Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Wa. Smog Check

Ok I know this has been talked about before but I can't find the post.
I will need to go through the smog BS this year, who is the guy we talk to about the waiver with out paying the $150 BS tune up. I have until July but want to get a head start. I just may say the hell with it and reg. it in Montana.
Fred
SPF 158
Old 05-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kerry Swayne 425-649-7101.

Jim
Old 05-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

You need to go flunk the test first.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have no ploblem flunking the test
Old 05-03-2010, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Did you Study >?
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 05-03-2010, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 408 Windsor stroker, TKO600
Not Ranked     

After you flunk, then what do you do?

I have a CMC kit from 1998 and so far have not figured any way of getting it licensed as a pre-smog year. I do hope to have it finished this year, if I get my rear in gear.

By the way, does Washington require windshield wipers when they do the initial inspection? I wasn't planning on adding them at first, probably later, but the state may have other plans.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeper View Post
By the way, does Washington require windshield wipers when they do the initial inspection? I wasn't planning on adding them at first, probably later, but the state may have other plans.
You live in the Seattle area (I'm from there originally) and aren't going to install windshield wipers? Unless you live in eastern Washington, you will get caught in the rain if you drive and enjoy your car. Go with the wipers. I have owned my car less than a year and have been easily caught in the rain half a dozen times. No big deal, but wipers are pretty useful....

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeper View Post
After you flunk, then what do you do?

I have a CMC kit from 1998 and so far have not figured any way of getting it licensed as a pre-smog year. I do hope to have it finished this year, if I get my rear in gear.

Unfortunately, the laws were changed last year. Prior, you didn't need any inspection to license your car. Now, it has to have a State Patrol inspection and from what I understand, they check for everything including wipers.
Here's some interesting reading - http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243882
Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 408 Windsor stroker, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Thanx for the info everybody. I guess when you are dealing with state bureaucrats, what can you expect (more taxes of course)?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GT40 NZ / FFR Roadster
Not Ranked     

What is called a safety inspection is nothing more than checking for stolen parts. Been through the process several times. Equipment is not under scrutiny. Just bring MSO, receipts and any documentation you have. The only thing that has changed is the emission exemption on new registrations. The Bellevue SP inspection folks are car guys. I had half of the LEOs out looking at the GT40 when they did the inspection.

Fred, I don't know why the old Y-block wouldn't pass a sniff. Just don't punch it! Kerry will take car of you.
FFR Roadster #4867 408/TKO/3-Link
Old 05-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealM View Post
What is called a safety inspection is nothing more than checking for stolen parts.
Have you been through it several times since the first of the year when the new regulations took effect? The old way was for checking for stolen cars and that was only required when you brought an out of state car into Wa. Kit cars were not required to have any inspection by the State Patrol prior to the rule change.

Last edited by jwd; 05-05-2010 at 10:39 AM..
Old 05-05-2010, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

I just bought a previously registered SPF 2608 in Florida, shipped it to Bellingham and registered it March 2010. It is registered as a 2007 RCOBR. It was categorized as a kit. Since Bellingham is not a air regulated area, there was no inspection what so ever. All she said was "It cost that much????"....
Old 05-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

I don't think they do state inspections anymore. Didn't have to do one for the Kirkham and I got plates for my GT in December 2008 (car definately not ready for the road) just in the event Obama decided to require 50MPG for all 2009 cars. Only slightly kidding.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, MKIII, Carbed 351w 400hp
Not Ranked     

Wipers are required, but most don't have them. You can purchase a hand actuated wiper to get around that requirement, but I still have never heard it being an issue. I've been caught in the rain only a few times and the rain-X on my windshield was more than adequate.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Mills View Post
I don't think they do state inspections anymore. Didn't have to do one for the Kirkham and I got plates for my GT in December 2008 (car definately not ready for the road) just in the event Obama decided to require 50MPG for all 2009 cars. Only slightly kidding.
If you read the first post in the link that I posted, you'll see that has changed with the new laws. Several people have recently tried to get titled and were told you now need an inspection.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
If you read the first post in the link that I posted, you'll see that has changed with the new laws. Several people have recently tried to get titled and were told you now need an inspection.
I knew I couldn't trust that the government wouldn't try and make things more difficult post 2008. I'm so smart.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley w/ IRS, Moderately built 302/T5
Not Ranked     

I bought a small block car back in March and figured I'd have to go the waiver route, but the inspection station in Lynnwood allowed me to meet 1969 standards of 900ppm idle and cruise. (Sharon there drives a Roush 'Stang) Guess what - with a bit of careful tweaking and several trips through it passed - and not by a little - down to 220ppm. Something about going out on Hwy 99 and romping on it and bringing it right in. Good luck - the laws around this are just silly.

-Steve
Old 05-13-2010, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlenshake View Post
I bought a small block car back in March and figured I'd have to go the waiver route, but the inspection station in Lynnwood allowed me to meet 1969 standards of 900ppm idle and cruise. (Sharon there drives a Roush 'Stang) Guess what - with a bit of careful tweaking and several trips through it passed - and not by a little - down to 220ppm. Something about going out on Hwy 99 and romping on it and bringing it right in. Good luck - the laws around this are just silly.

-Steve
How modified is your engine? What tuning did you do? Assume you don't have cats, but 220ppm is great. You even pass current standards. I'm wondering if my GT40 would pass with cats.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley w/ IRS, Moderately built 302/T5
Not Ranked     

It's pretty moderate - cammed for mid range torque vs. top end, so not much overlap which is what kills HC emissions. Holley 1850 on Wieland dual plane. Basic Ford HEI. I kitted the carb to make sure it was tight, retarded the timing by simply disconnecting the vacuum advance, raised the idle to around 1000 and carefully set the mixture to be right where when turning in the idle starts to lower. Can't go too lean or CO is too high. Engine was also plenty hot. Got a buddy that worked in a carb shop back in the day. He helped me through this. Then he tells me about the REAL 427 car that came into his shop to tune around 1972. Imagine that! Cats on your GT40? It might depend on the cam. It's crazy to have to go to that length for a specialty car. Tim Eyman where are you?
Old 05-14-2010, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlenshake View Post
It's pretty moderate - cammed for mid range torque vs. top end, so not much overlap which is what kills HC emissions. Holley 1850 on Wieland dual plane. Basic Ford HEI. I kitted the carb to make sure it was tight, retarded the timing by simply disconnecting the vacuum advance, raised the idle to around 1000 and carefully set the mixture to be right where when turning in the idle starts to lower. Can't go too lean or CO is too high. Engine was also plenty hot. Got a buddy that worked in a carb shop back in the day. He helped me through this. Then he tells me about the REAL 427 car that came into his shop to tune around 1972. Imagine that! Cats on your GT40? It might depend on the cam. It's crazy to have to go to that length for a specialty car. Tim Eyman where are you?
Thanks for the reply. It's crazy we have to go thru this at all considering OR and ID have SEMA laws with 1960's registrations. Don't know how WA lost that in the late 1990's? Street rods still get full exemption from testing. Anyway cats are easily installed and removed on a GT40. About $200 cost. Interesting you could pass without cats.