all within the DMV parking lot. Even though I trailered the Cobra, it was not inspected due to the use of the Temp plates and was informed not to use the Temp plates. In Conn., all cars of the homemade, kit car variety, turnkey with or without the drive train being installed by the builder, must have a Safety Inspection first, at least in 2000, and are considered to be a Composite, which is now the vehicle name, year being the year of registration. I now own a very rare make referred to as a Composite. When obtaing the insurance , the Agent commented on the make and stated " oh, you must have a Cobra "

I did not pass on the 2nd trailered visit, improper paperwork. The DMV would not check the paperwork on the first trailered visit. Had to obtain notarized documents proving legal ownership of the engine, transmission and rear end/suspension.( Thank You Don Scott from Classic Roadsters II ). There were also other infractions, such as a nut that was not tight, etc., etc., nothing major. If the paperwork had been in order, I still would not have passed the inspection. Another Cobra in front of me failed for not having heat shields on the side exhaust.

On the 3rd trailered visit, The DMV inspector was very considerate and understood the situation knowing it was the 3rd visit. While on the lift for inspection of the underside, there was a seat bolt that did not have the correct number of threads exposed even though the nut was tight. I was informed this was sufficient reason to fail the inspection, but seeing everything else was OK I passed with a commitment to change the bolt, which I did do.

After passing the inspection, the Anti-Theft unit, a separate group in the DMV, will review the paperwork, especially the Bills of Sale for the Cobra and complete drive train. The 1966 Ford VIN was checked to make sure it did not come from a stolen vehicle. The CT VIN will then be issued and applied by the Anti-Theft officers, who used extreme care in applying the sticker to the door jam. The two officers were very professional and explained each step to me.

In summary:

* Obtain the CT DMV brochure Composite Motor Vehicles R-157, explains the process and requirements. Mention to the DMV inspectors that you are in compliance with R-157. ( Impressive )

* Heat shield for the exhaust was mandatory in 2000

*Yes, do visit the DMV in advance to witness the test procedure. Such as the brake test, you will be asked to accelerate in the test lane and hit the brakes hard with your hands off the steering wheel.

* Yes, check and recheck the paperwork as mentioned.

* I am not aware of the current CT Emissions requirements and whether the Cobra has to be trailered to a garage for testing prior to the Safety Inspection. At the time I had used my temp plates for the testing using the standard for Composite/Kit Cars which would have been the same requirements for a 1966 vehicle, the 351W passed easily. My Bill of Sale for the engine specifically mentioned the year of the engine block.

* Everyone that adds to this thread will have some good advice from their own experiences.

Good Luck, it is possible , but very important to understand the rules . I could have saved a great deal of time had I done my homework. It is both the DMV's football and field.

When the VIN is being applied and with the plates in your hands, the experience of a life time.

Contact me if I can be of any assistance

Last edited by Commodore; 02-18-2005 at 07:47 AM..
Old 02-15-2005, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Registering an out of state Cobra?

In the prossess of purchacing a '96 Superformance that is registered in FL. It has a new '04 Ford crate 351 engine. It is vintage correct visually for a '66 Cobra (no side markers, no cats, unshielded side pipes, no back up lights, no center mount brake lights, OBDII, air bags! and so on) but it is of cource a replica. As it is street driven and properly registered/titled in FL, how big are the 'hoops' the CT DMV will have me jump through to title and register it here? I've read that NJ has an excemption from emissions if you register a car as a 'collectable' and drive it no more than 1,500 miles a year. Can't get a clear answer from CT on that subject. My driveway is short so I want to drive it on our tax funded highways. I know I will survive the CT registration/emission nightmare but any pointers to make the transition smoother would be helpful to me and any others bringing pre-registered out of state cars into CT. Thanks in advance.
RB
Old 02-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RB:

Consider the items mentioned in the Thread as "not optional ", which is a good initial start in the registration process.

Obtain a copy of R-157 Composite Requirements from the CT DMV....a MUST read, all the requirements are mandatory including heat shields for the side exhaust. One source for the heat shields is Finish Line:

http://www.cobraaccessories.com/cata...t.php?cPath=50

If you wish, e-mail me your address and I will send you a copy of R-157

An unknown to me is the revised emissions testing as I was originally tested on the dyno with the previous contractor's centralized system

GOOD LUCK !!!!!

Don
Old 02-18-2005, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My FL deal fell apart. Going to look at Scotts '91 Contempoary 351 Saturday in Westchester. Will most probably buy it. Scotts Contemporary was assembled in '91 and is titled/registered/inspected as a '67 Ford convertible in Westchester, NY. Do I still get to jump through all the Weathersfield hoops or will this just be an out of state vintage car registration?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Commodore:
I recently brought a car into the state of CT from AZ. The car needed to go thru inspection at the local DMV in order to get registered. They checked the VIN, bill of sale, old state registration, and then did a function test of the lights, brakes, blinkers etc. The car failed on having too dark a tint on the side windows. Once that was fixed, then it went thru inspection again and passed. That is what happended to me.

If your NY car has a current up to date registration and plates that lists it as a 67 Ford Convertible then I suppose, since you do not have side windows, you will most likely go thru the same deal at the local DMV.

The key here is that the car pretty much needs to possess a current out of state registration and plates and that the car is listed on those as a 1967 vehicle.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 02-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Commodore:
A few years ago I purchased a NY Cobra with a 65 registration. The State of Connecticut (in their infinite wisdom) made it a 2000 since that is when I showed up (many times) in Weathersfield.

Try to handle this like any other used car from out of state. Go to a local office. Maybe you can avoid the flatbed to Weathersfield.

Good luck!

Bob
Old 02-18-2005, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bob,
The worst they can tell me is "what are you --nuts!!" The last reply I got emailed for the CT DMV said just bring in the paperwork, some money and you'll be on your way. What they didn't say was where I was going----home or Weathersfield? I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Commodore:

I wish you all the luck anyone would ever need registering a kit car. I had a legal certified title, Bill of Sale, matched to a VIN on the Cobra , previous registration paperwork, all notorized from the state of Wisconsin where the registration was still valid as a 1966 Ford. The VIN actually came from a 1966 Ford.

CT DMV would not accept, as their stated opinion, it was not a Ford but a kit car. However, the paperwork was acceptable to pay the Sales Tax, no questions asked......." all your paperwork is in order, that will be $$$$$ ". I was even able to obtain temp plates after paying the Sales Tax, as a 1966 Ford, which at the time I did not know was not allowed for a kit car.

The denial of registration as a 1966 Ford occured during the Safety inspection. Either way, I would still suggest you obtain a copy of the R-157 requirements and determine in advance if the CT DMV still requires, as they did in 2000, the heat shields for the side exhaust.

Also, in the kit car ( Composite ) registration process, the VIN is checked by the Anti-theft unit of the CT DMV in the nationwide data base to determine if the VIN was from a vehicle reported as stolen, fortunately mine was not.

That was back in 2000, let us know if anything has changed. Also, the results of the emissions test if the Cobra is registered as a 2005 Composite.

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!

Don