14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2003, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289FiA with Le Mans hardtop. AC CS(X)2131,289 (my father owned it from `67-`73)
Not Ranked     

OK, I just read that back & it doesn`t quite say what I mean. Sorry. Things like the AC mkIV are genuine AC`s (Cobra by any other name!) The 289FIA & AC427 are genuine AC`s, built to the original specifications(Are there any significant differences to cater for safety improvements, current legislation etc...???)
so no, they can`t be called "original 60`s Cobras", but they aren`t replicas either.

If it seems like I`m splitting hairs, I`m sorry. I was just trying to suggest why an AC is worth more than one of the current SIA vehicles.
Nik.

Thanks, Jack.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- Anna Sato-Williams.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- nikbj68

Last edited by nikbj68; 08-19-2003 at 08:23 AM..
Old 08-19-2003, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

I'm glad Timg427 was told the same thing, was feeling a little out in the cold. It was a rep that told it to me also (said I overheard it to avoid getting someone in hot water) at Louisvile.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

I will add that they had an aluminum car with an AC tag on display with their other cars. This is what prompted my question about what the car was doing with their display.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

If it is as true as it appears to be, SPF made a smart move. It also makes things verrry interesting. Does that now make my soon to arrive SPF a Real One?
Old 08-19-2003, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My understanding is that Price (Superformance) bought the AC factory in the UK in the middle of 2002. As he now appears to be building the SAI cars it looks as if the link between Shelby and AC has been reformed after a 36 years or so.

As to the subject of "Real" and or "Original". In my view the only Real cars are those produced by AC on the original bucks. The only Original cars are those that AC produced in the 60's - most of which went to Shelby to have their engines fitted and some of which had this done in the UK.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289FiA with Le Mans hardtop. AC CS(X)2131,289 (my father owned it from `67-`73)
Not Ranked     

There`s no mention of this on the Superformance or AC websites, which you would expect to find with it being such a big important coup. There`s nothing from searching the `net, I would have thought that all the press this would generate should show something.

I notice that Nigel Hulme was involved with testing the Coupe, I might try to get some answers from him!

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- Anna Sato-Williams.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- nikbj68
Old 08-19-2003, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by pderouss

...As to the subject of "Real" and or "Original". In my view the only Real cars are those produced by AC on the original bucks. The only Original cars are those that AC produced in the 60's - most of which went to Shelby to have their engines fitted and some of which had this done in the UK.
That`s pretty much how I should have said it the first time!

Old 08-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by pderouss

My understanding is that Price (Superformance) bought the AC factory in the UK in the middle of 2002. As he now appears to be building the SAI cars it looks as if the link between Shelby and AC has been reformed after a 36 years or so.
The SAI cars are not being done by Price or SPF or AC... they are being made by CAV in S. Africa
Old 08-19-2003, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My mistake. I had presumed that the cars would be built by Hitech as as far as I was aware they have the only autoclave oven in South Africa that is big enough to make a carbon fibre body.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bare Aluminum pre-Kirkham CSX4000 427 Stroker by Southern Automotive.
Not Ranked     
Default Original vs Real Cobra and Original vs Real AC Mark I, II, and III.

Nikbj68
To paraphrase, "All Carroll Shelby did was drop an engine into an existing car that no longer had an engine available for continued production." Simply put and correct, yet there was a little initiative involved in renaming the vehicle, racing it worldwide, and making it feared and respected due to its success. As others have said before, Mr Shelby's main strength is/was recognizing talented people and bringing them together to accomplish great things.

To help you understand the "Original vs Real vs Replica" debate, do a search on this site with those key words, then substitute the word AC for Cobra everywhere it appears. This topic has been debated ad nauseum.

The modern produced AC alloy vehicles look to be very good. I haven't had an opportunity to see one in person since 1999, however.

On this side of the pond, many people have a perspective of AC being a 1960s era sub-contractor for Carroll Shelby/Shelby American. It takes many parts to make a whole assembly. Another example of a Carroll Shelby 1960s era sub-contractor would be Ford with their engines and transmissions, etc...

The vehicles now produced by AC are NOT Cobras because they are not currently connected to Carroll Shelby in any way, or received his paternal blessing. ie. chilli, guitars, Eleanor '67 "Shelbys", etc... Many would view the Mark series as replica sub-contracted parts along with many other brand replica sub-contracted parts, combined to make an AC brand street rod that replicates an American Cobra.

By the way, on this site I have been told over and over and over...ad infinitim that my car is not an original, which I knew when I bought it, and I share Evan's pain convincing the masses that the "REAL" and genuine designation is accurate for a SAI/SA produced and soon CAV produced Shelby Cobra. Therefore, the same rules should apply on your side of the pond for the original COB numbered cars vs the modern produced "REAL" and genuine AC vehicles.

I dare say IMHO that most Yanks do not think that the equivalent model AC Mark series cars are worth more than modern true Shelby Cobras, regardless of actual dollar values charged for the respective examples. Possibly the opposite is true in jolly old Engand.

Fast Farmer
(Heading for the tornado shelter now)

OK Evan, How did I do?
Old 08-20-2003, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Being new to the forum, I started going from "All Cobra Talk, page 265" working back to present posts. I see what you mean.
I didn`t intend to re-open a can of worms(& I`m sure I won`t be the last! ) or call into question the quality of any particular Manufacturer, I think the main issue should be enjoyment of your AC/SAI CSX/SPF/FFR etc. etc.
I`m still interested to know more about the SPF/AC ownership status as mentioned earlier though.

As an aside, when my father was racing CS2131 in the late 60`s, He had a monogram on the side which read"Shelby American Cobra,driver Gerry Bagshaw" despite it being the AC Cars factory entry to Le Mans `63 which,to the best of our knowledge, never went to the US!!!