Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 327 R
Not Ranked     
Default Got A Flat

Ok...who is THE guy everyone goes to to get a flat repaired on a knock off rim...Since I am not the first person ever to get a flat I am sure someone has the ability in town (Sac) to get this done...went to Americas Tire and they just looked at me with a more than the usual blank stare...and no, I dont want to take the rim (right rear) off myself...thanks in advance
Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Your Cobra life will be made a whole lot easier if you learn to do some of these things yourself.
When I had a drywall screw in my rear tire (that isn't made anymore), I took it off myself and took it to a big tire place for a proper patch. Even if someone claimed to be be experienced at a place like that I wouldn't want them to hammer, let alone wire.
Olthoff has a youtube video that shows the basics on knockoffs. You end up using your ears to as much as feel when you get it right.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Just take the wheel off and take it to Discount or Evans, or any other tire installer for a fix.

Use a lead hammer on the wings and it will eventually spin free. And remember, "right is wrong". In other words, the right side of the car (passenger side) is reverse threaded. Clockwise to remove spinner.

If you're going to own one of these cars, at minimum, you better learn how to take a wheel off.

Or be prepared to have a car hauler at your disposal.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebuilt, .060 over 428 FE Dual Quad
Not Ranked     

I'd sell the car instead...
Old 07-15-2010, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

The easiest way to remember it is that the knock offs unscrew in the direction of the front of the car. It's easy, just learn it. I recently went to a tire shop and pulled all of the wheels off myself and gave each on to them for balancing and then put them back on. No way some tire guy is swinging a hammer (even a lead one) around my wheels.

For your immediate issue, most tire patches can be installed while the tire is on the car. I just had one done on my wifes car. Took 5 min and cost $11 at a decent service station nearby.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 07-15-2010, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

You should carry a lead hammer and wire with you at all times. A $10 tire plug kit wouldnt be a bad idea either since you dont have a spare. That will fix a screw issue in minutes rather than hours. And on a Sunday or at night you would be S.O.L. !!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All the admonishments are fine...I prefer to have someone who has the experience do it...so I take it there is no tire shop in town that is experienced and trusted by everyone... Oh, and by the way, my corvette has been fixed on the road with a tire patch kit by myself...my ssr the same...ditto with the MIata race car...I usually fix my own flats right here in the garage so I know about all the patch kits, aerosol cans of this that and the other...the knock off info was helpful but the mild scolding, especially the "sell the car" crack is not very useful...
Old 07-15-2010, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also...where do you get lead hammer...no smart ass answers please...
Old 07-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Sorry, I know it's probably no help whatsoever, but Roger Kraus in the East Bay Area could take care of it easy peasy.

http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/
Old 07-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

You know what? Tom Lucas of FE Specialities in Sacramento builds FE engines and also does installations on quite a few Cobras. He might/should be able to do it.

http://www.fespecialties.com/
Old 07-15-2010, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is the link on the best place to buy the hammer. Same one as elsewhere, just direct from the manufacturer.

American Hammer 6lb Lead Hammer

www.partskeeper.com
Old 07-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

culdad,

I used a plug in my Good Year Billboards for around 6,000 miles with no ill side effects.

You can borrow my hammer if you wish.

Maurice
Old 07-15-2010, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can we meet someplace this weekend
Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

CULDAD, I won't bug you, if you don't want to take the wheel off that's your business. Any kid in a service station can put a plug in your Cobra if it's a nail or screw through the tread. Front wheels are easier because you can turn them and get a better angle (most guys don't remove the wheel to put a plug in the tire). Back wheels are just a bit more of a hassle but you still do not need to remove the wheel. Just use a cigarette lighter air pump and put enough air in the tire to limp it up to any gas station that has at least one bay. It's a five minute job.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

You have a pm, culdad
Old 07-15-2010, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2769 Roush 427R Dart Block
Not Ranked     
Talking

I don't use a lead hammer...I use a 1x2 inch piece of solid oak about 2 feet long (home depot). The oak leaves no marks on the aluminum knock off and the hammer you do use is away from the wheel and body, so no chance of a mistake. It's moron proof...almost! I've removed one wheel or another at least 20 times without an issue.

The other option is to flip the car on it's top, hook a chain to one of the "A" arms , and drag it to the gas station.

tom

Last edited by wanab5150; 07-15-2010 at 08:47 PM..
Old 07-17-2010, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
CULDAD, I
Any kid in a service station can put a plug in your Cobra if it's a nail or screw through the tread. any gas station that has at least one bay. It's a five minute job.

been looking for this magical station with a kid who can do this...any suggestions...cant even find a station with the capability to do service...
Old 07-18-2010, 05:10 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by culdad View Post
been looking for this magical station with a kid who can do this...any suggestions...cant even find a station with the capability to do service...
You're just east of Sacramento, right? I Googled "mobile auto repair" and this fella looks reasonably honest and he will come out to your house and fix your tire.
http://www.willsmobile.com/
Old 07-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Why not just jack up the rear - put a stand under the chassis for security - and use a plug kit? I carry a low profile racing jack, 2 piece aluminum stand, and a plug kit - all in a gym bag in my trunk. Wouldn't want to be in the boon docks somewhere and have to depend on anyone to get it done. Take 20 minutes. Also have a manual air pump - but need to add a small electric pump - they really work well off of a cigarette lighter outlet.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ANY gas station that does repair work should be able to patch a tire. Super easy, super fast, won't cost more than $25.

www.partskeeper.com