Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     
Default Serrano Concours?

I know the Bodega Bay bash is this Sunday, but I'd look like an idiot trying to run alongside all of you on the shoulder. (Just wait til spring...)

I'm headed to the Serrano councours up in El Dorado Hills instead. I'm taking my 9yo boy, who's hit a terrible case of the car crazies a good two years before I did. He's gone through my whole library and can spout Lamborghini specs all day, so I figure it's time to go let him see some of these beasts in the skin.

Anyone else going?
Old 10-04-2009, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, somebody went.

There was one Superformance, red/white with a Roush 427R. One silver with black stripes, pretty good looking build but I couldn't tell details. One silver one, pretty low-end, bolt-on wheels and squared-off rear flares... old Shell Valley, maybe? Those were on Rotten Row outside the concours. Across the street, just visiting, was a nice, well-weathered Cobra, black or midnight blue with white stripes and several Western States and NorCal stickers on the windshield.

Highlight of the show was the Enzo, I think. Couple of nice Panteras and two GT350s and a Tiger. No other Shelby/Ford stuff of note.

Might buy a slot in Rotten Row next year.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2769 Roush 427R Dart Block
Not Ranked     

I was the red and white #24. The show wasn't that great from what I saw and the Lakeside people and spectators seemed more friendly than the "insiders". I will do lake side again next year with the Euro Sunday group. tom
Old 10-04-2009, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ah, I should have said hi. The show was pretty light overall but I saw some interesting things - I don't think I've ever laid eyes on an Enzo, for example, and there was a Tipton MG-TA, another "never seen." I was disappointed that the King Cobra from last year didn't make a reappearance.

The lakeside crowd - "Rotten Row" in most concours - was almost as nice as the inside show. I might show up there next year.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Sort of weak this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Well, somebody went.

...One silver one, pretty low-end, bolt-on wheels and squared-off rear flares... old Shell Valley, maybe?
there was only one there like that, and it would be what you call a JCF 289 slabside Cobra, and a far cry from anything Shell Valley has ever made. That particular car is regularly confused (at many events) for an original with a bit more petina than the more commonly seen cookie-cutter Cobras

As for the show, from what I could tell by just stopping in and looking over the fence seeing a few friends on the lakeside, it seemed to be a bit leaner and less dense packed with cars and spectators as compared to prior showing. We all sort of guessed the economy might hold things back a bit.

I think it was stupid to charge spectators $45/person in a recovering economy. If they were smart, they would have made it $20 for spectators and ended up with 3x the attendance.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
there was only one there like that, and it would be what you call a JCF 289 slabside Cobra, and a far cry from anything Shell Valley has ever made. That particular car is regularly confused (at many events) for an original with a bit more petina than the more commonly seen cookie-cutter Cobras
Ah, I see. No, I wasn't familiar enough with the slabsides to recognize the flare style.

The bolt-ons should keep anyone from thinking it was original, though.

I would have likely passed on this show had my 9yo not been driving me crazy to take him to see real Lambos and Ferraris. $35 for the two of us was reasonable, but I can't argue that the show was a tad overpriced, net.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Keep researching...

Quote:
Ah, I see. No, I wasn't familiar enough with the slabsides to recognize the flare style.

The bolt-ons should keep anyone from thinking it was original, though.

FYI: Here are a few pics right here on Clubcobra of CSX and other originals of the the past with those exact same bolt-ons like you saw on the slabside at Serrano. A few pic/clips below. I've seen more than a few original 289 cars with, both street and race trim with bolt-on wheels. See thread, and some pics below. How about these... Can you tell which of these cars are CSX originals and which ones are not? Others may have been converted cars when the original Torque Thrust style were hard to find with pin drives and replace. Here are just a few examples. Torq-Thrust D Wheels On ERA 289 or 427 Cars ?

British Car Forum:

Last edited by decooney; 10-04-2009 at 08:35 PM..
Old 10-04-2009, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since every original Cobra was hand-built and many were finished or rebuilt by owners and racers using whatever parts were available and worked - or that secondhand racers thought would give them an edge - I'm not at all surprised.

Not sure what the argument is here except that I apparently failed to genuflect properly in passing this example. Peccavi.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
FYI: Here are a few pics right here on Clubcobra of CSX and other originals of the the past with those exact same bolt-ons like you saw on the slabside at Serrano. A few pic/clips below. I've seen more than a few original 289 cars with, both street and race trim with bolt-on wheels. See thread, and some pics below. How about these... Can you tell which of these cars are CSX originals and which ones are not? Others may have been converted cars when the original Torque Thrust style were hard to find with pin drives and replace. Here are just a few examples. Torq-Thrust D Wheels On ERA 289 or 427 Cars ?

British Car Forum:
Duane,

Do you know where the picture of the first car with the white hard top was taken? That car is now on the showroom floor at Canepa Design. They did a mechanical restoration, but pretty much left the car as is.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 327 R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, somebody went.

One silver with black stripes, pretty good looking build but I couldn't tell details.
that was me...all euro sunday crowd guys and gals...got half price tickets through e s group and lakeside parking...pretty nice...show was great...
Old 10-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, and did you have your knockoff or bolt-on wheels on though?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They was *plastic*. I could tell because a magnet wouldn't stick to 'em.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 10-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I took the picture when my Kirkham was up at Hall Fabrication & Racing in Benicia. Stewart Hall regularly has several originals at his place for various things including full restorations.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info Rodney.

The car (CSX-2493) is on the showroom at Canepa. I saw it again on Saturday.

http://www.canepa.com/inventory/coll...en3/index.html

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 10-07-2009, 10:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 327 R
Not Ranked     

hey...silver with black stripes and knockoffs
Old 10-08-2009, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You should call them "beat-ons" ...But then you would also have to call them "Beat-offs"
Old 10-08-2009, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab5150 View Post
You should call them "beat-ons" ...But then you would also have to call them "Beat-offs"
Women have "Bolt-ons"