28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #968 / Genesis 427 Aluminum S/O
Not Ranked     
Default Question for you NorCal boys (and girls).....

Thinking about pulling the car from North Texas to drive Highway 1 next year for a vacation. What suggestions would you folks have? Travel from N to S or S to N? Time of year? Places to stay? Length of time? Travel all the way between SF & LA, or a shorter distance.... Yada yada yada.

I'm talking about a few couples, 50 - 65 year olds. Not necessarily a "Cobra" vacation. But a driving vacation with a Cobra..........

If we do this, would anyone want to join, partial or all the way?
SPF #968 w/ Genesis Aluminum 427 S/O
CVAR vintage racer: 1965 Mustang Fastback w/ HP 302
Old 05-25-2009, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 327 R
Not Ranked     

as mark twain said..."the coldest winter i ever spent was a summer day in san francisco"...it is cold on the coast sometimes...sometimes not...it is a crapshoot...i would recommend going from north coast (s f) to south...that way you go from a probable cold climate to a warm one (l a)...i have done the ride many times in various kinds of open top cars...there are elephant seals roaming the coast almost year round now and they tend to come ashore randomly in the north...the best part of the ride is from monterey to moro bay...two lane twisties that are the most beautiful scenery in the world...san luis obispo area is a fun place to stay...take at least three driving days to see everything...monterey is great also but that is only a two hour ride from s f...monterey to san luis is about two more hours depending on driving style...san luis to santa barbara is another two + hours and into malibu and santa monica is another two + hours...but there is so much to see it is worth driving and stopping a lot...summer is the only way to go because you will run into more fun cars going both ways and the weather is way better...hitting the coast in the winter is brutal...cold and windy...i am in your demographics as well (62) and enjoy comfortable weather... i personally would skip the s f to half moon bay section...bay areans tend to clog highway 1 on weekdays with commuters...stay in half moon bay at the half moon bay inn on the first night...my grandfather built it in 1933 and it has been newly renovated..drive early to santa cruz and eat breakfast at the yacht harbor at aldos and ask for walter...he owns it and tell him two teachers jack and sally told you to eat there...going south on 1 from santa cruz to monterey is kind of uneventful but certainly beautiful...stop in castroville ( the artichoke capital of the world)...french fried artichoke hearts are amazing...if you stay in monterey the 7 gables inn is incredible view of lovers point...going past monterey there is the highlands inn in carmel...beautiful view of the ocean...if you stay in monterey have dinner at rocky point about 15 miles south on 1 at sunset...you wont regret it...watch for elephant seals along the part between monterey and san luis obispo...lunch in morro bay if you like fresh fish...shell beach past san luis is a great place to stay...good happy hour...next section is ok but nothing compared to the previous section of 1...until you get to santa barbara...all kinds of restaurants and shops on the main street of s b...follow 1 into malibu and on the left going south there is a little burger joint just north of malibu...name escapes me but the food and view are great...groopie hangout as well...if you have time you have to get to the rock store restaurant in the cobras...all kinds of cars show up and the road from the coast into the mountains is great and the view is spectacular...leno hangs out there on weekends and great place to run into wannabeespast malibu you are doing the l a thing and traffic on weekends becomes bad at times...not much to see either...just lots of water and traffic...i would recommend putting the cars back on the trailer and driving past long beach and getting back in going along 1 through newport, laguna beach, carlsbad, san clemente, and on into san diego if you have the time...the weather is outstanding and the sights and sounds of socal are incredible...shoppping is great to and the eating is wonderful...stop at charlies for lunch...any closer to the beach and you would be on it...kite surfers are unbelieveble...

keep us posted on your plans...i might join you for part of it...sorry for the long winded description but i guess you can tell it is my favorite part of the world

Last edited by culdad; 05-25-2009 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: forgot stuff
Old 05-25-2009, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Working on This
Not Ranked     
Default Further Thoughts

Pickup the 1 (maybe 101?) right outside of Santa Monica, through Malibu, up through Santa Barbara (2-hours) then to the Central Coast (San Luis Obispo) (3-4 hours depending on traffic). From there up to Carmel (dramamine drive). I would recommend you spend one evening in Santa Barbara and one somewhere on the Central Coast. It is without question some of the most beautiful coastline in the country.

Weather in AM will likely be cold, with marine layer burning off towards late morning to around 5:00PM. Depending on location, fog starts coming in again between 5:00 and 6:00.

Anything north of Carmel is dodgy depending on traffic.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #968 / Genesis 427 Aluminum S/O
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. Nice ideas. I have a year, so it looks like I have some planning.
SPF #968 w/ Genesis Aluminum 427 S/O
CVAR vintage racer: 1965 Mustang Fastback w/ HP 302
Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

timing is everything... Have done this drive a few times, albeit NOT in the Cobra. Were I to do it again (in the Backdraft), I'd do it in early September... weather's nice & warm, still plenty of daylight, kids are back in school, & less chance of marine layer fog-outs.

Like others, I think the best section to drive is Morro Bay to Monterey. Santa Monica through Malibu & Santa Barbara is also nice, but after that, there's a whole lotta "meh" between Santa Barbara & Morro Bay.

Direction-wise... depends on your passenger. If anyone's susceptible to vertigo, you'd probably be better served going south-to-north... there are a lot of shear dropoffs that might give your stomach a turn. Either direction, PCH is NOT a place where you want to break down. Some sections have NO place to pull off, so a thorough pre-flight is essential every day. And don't be surprised if you get stuck behind a slow-moving motorhome. You will NOT make good time on PCH. Just relax & enjoy the drive while your passenger enjoys the view.
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 05-26-2009, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Time it right and the Monterey Historic Races (mid-late August) are not to be missed.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 05-26-2009 at 08:32 AM..
Old 05-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Ch1 2009

Or come out in September and join us for Cobras On Highway1 (CH1) with 40-50 other Cobra, Daytona, GT40 couples..., stay over at a nice resort with 2.3 miles of private beach..., drive North one day and South the next on Route 1, pop into Monterey and Carmel. Doesn't get much better. If you know him, (SoTxButler) Russ R. is coming from south Texas this year with his Butler Cobra looking to caravan with others from TX if interested.

More info on the Western States Cobra Group (WSCG) website if interested.

Go to: WesternStatesCobraGroup

Last edited by decooney; 05-26-2009 at 09:53 PM..
Old 07-05-2009, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Why only drive half of it. You should also look into the norther section (at least up to Fort Brag). Then take 101 north till you get to 299 and go east till you cross 89N, South on 89 all the way down to to and over Monitor Pass, 395 to 108 or Tioga thru Yosemite. Then back across the valley to the cost and your done.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto One View Post
Why only drive half of it. You should also look into the norther section (at least up to Fort Brag). Then take 101 north till you get to 299 and go east till you cross 89N, South on 89 all the way down to to and over Monitor Pass, 395 to 108 or Tioga thru Yosemite. Then back across the valley to the cost and your done.

MotoOne,
Funny you mention that route... I just now returned this morning from Elk/Medicino/Fort Bragg. It was drizzling fog most of the time to a point of almost light rain, with super thick fog layer most of the time the past two days up and down 1.

I suppose if folks did take 1 up higher than say Half Moon Bay or Bodega, it would have to be the right time of year for it.

It was in the 90s back in Sacramento, and 54 degrees and heavy fog/drizzle when I left Elk cutting over 128 at 11a.m.

It did not take long to get back to the sun though.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

Duane,

The closer too fall (Sept, Oct, Nov) the better the weather - that's why we haven't been able to attend CH-1... we have been spending time on the N.Coast for years enjoying the good fall weather (summer normally is as you experienced - wet and cold).

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 07-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

Phil, don't forget abilone season is one of the best reasons.........

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 07-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

It's one of the best driving experiences you will have. Spectacular trip all the way. Spend a night in Cambria and get a room right on the ocean (near Hearst Castle).

Here's a nice place to stop.

Last edited by Paul F; 07-06-2009 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudmaster View Post
Phil, don't forget abilone season is one of the best reasons.........
I stand corrected!

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/