Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2006, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2540
Not Ranked     
Default Nubee question

Hey everybody, this is my first time here and most likely not my last. I just placed my order on an SPF two weeks ago . I'm very new to this and I'm trying to educate myself as fast as possible. So far I'm leaning toward the 351w stroked to 427, with the mild cam from Smeding Performance in Sacramento with the Tremec TCET4617 trans. I went with Smeding because the guys at SPF recommended them. Does anyone have any other suggestions on engine builders in the greater Sacramento area? I've got about 8 weeks to make a final decision on the engine and don't want to rule anything out. Thanks in advance
Old 09-27-2006, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2046; P.E. Aluminum 427 Windsor.
Not Ranked     

Mr. Monster,
Welcome aboard. I can assure you this won't be your last post. This site is addictive.

What color did you order? Who is your dealer? Will you do your own install?

For a local engine builder with a loyal following and rave reviews you should check out Tom Lucas over at FE Specialties. He's a heck of a nice guy too. His ad is on this site.
Although many of us successfully run non-locally built engines, I thnk it is smart to go local.
Good luck and welcome to the group.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Jim,
I got sunset red with titanium stripe. The dealer is John in Reno and he recommended GT Auto, "Gary" to do the install. I've been to GT Auto but I had my impatient kids with me and couldn't interview him like I wanted, but he seemed cool. I'm going to stay with the locals. It just seems like the better way to go.

I can't believe that a glove box goes for $250
Old 10-11-2006, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2457, Sunset Red/Titanium Stripes,460FR, SCJA, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Congrats..Sunset Red with Titanium Stripes is a great color combo
Old 10-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

If you go with a reputable engine builder, I'm sure you'll be happy. If he's nearby, so much the better.

There are many threads regarding BB vs. SB vs. FE, etc., etc., with avid proponents of each. Figure out what you want to do with the car and what's important to you and have your motor built accordingly FOR YOU; NOT FOR THE GUYS AT THE GAS STATION OR THE SPECTATORS AT THE CAR SHOW (unless that's what you want). One caveat: There are a lot of cars for sale with monster motors and only a relatively few miles on them. A little less motor might be a lot more enjoyable in the long run if you plan to drive the car much.

Another item to consider is transmission/rear gearing and there are many posts covering this topic as well.

When I ordered my car, I knew it was what I wanted but I skimped a bit on the motor because I wasn't sure how much I ws actually going to drive it and didn't want to pay for extra stuff if it wasn't going to matter. I ended up having the second motor built just as I wanted. Get the motor the way you want, if you can afford to, and only do it once.

Enjoy your new car!

Lowell
Old 10-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

I will second Lowell about the motor - spend all you can. When I first drove mine I thought it was scary fast (280rwhp/380rwtq). Within a year it was no longer enough and I changed motors (420rwhp/520rwtq) and I am still looking for more! Changing external things is easy - pick the best motor/tranny/gears up front.

Bruce
Old 10-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Default 408

351W 408 STROKER about 430 rwhp that should be good for a year or two. Not many cars on the road that can pass you!
Dwight
Old 10-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

On the flip side, I actually DID have 'to much horse power'. The engine was SO radical it was a 'nervous' car on the street. A 'take two aspirin then fire it up' kind of ride. Didn't 'come on the cam' below 3000 rpm and then just exploded with power. Interesting for awhile, but got old when your just trying to get the local 'cruise in' without haveing to stop for gas, AGAIN!

So I rebuilt it using 'milder' specifications. Smaller cam, smaller carbs, mpg went from 6 to 10! Street ability dramatically improved, pulls strong from 2000 rpm. And get this, I was running 11.9 flat at the 1/4 with the 'hot' motor, it now runs 11.9 and change! WHAT? I gave up virtually no 1/4 mile time AND got significant improvement on the street?? Darn, it DOES make a difference how you spec your motor! When your asking for BIG horse power, be careful what you ask for, it may literally be 'to much'.

Well, OK, you do need about 500 plus (down from 600 plus).
Old 10-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default You can take this reference right to the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Monster
The dealer is John in Reno and he recommended GT Auto, "Gary" to do the install. I've been to GT Auto but I had my impatient kids with me and couldn't interview him like I wanted, but he seemed cool. I'm going to stay with the locals. It just seems like the better way to go.
Mr. Monster,
I have a professional and personal reference to relay. Gary does SPF Cobras, Nobles, Coupes for them in Reno, with 25 years previous experience with real and replica Cobras in and out of there all the time; and soon to be SPF GT40 installs going on. This along with a zillion Shelby mustangs in/out of there from super high-end stuff to lower grade junk. He works on anything Ford and does it well; with NO advertising in 30 years. If it helps you to know to put you at rest, Gary does installs in SPF Cobras for John/Bob in his sleep, literally. As you probaby picked up on with Gary, and his low-key demeanor, its because he's kinda been there and done that so many times successfully, its all in a days work for him so he doesn't get overly excited. Can't say enough about gary as a professional and as a person, and he is a true car-guy in every way. FYI.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the Solid advice. I've pretty much made up my mind on using Gary at GT for the install, but picking the engine seems to be pretty tough. I need something streetable but a little wild & crazy on the HP (not too crazy).

It seems that most folks I've talked to that are actually driving their car often don't have the 427 but maybe the stroker 408 or stroker 347. I talked to one guy and he said that with the stroker 427 that the connecting rods are so long that the piston can bang into valves or something like that. It's not like I can actually go out and test drive these and decide then. I'm not really into the bragging rights of it; altho, having a cobra in itself is bragging rights. I doubt I'll be taking this to the track, but that mindset may change once I learn the car.

I'm sure that if I don't get the 427 that some of my buddies are going to give me the why-didn't-you-get-the-427 speech. But then again, my buddies aren't in a position to even fathom making this kind of purchase. Maybe I need some new buddies
Old 10-13-2006, 06:25 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Uh-oh...

Lowell
Old 10-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

M,
Maybe you can check in to the 392 stroker. Lots of people have been happy with it for a long time now, with no issues or premature side-load wear, etc. Seems like a sweet motor. Tom at FE Specialties in Sac or Ben at Smedding in R.C. could build you this, and having your motor builder locally does have its advantages. A number of people around here have experienced why they should have done this first hand instead of mail-order motors a number of times; then bringing their motors to the local guys here to get it fixed anyhow. Good Luck.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Smile Come with the Cobra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Monster
Maybe I need some new buddies
New buddies seem to come with the Cobra!

jdog
P.S. Take what Duane said to heart, having your engine built locally, can be a major plus! Also, having the engine builder, do the installation can preclude a lot of questions about "proper installation" later.
Good Luck, new buddy!