Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-09-2011, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO2089, Ford Crate 393 475 Hp
Not Ranked     
Default Superformance Shoulder Harness Anchor Points

I'm going to install shoulder harnesses. If installed by Superformance where would they be anchored?
Old 06-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The fittings I've seen rely on a cross-member between the vertical supports to the roll bar. The standard Superformance roll bar may not have this piece in the correct location. It needs to be just below the junction with the oval hoop.

I seem to recall the owners I spoke with saying they ordered a roll bar specifically to accomodate a shoulder harness. Keep poking; someone will have photos.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thx. I read somewhere on this blog that there were predrilled holes in the back bulkhead leading to a crossmember, but not in a big hurry to peel back the carpet if they dont exist. Floor attachments, which I've seen also, are a no no.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I have had 4 SPFs and had to drill all of them but the cross member is there.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Neutral     
Thumbs up

Look up in the wheel well to the rear bulkhead and you'll see a cross member. There should be pre-drilled holes through this cross member and you will also be able to feel/see slits in the bulkhead for the shoulder harness fittings to pass through. You'll need to use a razor blade or sharp knife to slit the carpeting on the passenger side of the bulkhead to allow the fittings to pass through. Depending on the harness you use you may have to increase the size of these openings, but it very easy to do with a dremel tool or small grinder.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of SPF#2632
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodard View Post
Look up in the wheel well to the rear bulkhead and you'll see a cross member. There should be pre-drilled holes through this cross member and you will also be able to feel/see slits in the bulkhead for the shoulder harness fittings to pass through. You'll need to use a razor blade or sharp knife to slit the carpeting on the passenger side of the bulkhead to allow the fittings to pass through. Depending on the harness you use you may have to increase the size of these openings, but it very easy to do with a dremel tool or small grinder.

Jim is correct...no drilling required. You can feel the slits with your fingers and then run a razor through them.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2920 w/ Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

The holes are there. You get a better look if you pull the left rear wheel.

Finish Line sells a bezel kit to give it a more finished look. I have the shoulder belts and bezel kit from Finish Line sitting on my work bench, awaiting installation.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tips. We'll dig in to the project this weekend
Bob
Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Here's the advice I was given by an old Cobra racer who still vintage races the originals. This has been discussed here before.

The proper place to attach the shoulder harnesses is the roll bar. There is a kit that bolts to the roll bar with eye bolts to attach the harnesses. Picture here:

http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...b-1332x578.jpg

There should not be a shoulder harness attached to the passenger side. First, the cross member is not strong enough once penetrated to support the G-forces associated with a crash. The tubing should be the diameter and strength of the driver's side roll bar. The cross member in the trunk is not. In practice it will provide SOME g-force absorption from a head front or rear collision but probably break before all is said and done.

The second and biggest thing about the passenger side shoulder harnesses is a rollver passenger safety issue. Should the car roll the shoulder harnesses hold the passenger upright, and thus, they become the passenger side roll bar. Without the roll bar the passenger will "fold" to the center of the vehicle. It's still gonna hurt like hell, and the chances of survival are low, but if you have shoulder harnesses the chance of survival is approximately zero.

My passenger side harnesses were attached to the seat bolts. They were on the seats when I got the car before I saw another car with them attached to support across the back and had the above conversation. This is equally bad and was done before I had the conversation above. The harnesses are still attached to the seat bolts but noone is allowed to use them (except for the 44oz diet coke I get when I go for a ride and hold them with the harness ) The next time I need to pull a seat they will be removed. I took my rear mount kit back.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

I will disagree with that in regard to the passenger side not using a shoulder harness.

The odds of a roll over accident are considerably lower than any other form of accident. If in a head on, or rear end collision, the passenger with only a lap belt on will hit their head on the hard fiberglass cowl area.

No one rides in my car without being fully secured in the 5 point harness system.

Last edited by Silverback51; 06-10-2011 at 09:33 AM..
Old 06-10-2011, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2644 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I agree with J above.

I used the cross member mount for my harness. These were set up by Superformace, and they would assume the liability for the cross member mounting. The cross member is as strong if not stronger than the roll bar. Being part of the rear frame it also attaches the uprights for the shock mounts. You can view this on Superformances website.

I was told the the shoulder harness mounting should be no higher or lower than 2"-3" from your shoulder height. To avoid injury in a front/rear or roll over. If the mounting is lower, bottom seat or floor you can get spinal compression. If the mounting is to high you would not be secure.

Removing the rear tires makes mounting must easier...

Old 06-10-2011, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have installed maybe 10 sets of these. and we use a specific part number from DJ Safety to match the width of the harness the latch style and the best attachment peice at the top of the "Y"

You can cotanct me through PM and i can help you out.

Everyone else is right about the placement. you can jack the car up or put it on a lift, once you remove the rear wheel you will see slit in the glasswork and also the place where they clearly bolt in. I am also not a huge fan of the bezel peice. i like the look of it just tucking and hiding away behind the seat.

Thanks

-Justin
Old 06-11-2011, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2743, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

Bob,

I just sent you a personal email with a Superformance Service Tip specifically addressing this subject. Yes, there are attachment points on the frame behind the bulkhead and slits through which you can attach a belt harness. In my case I had the installer fabricate a steel piece with holes in each end to accomodate the 7/16" bolt recommended. One end is bolted to the frame and the other end extends through the bulkhead just far enough to attach the harness. This allows for the harnesses to be attached and removed if necessary without jacking the car, removing a tire etc.

I chose the 3" Corbeau harness with the camlock release.

Corbeau: 3-Inch 5-Point Harness Belts

If anyone else would like a copy of the Service Tip send a private message with your email address. It's a 500+ kbyte file that I can't seem to include or upload.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

...many thanks. I also forwarded to a friend. Will reply via email
Old 06-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

FYI-older cars like my SPF 156 did not have the pre-drilled holes....and I don't know when they changed to the pre-drilled holes and ability to slit the bulkhead carpeting. A friend with a series 9xx SPF had the pre-drilled holes as a serial reference point. Removal of rear wheels allows for easy inspection. Bill
Old 06-23-2011, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427SC/Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Lots of good detail here. Where would you install the anchor point for the submarine belt?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Simpson has some good info on attachment points for 5 and 6 point harnesses, submarine belts included.
Bob
Old 06-23-2011, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Safety – Restraints | Simpson Racing