Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     
Default DMV Appointments

Just a heads-up that the DMV online appointment system just came back on line with 2010 dates. Anyone looking for a first-thing appointment on 1/4, jump over to the DMV site and click away.

I still plan on being at the Folsom DMV an hour before opening, but I have an appointment just after opening to be sure.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 12-05-2009, 10:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2769 Roush 427R Dart Block
Not Ranked     

I've never heard of appointments for SB-100's. Are you sure your apt. isn't just for registration? I know you have an out of state car so I can see how they might have sent you that direction. I say that because Folsom had a special line for SB's only.

I would think it should be easier this year because of the economy but there were 6 of us there before 5AM when I went, and I was second in line and got there at 10PM the night before with a chair and blankets. "Poored" got a number in the 400's and he was not the last guy in line at Folsom when we went.

I met a guy with a Lister at Euro Sunday toy drive this morning (I know it's Sat.) He will be there early in Folsom. and another guy at the Concourse in Serrano who will also be there.

I'm not trying to scare you but I would hate to have you miss a years worth of driving ..........Good luck.

Last edited by wanab5150; 12-05-2009 at 10:41 PM..
Old 12-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I've heard of some people scheduling an appointment for SB100 as a back-up, but in most cases it's probably not necessary. Best bet is to choose a DMV office that has a proven track record dealing with SB100, handles the SB100 applicants as a group, and delivers the numbers.

Really no need to camp out, unless you want the full "let me tell you my SB100 story" experience.

Also, the numbers aren't in sequence, so a high number does not indicate the number of SB100 certs that remain.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Doug's right. Also, it's important to meet the with DMV Manager before Jan 4th, so he/she and you know exactly what to expect from each other...

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 6008 - building stage
Not Ranked     

I got a 0840 appointment just in case.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I appreciate all the advice - really! - but I will point out that my last DMV thread was filled with dire warnings about many things - mileage, VIN plates, etc. - that ended up being irrelevant to the simple process of walking into DMV and starting the registration process.

I now have the started reg (which needs to be corrected to match the CHP's better opinion about how to identify the vehicle), the brake and lamp certs, the CHP VIN cert, and should have only to walk into DMV on 1/4/10 and ask pretty-please and right-quick for an SPCNS.

I was going to ask the Folsom crowd, and those who went to the Folsom DMV recently for their SB-100 (and reported it knows what it's doing in this respect), if there's a particular name to ask for in case of ignorance, and for the *VERY SPECIFIC* steps a DMV clerk has to do to get that number ASAP - that is, who do they call, what's the number and what exactly do they ask for?

In my experience, the Carmichael office was very efficient and easy to deal with, while Folsom was more typical. The inspector they sent out to check cars was about 5'1" tall, about that wide, unable to reach the VIN plate of the pickup next to me or bend and read my under-dash plate, and filled out the inspection with such complete nonsense that the DMV manager said they would have to re-do it. (I said I was still headed to CHP and she looked relieved and said that form would be fine for them.) So I'm hoping the several good reports about the Folsom DMV hold up on Day 1 of next year.

I might have made an appointment for the Carmichael office, but they don't show any availability that day... possibly a glitch.

Last edited by Gunner; 12-06-2009 at 12:28 PM..
Old 12-06-2009, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab5150 View Post
I've never heard of appointments for SB-100's. Are you sure your apt. isn't just for registration?
We'll see how it goes. If they line us SB-100'ers up, I'll take that line. If not, I'll get in the first line and say what I'm there for. Third option, I'll take my appointment. After all, it IS to register a vehicle. It's their problem if it's not a standard pay-stamp-and-go transaction.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gunner,

You know how this works right? Each DMV office has to make a call to the main DMV office in Sacramento. They have two or three people at the main office in Sacramento distributing the SB100 numbers as the regional DMV offices call in.

The people at the regional offices call in, get a busy signal, redial, get a busy signal, redial again. If you go to an office that has a very successful track record (like Santa Clara), they have two people manning the phones and a manager overseeing the process. Once they get through to Sac, they don't hang up until the 10+ people in line have their SB100 numbers.

If you go to the wrong office or get a bad rep, they won't be as diligent.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 12-06-2009 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-06-2009, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
You know how this works right?
I do now, thanks.

Quote:
If you go to the wrong office or get a bad rep, they won't be as diligent.
Several locals swore by the Folsom DMV. I was unimpressed in my visit, but nothing critical was at stake so I didn't push any issues.

If anyone has specifics to add about Folsom, I'm all ears.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
I do now, thanks.

Several locals swore by the Folsom DMV. I was unimpressed in my visit, but nothing critical was at stake so I didn't push any issues.

If anyone has specifics to add about Folsom, I'm all ears.
Was your impression of the Folsom office based a DMV rep that you spoke to. Find out which office "makes it happen" every year. In my humble opinion, if they take you as a group, that means they have plan to deal with SB100 and they might possibly have the shix together.

The old saying "I stand on the shoulders of giants" applies here.

Last edited by Got the Bug; 12-06-2009 at 02:42 PM..
Old 12-06-2009, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I chose Folsom based on some of the local giants. Well, they claim to be giants; I forgot my measuring tape.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Regarding the continuous phone calls.....I waited for "Poored" to get his number after mine. The person distributing the numbers said they were not supposed to give out more than one number at a time but ended up giving 5 on the first phone call. After the 5th number they hung up.

While "Poored" and another guy waited for over 2.5 hours, three gals never left the phones for the entire time and dialed over and over and over till their fingers bled. After all that time when they got a response...It sounded like a New Years Eve party at midnight by all the employees and others that had gathered.

Things change and employees move away and get laid off so no matter where you go it may be different. Hope it's swift and easy for you where ever you go.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Good luck to all that needs SB100's. Hope it goes well for all of you.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2690 427R
Not Ranked     

wanab5150 story is very true! I pushed the panic button when DMV HQ hung-up right before it was my turn. They never gave up dialing! eventually got my sb100
Old 12-07-2009, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They knew it was you Ed....That's why they couldn't get through for 3 hours and they were hoping you went home! they've apparently seen you drive!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2690 427R
Not Ranked     

Tom, can't wait for your new puppies to crap in your Cobra.