LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a... yet!
Not Ranked     
Default New to the Cobra World

Hey all,

I am doing some research on the different Cobra Kits and options. I've decided to build a Cobra, just have to figure out which kit... so far i've just been doing research online for LoneStar Classics, Factory Five, and Shell Valley.

I plan on building it completely myself (with my wife's help), she wants to learn and build with me. I've never worked on a kit car before, but I've done lots of work modifying Jeeps for offroad. So i consider myself average mechanical knowledge.

I was running in Folsom a few weeks ago, and saw about 8-9 Cobras somewhere and got all excited. I didn't ask any owners any questions (because i don't really "know" anything about cobras, and didn't want to ask wrong questions).

I was hoping to see if the cobra club allows "non cobra owners" (yet) to come see and look at the different cobras in the group. I'd like to see some differences in the kits and ask real people too (not just information online).

I'm sure cobra club members all have their opinions, and probably all differ.. but that's what i'd like to know so I can form my own opinion on what kit to purchase. Pros/Cons of the kits, people experience with building them, etc.

My goal is to do enough research that I can purchase a kit to start building by next year.

Any links, meetings, or get togethers that I could get info at would be greatly appreciated. We're (wife and I) are super excited about building our 1st cobra, and just want to make sure we do enough research to start on the right foot.

I hope this was okay to post in here, as I'm not a Cobra Owner yet... just working on becoming one.

Our "Cobra Plan":
1. Sunday Car (not daily driver)
2. Fun Car for going out, a head turner
3. Big Engine & Sound (looking at crate 427 Options)
4. Built by me and wife
5. Painted by pro-paint shop

Kits looking at so Far:
1. LoneStar Classics
2. Shell Valley
3. Factory Five

I'm thinking a 4-link rear would be better handling.. does anyone have any experience with a Cobra that notices a difference?

Thanks for any advice, input, opinions, etc.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kirkham stroker 48 webers
Not Ranked     
Default The hardest part is getting a title.

In my opinion, ERA is the best glass car. Kirkham is the best aluminum. Plan on spending more than you think. You will spend alot of time running around trying to find little parts to fit. Its all worth it. The hardest part will be getting a title.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default It is much cheaper to buy a used Cobra...

You will likely lose money building one...unless, of course, that is what you want to do for your own reasons....good luck...they are a lot of fun...
Old 07-05-2009, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     

I developed my site during my build process of a Factory Five Racing MkIII. I will apolologize in advance of any spelling and grammatical errors in advance but do check out the Journal entries over my 3 year build:

http://home.comcast.net/~289fia_cobra/journals.htm

Please check out www.ffcobra.com as well. This forum site was started by FFR builders and one of the best resources for building the FFR.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Welcome doberman ...

About a year and a half ago, I was at a similar point where you are now ... wanting to build a Cobra, but not knowing where to start or what questions to even ask. Well ... you came to the right place!

Start going to the local Club Cobra breakfasts and talking with the owners, look at their cars and ask a lot of questions ... what they like about their car, what they don't like, what they would do differently. Pretty soon, you will narrow it down and figure out what makes sense for you.

I can guarantee you two things ... you will meet a lot of great people and I sincerely doubt you will find (2) Cobras exactly the same.

Here is a link to the BACC (Bay Area Cobra Club)

http://www.bayareacobraclub.com/contactbacc.html

The East Bay guys usually meet at the Rock House in Livermore and the West Bay guys and Baji's in Mountain View or Alice's Restaurant at Skyline and Hwy 84. Check the Web page for details.

There is also the Nor Cal Cobra Club group as well, that is probably closer to you ... I would imagine one of the guys will add some info to this thread as to where and when they meet.

Best of luck ... hope to see you around.

Regards,

- Tim
Old 07-05-2009, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys! I am located in Sacramento (Fair Oaks).

I know it will cost more if I build my own.. but it's not the money, it's the principle and the sweat and grease to building my own first Cobra from nothing.

