28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2769 Roush 427R Dart Block
Not Ranked     
Talking Holly Crap....electric fuel pump that is!

I've been jetting my Roush 427 all week. I found a good combination but have been jetting up and down and changing squirters searching for a slight stumble.

I went from a 71 Primary to a 72 primary and went out to test. It started popping , crapping out, and I barely made it home. I swapped back to the 71 and it ran fine. I thought "how could one jet size cause that much of an issue?"

I had to run to Auburn to meet someone later in the afternoon and it ran perfect. No hesitations or surges. It had a slight hesitation before the jet change and initial carb idle screw adjustment, but now perfect...... Anyway, I was leaving Auburn when all of a sudden it had the same symptom as earlier when I had the larger jet in it....popping, stumbling , etc.. It stalled out and I tried a restart but negative!!! I noticed that the fuel pump was not humming when I turned on the key.

I AAA'd it home and removed the pump which after dropping it on the ground, it works again, but I don't trust it. I have noticed about 5 occasions in the last 6000 miles, that the ammeter will go crazy and the pump would make an awful noise. It only lasted a second or two and return to normal for a few months. Now it makes sense.

It has a Holly "RED: on it now.....does anyone know of any better (reliable) not stronger pump that would work better than the "red"?
And, during installation do you have to prime them to not burn them up?
Old 08-19-2009, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Tom,
While it's possible your fuel pump failed because of a manufacturing defect, I'd look for other reasons too so you don't have problems with your next fuel pump. Here are some considerations. Is your pump higher than the gas level in your tank? If so, it may have trouble keeping a prime and could wear out prematurely. Do you have a fuel filter upstream from the pump (i.e., between the pump and the tank)? If so, you may get the same problem. Do you have the option of plumbing a fuel pressure regulator and return line downstream from the pump? This would reduce fuel temperatures in the pump, extending pump life and reducing the chance of vapor lock.

I've been running a Holley Red for several years without a pump problem. Other than the fact that it's noisy, I have no complaints about it.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 08-19-2009, 04:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
What Tommy said above. I ran a Holly Blue for about 10 years with no problems but I had to use a regulator as it put out 14 PSI. I have no experience with the red, but know of some of the street rodders here who run them and they seem to hold up great. So maybe you just got a faulty one.

Also one other thing, does the red pump have a screen inside the intake connector?If so you might check that to see if it is clogged.The blue pump had one and I checked it once in a while and it was never clogged but my tank was new and had on crud in it.And I had a filter between the pump and carb just before the regulator and it hardly ever got anything in it.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 08-19-2009, 05:13 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I had to rebuild my Holly red in London at Jegs ( see Kit Car Mag ).

The blades do not do well if left to sit with NO oil in the cavity. It sounds like your motor might be a challenge.

The entire pump is not expensive. Before you get a new one, make sure it ( the pump ) is really bad and it is not your wiring or the other things Tommy mentions in his post.

Just so you know, you can post mortum the pump on a bench in a short amount of time and determine what might have giving you a challenge with the pump.

If you take the pump apart, get the rebuild kit. Stone the blades making sure they slide easily in the slots on the rotor. Make sure the cavity is clean and smooth, not nicked or scrapped. Clean the screen and replace the rubber(s). Spin the pump on the bench with light weight oil in the cavity.

Just my opinion.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:45 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by trularin View Post
replace the rubber(s).

Never re-use, always an important step.

Before you ask; yes I do know that my humor is juvenile at best.

Steve
Old 08-19-2009, 06:01 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Steve, I thought it was good.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

or turn it over to get a fresh side
Old 08-19-2009, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

I would not expect such a remark on a site dedicated to individuals striving to better themselves and gain knowledge. OK, that’s BS. I liked it too! Good one.

Anyway, my fuel filter and pump are below the tank with the filter before the pump. It’s clean and flows fine. The pump looks free of gunk also. I am afraid to re-use (the pump) so I will try another unless I read something different before I get another this morning.
Pressure on the red is 7 lbs or so. Wiring is good. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by wanab5150; 08-19-2009 at 08:44 AM..
Old 08-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

I went thru THREE Holley Blue pumps before I switched brands . Holley's advice when they failed was to 'wait 10 mins or so and try it again ' or 'whack the pump and it will start up' . oddly both recommendations worked - however I cant wait it out on the interstate when it fails at 70 mph surrounded by semi's- or reach under the car while driving with my Calif Duster with its handle whicih was just long enough to reach the pump to whack it , once parked .

I suppose like all things electrical, they can go bad at any time - just like lightbulbs rated at 1000 hr lifespan , some last 4000 hrs and others burn out in 100 . go figure . Others have had no Holley problems and had problems with my replacement choice - go figure . B
Old 08-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Or replace it with a good old fashion mechanical pump.........They last thousands and thousands of miles and years and years and are a lot less expensive than an electrical pump...........

David
Old 08-19-2009, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

Carter makes fine pumps, both electrical & mechanical.

Z. Ray
Old 08-19-2009, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

Go Aeromotive

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 08-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrayr View Post
Carter makes fine pumps, both electrical & mechanical.

Z. Ray

Have had a Carter mechanical pump on my 65 Fastback sine the mid 90's, bolted it on and have never touched it since......

Have the exact same pump on my 472hp race motor, 4 years now and no problems......about 30% of the guys I race with run electric pumps and they all run 2 pumps tied in with a T- block, why I have no idea, seems one mechaical pump is easier and a lot less expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like mechaical pumps....

David
Old 08-19-2009, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

I would never have run an electric pump, however, with the Cobra frame and the location of the mechanical pump it would have to be the size of a thimble to fit.

I replaced the Holly "Red" with another of the same brand. This one makes a buzz while the original has always sounded like a Whirlpool washing machine. Maybe that was a clue!

I'll either carry a hammer from now on, or bring a coffee can with holes in the bottom and have my wife can stand on the engine and drip gas in it until we get home. Wait, she just said something nasty about the coffee can thing......The hammer will have to do!
Old 08-20-2009, 04:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I understand some cars have to run an eletric pump, has anyone tried an in-tank pump such as in a late model Mustang?????

Those factory pumps just about last forever and are super quite.....

David