LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 Slabside
Not Ranked     
Default New Member, New car.

Hi All

I just purchased a ERA 289 Slabside and I'm looking for some advise. I am located near Auburn CA.

Most important is how to register the car in California. I hope to be able to register it as a 1965 Ford ERA 2 Dr as shown on the current registration? If you have been though this process and can provide help I would love to hear from you.

Also, where do people insure there cars? I have quotes from Hagerty and Grundy. Are they both OK? Other suggestions for a CA car?

Any help and assistance to a newbe would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2018, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

You don't need any advice....you make excellent choices ....what a great car....

I have a couple replicas and I just add them to my Safeco Policy with agreed values.....I do just have comprehensive for the months they are in storage.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

I have been with Grundy since I got my CR in 2000. No issues. Great choice
for your entry into the fun!
Old 05-07-2018, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

Congratulations! A truly outstanding car.

I have been with Haggerty for over 15 years. Wonderful people to deal with.

Enjoy!

ERA #3010 BRG 289 Slabside
Old 05-07-2018, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

You won't want to register it as a 1965. California cracked down on replica cars that were falsely registered as 1965. Rather, you want to register it under the SB100 process. You go through the hassle once and you won't be required to do any kind of annual smog inspection. Here's a quick overview. http://home.thegrid.net/~ffr4776/SB100_Registration.pdf You can find a ton more info just by searching this forum for SB100.
Ron61 and 1795 like this.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

So glad I don't live in California. My registration took seven minutes, no waiting, no garbage forms and done.

6S1806, 1966 Shelby GT350 B/P Race car.
6S246, Shelby GT350 "carryover"
6S1745 Shelby GT350
Old 05-07-2018, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX 4133 View Post
So glad I don't live in California. My registration took seven minutes, no waiting, no garbage forms and done.
My registration was quick. Getting approval from the safety Nazis was the challenge.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 Slabside
Not Ranked     

Cj428cj; thanks, read up on sb100, the statement of facts seems to be focused on owner builder, need to work out how to fill it out for a purchased car...
Old 05-07-2018, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra. Roush 427
Not Ranked     

I assume your Slabside is out of State? I just finished registering an out of State Backdraft roadster through the SB100. It was registered as a 1965 cobra and smog exempt. It’s a bit of a process but worth the wait. Go to the DMV web site and download the requirements for SB100. You can register the vehicle as the replicated year however DMV and the State BAR will be focused on documentation related to the build; specifically receipts for the major components.

Good luck.
Ron61 and ACHiPo like this.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That is good advise on the SB-100 process. They used to have a SB-1678 I think it was that was just for vehicles that were bought out of state. It used the SB-100 numbers and most of that process but since they no longer run out of numbers on the 2nd day of the year they may not use the SB-1578 any more. They are mainly interested in how much money they can get from you and to check and be sure none of the components are from stolen vehicles.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-08-2018, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
I assume your Slabside is out of State? I just finished registering an out of State Backdraft roadster through the SB100. It was registered as a 1965 cobra and smog exempt. It’s a bit of a process but worth the wait. Go to the DMV web site and download the requirements for SB100. You can register the vehicle as the replicated year however DMV and the State BAR will be focused on documentation related to the build; specifically receipts for the major components.

Good luck.
How does the state handle used kit cars if you don't have documentation on engine, etc? It seems likely that older kit cars may have lost their documentation for the individual pieces, but should still be eligible for SB100 or SB 1678? As I recall there's something about waiving the requirement for records for "used" cars, but I think CA defines "used" as more than 10k miles, which is pretty high miles for Cobras.

Last edited by ACHiPo; 05-08-2018 at 07:17 AM..
Old 05-08-2018, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #347
Not Ranked     

Congrat's! Great car. The SB100 is not difficult, just a bit tedious.

The first question to address is whether you have any build receipts. You will need the MSO from ERA, as well as receipts from the engine and transmission. The more docs you have, the more legit the build will appear and the less likely that the CHP will be concerned with "stolen parts".
Old 05-15-2018, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII
Not Ranked     

I use Northwest classic ins for all my collector cars. reasonable, good with claims. customer service is good and I have agreed values on the cars. Where near Auburn are you? I'm in Loomis. Don't know about your registration tho, I bought my car from a guy in Alabama and it is registered as a 1965 ford. Probably should go through the SB100 registration. I have had it for over 10 years now and no hassles yet! Fingers crossed. you can PM me if you want.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: