14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1115 --VMS 427 c.i.
Not Ranked     
Default CHP and BAR recommendations

I'm an Auburn resident getting ready to make a Cobra purchase.

Does anyone have recommendations for CHP and BAR locations in the Sacramento area in which to maneuver as painlessly as possible through the SB100 process?

thanks in advance --

Jeff
Old 02-11-2012, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

From what I hear all the friendlies are in the Bay Area. It might be worth the trip.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

I had mine done in 2004. I called the New Castle CHP office and they sent an officer to my house (Roseville) for inspection and VIN assignment. Took 10 minutes then we talked cars for an hour. Used the main BAR station down by the Arena - in-n-out.... painless. Ran all the paper work through the Roseville DMV..... very smooth. Just don't try and play any games and you should be fine.

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/

Last edited by pgermond; 02-11-2012 at 08:53 PM..
Old 02-12-2012, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you --I live close to the Newcastle CHP, so might as well start there!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5R 331ci
Not Ranked     

When I went through the CHP inspection last year the officer said that I didn't have a choice of locations and that it was based on my zip code. YMMV That would be great if they send out an officer so you don't have to jump through any hoops and drive to an undesirable location.

As far as DMV locations, as long as your paperwork is in order I doubt you'll have any problems.

Good luck!
Morgan
Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

I used the CHP in Newcastle. With the Backdraft there is no problem with the VIN and they just copy the one on the car.

Auburn DMV manager was knowledgable. Be sure you have all your receipts. Been a while so don't know if she is still there.

Sorry, don't have my car any more but happy to help out.
Al
Old 04-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Hi Al,

Maurice
Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
I'm an Auburn resident getting ready to make a Cobra purchase.

Does anyone have recommendations for CHP and BAR locations in the Sacramento area in which to maneuver as painlessly as possible through the SB100 process?

thanks in advance --

Jeff

Jeff,

Did you make your purchase and go for the CHP & BAR inspections?

If you are still looking for recommendations, I just went through the process in March and can recommend the CHP office in Dublin and the BAR referee at Skyline college in San Bruno.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

Hi Maurice. Glad to see you are still out there. Hope you are well. Miss my car. Miss the gang. Would try to come to breakfast if you folks ever get back to the Auburn area. My best to all.
AL
Old 04-10-2012, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have made the purchase of a Backdraft from Vintage Motorsports -- and am awaiting delivery sometime in May.

I already have my SB100 number and will begin the CHP and BAR processes as soon as the car arrives.

I'm a little freaked out about the BAR ref and hoping I don't get a stickler regarding the "turnkey issue". Of course I'll have separate invoices for the roller and engine/transmission, but from what I'm hearing, I just need to make certain I don't mention the word "turnkey" and insist that the car was a "build" using separate vendors.

Jeff
Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have made the purchase of a Backdraft from Vintage Motorsports -- and am awaiting delivery sometime in May.

I already have my SB100 number and will begin the CHP and BAR processes as soon as the car arrives.

I'm a little freaked out about the BAR ref and hoping I don't get a stickler regarding the "turnkey issue". Of course I'll have separate invoices for the roller and engine/transmission, but from what I'm hearing, I just need to make certain I don't mention the word "turnkey" and insist that the car was a "build" using separate vendors.

Jeff
Jeff, I think you've got that right. I'm in california-bureaucratic-hell right now. Sacramento called me twice yesterday asking for more documents and paperwork but they refuse to engage in a dialogue. they're basically going to "decide" the registration designation for my SPCN vehicle and it's either going to be SB-100 compliant or require full smog testing. and this is all because I got a BAR referee with a bug up his a-s-s

the ironic part of my experience is that the DMV already reviewed my paperwork back in december, issued me an SB-100 sequence # and took my tax money.

btw anyone know if there is a formal appeal process in the event I get the short end of the stick on this?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotic, Arron Johnson 351W/408.
Not Ranked     

I am reading my DMV sequence number sheet. It specifies that my sequence number is non-transferable. If I want to sell my car how can I if I can't transfer the certificate of sequence with the car? If I do sell, should I leave the car as an 1965 SPCN? I have had no problem renewing each year. I have gone through the HP procedure. What gives??
Old 04-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

It specifies that my sequence number is non-transferable

Meaning it can not be transferred to a different car that it is not assigned to. You can sell the car with the SPCN # no problem.

I know it is difficult, but don't worry this thing into ground. It has been done hundreds of times before you..... just try and enjoy the experience

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 04-12-2012, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotic, Arron Johnson 351W/408.
Not Ranked     

Aha! I kept on reading that passage and couldn't get it. You cleared the clouds for me and I thank you!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Jeff
If you have the receipt for the motor and trans, just tell them that you installed it. How are they going to know?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
If you have the receipt for the motor and trans, just tell them that you installed it. How are they going to know?

Well, let's see...they see that a person from Auburn named Jeff with a Backdraft is applying for an SB-100. They print out a copy of this thread and then you have some serious problems on your hand.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
Well, let's see...they see that a person from Auburn named Jeff with a Backdraft is applying for an SB-100. They print out a copy of this thread and then you have some serious problems on your hand.

Ok I agree, that could happen. Doubt it though. Maybe it could help someone else that is reading this thread though.