I'm looking for Cobra owners in the Sacramento area that don't mind me dropping buy and asking questions about their cobras.. (if they built theirs, what they liked, what they didn't like.. etc)..

We really want to build our own, and not buy one already built. I know it'll take a while and it'll be hard work.. but.. I'm a glutten for punishment.. so it's ok.

Also.. if we build our own. we'll have the intimate details of it.. so I can trouble shoot, and learn, and be know what's going on. As excited as I am, i know I want to take my time to research which kit I want to purchase.

Anyone know of some people that built the following:
1. LoneStar Classic
2. Shell Valley
3. Factory Five

If you guys know of any people in the Sacramento Area please tell them about this post / me so that if they have time they can let me take a look. I'd appreciate it.

Also.. anyone ever order or have experience with EngineFactory.com ?
Old 07-05-2009, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge Replicas, 427 World block SBF, TWM Injection
Not Ranked     

Come to the 2nd annual Wine Country Cobra Classic on August 2nd at Sonoma Square, Sonoma and see +60 different cobras, daytonas and GT40's.

Wine Country Cobra Classic II
Shell Valley Daytona #27
Old 07-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

The group of Cobras you saw in Folsom was most likely the Nor Cal group that gets together for breakfast on the third Saturday of every month. Time and location are posted here (Nor Cal Cobras forum). Anyone is welcome, and I would encourage you to come and talk to the folks in the group - wives/significant others are also welcome. Lots of different manufacturers to compare and a lot of knowledgeable guys. Your question (which kit) as been asked, answered, and debated a million times on this site.... best thing is to do a search, then attend a breakfast.

Good luck!

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 07-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

There's nothing like building your own Cobra. It's rewarding beyond description, and when you finally drive it, you know it's a part of you. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1. My wife and I will be at the Sonoma Wine event!
2. I'll definetly be awaiting the next Sacramento Breakfast get together with the cobras.

I really apprecaite the responses and advice... we may end up starting our Cobra build this winter, so we can drive it in Spring. haha..
Old 07-05-2009, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 4596
Not Ranked     

Doberman,

The NorCal group are a great bunch. Just keep looking back at this site and usually someone will post where and what time for our 3rd Saturday gathering.

Your also welcome anytime to come by my house to look at mine. Just shoot me a pm.

Danny
Old 07-05-2009, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2769 Roush 427R Dart Block
Not Ranked     

I certainly would like to build one but I've built at least one of everything. Cars, bikes and planes from either kits or frame up. I won't recommend a specific kit but just add this. Don't base the finished price on anything you are told by dealers. If you build a Factory 5 with a Roush 427 and a spectacular paint job like the guy in Yuba City (forgot his name), then after parts, registration fees, taxes and the other expenses I would guess you would be into it a little over 60K.

Do the paint work yourself, and get a local engine builder and you can drop the build price to 45K with fees.

Come to a NorCal breakfast and check them all. I know there are Superformance, Factory 5, ERA, Shell Valley, Backdraft, and I think a Hurricane as well as others I'm not familiar with. You will walk away dizzy!
Old 07-05-2009, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-Ford Performance Solutions 533 BB
Not Ranked     
Default Do it yourself...

Doberman, it's good to hear you're planning to build for the experience! My wife and I "finished" our two year cobra build (West Coast) early this year and I think it will be a lifetime improvement project. We love driving it, and it's kind of grown on us through the build process....I'm sure I'd not sell it even for what I put into it...it's like a family member in a wierd way; we sweated and swore and worried and stressed and knuckle-bled our way to the completion. Now it's ours, we diagnose and fix problems ourselves and we're SO pleased we didn't just buy one of someone else's dreams.

The Norcal group were instrumentally helpful in aiding me in many of the choices I made before buying the kit - see them at breakfast, I sure hope to again soon!

Regards,

Dirk
Old 07-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

doberman,

- Budget
- Timeline
- Expected use
- Desired looks (shape, profile, etc)
- How much you wanna do yourself

...are parameters (once determined) that typically help you to narrow down the choices a bit more.

There is a lot to be said about building a car where all the engineering and bugs have already been sorted out for you. And, there are others who just enjoy taking something and re-engineering and further improving aspects of a particular manufacturer's car to make it their own. It seems to me for anyone to help you answer the questions with you is to first be sure to try and determiine say your top five goals first in order of preference. Its fun to watch people go through this "Cobra Lifecycle". and then to see how the goals change from start to finish, reflecting back to where you started and where you ended up.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     

Duane is right on that last sentence; I started with the notion of a donor build. with EFI in mind and cap of $30K over 5 years.

3 years, $50K, went to carb and 90% non-donor parts later, I can say building a car is the most fun you'll have, even with problems. I learned to to be a plumber and electrician thorugh this exercise, and even learned to build a motor. I never intended to rush things so it took any pressure off a timeline.

Good luck on your decision. Keep us in the loop if when you have questions.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 302EFI, Supercharged
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberman View Post
Hey all,

I'm thinking a 4-link rear would be better handling.. does anyone have any experience with a Cobra that notices a difference?
Doberman,

If you have not done so yet, get a copy of the Factory Five product brochure: https://factoryfiveparts.com/orderform/info.html

The 4 link is the standard rear suspension with the F5R kit, then the first upgrade is the 3 link (standard on the F5R spec race version). Next, and the ultimate upgrade is the IRS (independent rear suspension) In some cases (like on a race course) the IRS is not necessarily better handeling than the 3 link, which does a very nice job, but it (the IRS) is overall a much better ride and overall probably a better handeling option on a wider variety of road surfaces than the other options. I believe most people prefer the IRS for overall ride quality especially with the light weight of these cars and their rather stiff sport suspension.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

Tom, do you mean Kens Custom Auto Body in Yuba City for paint?

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 07-06-2009, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray,

I have ordered brochures from LoneStar, FactoryFive, Shell Valley.

I am planning a NO donor car kit build. I want to buy a complete kit with everything, (except wheels/tires, engine, tranny, paint).

I am not planning on doing the paint job myself, my wife wants a pro paintjob.

Build Specs:
Engine: 351w Stroker 400HP w/Boss EFI
Transmission: TK 500
Rear: Ford 9" (deciding upon suspension), but I do want the upgraded adjustable larger coil overs front & rear
Sidepipes

Paint: Titanium Silver w/Black double Stripe [all with a pearlescent blue metal flake, so it sorta shimmers in the sun].

Seats: Racing Style, not original style

Roll Bar... : Currently Deciding single or double... wife decision.

I'm thinking it'll be between 50-60k.

We can't wait for the Wine Festival event with the cobras to check a bunch of them out!

-Doberman (Geoff) [jeff]
Old 07-06-2009, 11:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 302EFI, Supercharged
Not Ranked     

I like your paint ideas, My F5R is silver with dark blue stripes.

The 9" is a great, very strong rear end but I think it is overkill for the really light weight of the Cobra/replicas. You might be asking for trouble with that much unsprung weight with a 2,000 lb car. Plus with a complete kit you would have to modify the kit parts to work with the larger axle and probably need to have the axle shortened to keep the wheels under the body. I am not an engineer but have used both rear ends and I think the 8.8 is the best choice for the Cobra replica. If I get to build a Cobra I really want to put in an IRS. Even less unsprung weight... better more responsive ride!

The F5R and I believe most other kits are set up for the Ford 8.8" rear end like used in the Mustang in both the straight axle and IRS pumpkin (if I am not mistaken)

Building a car is a great, sometimes frustrating experience, do your homework and get what you think will fit your needs the best, then have fun!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How hard have you guys found it to register a cobra kit in California?