21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2020, 12:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     
Default Where is everyone?

I check this site regularly and there is never any new posts. Has this group imploded? What's everyone up to?

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 03-07-2020, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

there are several new posts daily...
Old 03-07-2020, 04:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Neutral     

Not on Nor Cal.

Old 03-08-2020, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

This has been going on for ever..it seems busier in Summer
Old 03-08-2020, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default First Post From a New Guy

My name is Dennis and this is my first post. A friend and I have been talking of a Cobra for some time now. We have debated buying verses building. We have to admit we have never driven or even sat in a Cobra before...so we are open to any and all advice. Please be kind. Everybody has to start somewhere.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford lover View Post
My name is Dennis and this is my first post. A friend and I have been talking of a Cobra for some time now. We have debated buying verses building. We have to admit we have never driven or even sat in a Cobra before...so we are open to any and all advice. Please be kind. Everybody has to start somewhere.
Kindness is not what you need. Brutal honesty is what you need. So I'll try to be brutally honest in a kind way.

Some people want to build a Cobra because they think the some-assembly-required like a Heathkit will save them money. It rarely does.

Buy it. There are tons of completed cars that have been sorted out. Find one you like and drive it. Then if the COBRA PASSION persists, and you still want to be a fabricator/manufacturer, feel free to build one. If you're into fabrication that's OK, but you don't want to put all that time and money into a project only to find the Cobra is not a match. They are powerful nasty smelling machines that want to kill you every time you get in it. It would be a shame to invest two years into a project only to find that combination doesn't agree with you.

Based on what I see here, I'd guess maybe 50% of the "kits" are actually completed.

Good luck.

PS. You might want to move this to a primary root topic instead of burying it in a "what is going on" that noone will read... If you do I'll repost my reply as well.
eschaider and Trubble like this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 03-08-2020 at 04:14 PM..
Old 03-08-2020, 04:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is a lot of satisfaction in building your own car.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
There is a lot of satisfaction in building your own car.
For some, yes. But the Cobra is a nasty beast when done. If you want to be a fabricator there are cheaper and more pleasant vehicles to learn that skill with. 32 Ford for example.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

The 32 ford by factory five? Is that more friendly than the cobra? I guess there is what passes for a cage inside one.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Kindness is not what you need. Brutal honesty is what you need. So I'll try to be brutally honest in a kind way.

Some people want to build a Cobra because they think the some-assembly-required like a Heathkit will save them money. It rarely does.

Buy it. There are tons of completed cars that have been sorted out. Find one you like and drive it. Then if the COBRA PASSION persists, and you still want to be a fabricator/manufacturer, feel free to build one. If you're into fabrication that's OK, but you don't want to put all that time and money into a project only to find the Cobra is not a match. They are powerful nasty smelling machines that want to kill you every time you get in it. It would be a shame to invest two years into a project only to find that combination doesn't agree with you.

Based on what I see here, I'd guess maybe 50% of the "kits" are actually completed.

Good luck.

PS. You might want to move this to a primary root topic instead of burying it in a "what is going on" that noone will read... If you do I'll repost my reply as well.
+1^ and then some ...

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post

Good luck.

I second this. Unless you a) are sure you want a cobra and b) know what you are doing and enjoy a complex fab and assembly project, you are better off buying your first one. This will get you on the road with a sorted out car sooner and if you decide it’s not for you, you have not wasted a bunch of time with the build.

These cars are not like a modern car. They are more like a 4 wheeled Harley. You should go to a club gathering or car show and talk to them and get someone to give you a ride before you buy....

Enjoy - Mike
twobjshelbys likes this.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx Mike View Post

These cars are not like a modern car. They are more like a 4 wheeled Harley. You should go to a club gathering or car show and talk to them and get someone to give you a ride before you buy....

Enjoy - Mike
This!!! The Cobra is what is referred to as "a man's car". It has no power anything. Turning the steering wheel while moving is a task, let alone trying to jockey it to and fro while still on pavement. Braking can sometimes be a two foot proposition. Headlights barely reach a couple of car lengths out. Tail lights barely visible (unless as some you upgrade to LEDs). And just like a Harley, you won't deliberately take it out in a rainstorm.

Visit with some folks at car shows is an excellent suggestion, and a good way to get familiar with the various makes and models out there.

You don't state your budget, alot hinges on how much money you have to spend. You should check out Cobra Country | The World's #1 Shopping Mall for Cobra Buyers & Sellers to get a feeling for pricing of the various makes/models...

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2020, 06:44 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford lover View Post
We have to admit we have never driven or even sat in a Cobra before...so we are open to any and all advice.
Don't buy a Cobra and don't try and build a Cobra. Choose something else. You're making a mistake even thinking about it.
IMLost likes this.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't swap my 2/3 car for a fully built one at this stage of the process. I am having a lot of fun in the build process....but I have to say (and it may just be me, I don't know) but if you think a particular job should take a day to complete, it will probably take a week to do it to your satisfaction.

If it's your first one, go and buy one already built. Then if you really like it and you're sure you have the skills to build one, then go ahead and build one.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 03-09-2020, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Lot's of good advice here. There are two references above that it's like a Harley, which is true in a lot of ways. If you're not the type to deal with the elements - it's hot or cold outside, the car is loud and your clothes smell like exhaust afterwards (or so my wife tells me), they need tinkering and more maintenance than a modern car, on and on, then this might not be for you. I sometimes refer to mine as my "hobby car". It's not something to drive, park and forget until the next time. You don't pull into Pepboys and ask for an oil change and a front end alignment. The car and all that goes with it needs to become part of your lifestyle. And, of course, they're not particularly safe vehicles and have none of the modern safety features. If all of this actually sounds good to you, they are a blast to drive, that's for sure. Only you can decide if this is right for you and, as mentioned above, there are a lot of partially built cars collecting dust as well as completed cars that are purchased and then sold not long after because the owner liked the idea of having a cobra more than the car itself.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Ford Coyote 5.0
Not Ranked     

Phil, We have been to C&C almost every week in February. Having a great winter. Hope to get out again soon. Need to plan a locate drive.
Pam
Old 03-09-2020, 07:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

I'm here. I check in almost every day, except weekends. Don't have much to post, I seem to be working all of the time. I have been to C&C several times in the last couple of months, and have seen a few of the locals there.

I'm all for getting together, and the more the merrier.

Years ago, we used to rotate between locales for breakfast, rather than just going to the same Mel's every time. Would anyone be interested in adding some variety again?

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 03-09-2020, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I swing by several times most days but often only look and no post.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igofastr View Post
I'm here. I check in almost every day, except weekends. Don't have much to post, I seem to be working all of the time. I have been to C&C several times in the last couple of months, and have seen a few of the locals there.

I'm all for getting together, and the more the merrier.

Years ago, we used to rotate between locales for breakfast, rather than just going to the same Mel's every time. Would anyone be interested in adding some variety again?
What Ron said.
Now that the weather is getting better I would be all for getting together for a drive and or breakfast. Does not matter where, now that I am retired I really do not care what day.

Patrick
Old 03-10-2020, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison #1320, 514 BBF, Richmond, 3.73 , IRS
Send a message via AIM to Trubble Send a message via MSN to Trubble Send a message via Yahoo to Trubble
Not Ranked     

I bought my first in '17, a well-sorted Everett-Morrison. Wish I did have the time and all the wrenching skills to build, but I had to be brutally honest going in. If my thoughts of a coupe ever turn in to a raging passion, would probably go the same route.