Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-450 HP 460
Not Ranked     
Default Good all around tires?

Well it's come time to re-shoe the ole girl. What's a good all around tire for the street and occasional trips to the track?

Ray
Old 07-13-2011, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Avons...if you have the $$$ to spare.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Well Ray, I will second the Avons. If the weather ever clears up, and I can find the damn roll pin in the bottom of my transmission (It's a longer story), I will let you take mine for a drive and see what you think.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Early Contemporary 427SC w/ '66 427s.o. (car built in '79) by Snow White Rods (Fresno, CA); XKE Series II front/rear suspension (AMP lower A-arms/half shafts), CWI rebuilt IRS, 4-spd Toploader, PS Engineering knock-off rims.
Send a message via AIM to gjcomb Send a message via Skype™ to gjcomb
Not Ranked     

Ray - here's some info on a local company (Roger Kraus) in the Bay Area regarding tires for Cobras...

Roger Kraus Racing Ent., Inc.- Castro Valley, CA.

Go to Race Tiire Pricing and click Cobra - you'll see info for the Goodyear Billboards, Dunlops, and Avons...preference for me are the Avons, but they are pricey...George
Old 07-14-2011, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR354/FMS392
Not Ranked     

Ray,

Can you post your tire sizes. Can't remember what they are. Was it 265/60/15 front and 305/60/15 rear TA's that you have right now?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

Micky Thompson....for 15"
Old 07-16-2011, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Avons are the best and unfortunately, most expensive choice. With the possible exception of the Micky Thompsons I don't think there are really any other "good" choices in a 15 for street/track use. I haven't personally tried the Micky Thompson street tires that some folks here recommend, but I do have a pair of the Mickey Thompson Street Drag Radials mounted on a second set of rims I put on the car for the occasional trip to the drag strip. They do not hook one bit better than the Avons, but they cost a lot less, so they are my choice for high abuse 1/4 mile sprints.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I second the vote for Mickey Thompson's. I installed their Sportsman S/T's last summer on my SPF and really like the way the feel at speed.

Bill
Old 07-16-2011, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the input guys.
One minor detail I didn't mention is I currently have BF Goodrich Euro T/A's, 256-50-15 front, and 305-50-15 on the rear. Didn't know till I started looking that anything big in 15" is getting tough to find. Only Hankook and Laramie make a 265 and NOBODY makes a 305 any longer. I have sent a e mail to Compomotive to see if I can get 17" rims for my center sections, but I have a feeling they will really be expensive. Thanks George for the Roger Kraus link. I like Goodyear tires and will check them out. The only other option appeares to be Mickey's S/R Radials or Hoosier Pro Street Radials. The Mickeys are a directional tire and 130 MPH rated and arn't too expensive.
You would let me drive your car John?? Wow! I would like to hear more about the roll pin. :>)
Thanks again everyone,

Ray
Old 07-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The roll pin story.

Wife and I went for a ride on Saturday, July 9th and as I went to down shift from 4th to 3rd, I found the shifter was just flopping in the wind and I was stuck in a gear.

Took the next exit and pulled into a parking lot and called the tow truck. We were up in Everett.

So this morning was spent taking out the interior getting the tranmission tunnel cover off. What a pain in the butt that was. So I pulled the mid cover off and found the 1/2 selector flopping around. The roll pin had fallen out.

I'm hoping that tomorrow I will get the time to drain the fluid and see if I can snake out the pin with a magnet. If not, then it will be a new TKO 600 and all the rest of the goodies to go with it.

Oh well, it's only money.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray, you need to go back and check Rogers site again.

He has some extra wide tires for Cobra's also. Some of the Avons have a tread width of 16+ inches.

Price? All is says is to call.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I see what you mean John. Roger Kraus does have a lot to offer. I'm gonna give them a call. (Thanks George)
Get the roll pin out?

Ray
Old 07-19-2011, 03:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blackbb66 View Post
I see what you mean John. Roger Kraus does have a lot to offer. I'm gonna give them a call. (Thanks George)
Get the roll pin out?

Ray
Have not had a much spare time to work on it. Last Sunday I got 30 minutes to play with it, so I drained the fluid and fished around with the magnet and did not find it.

As soon as I get some time I'm going to flush it out a couple times with mineral spirits to see if I can move it around so I can find it. If not then I will worry about it after I return from vacation.

Good luck finding some tires Ray.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Early Contemporary 427SC w/ '66 427s.o. (car built in '79) by Snow White Rods (Fresno, CA); XKE Series II front/rear suspension (AMP lower A-arms/half shafts), CWI rebuilt IRS, 4-spd Toploader, PS Engineering knock-off rims.
Send a message via AIM to gjcomb Send a message via Skype™ to gjcomb
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blackbb66 View Post
Get the roll pin out?

Ray
No problemo! Let us know what you end up using!! George
Old 08-16-2011, 10:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, an update to the tire dilemma.
I ended up going with Hankook. 265 50 15 front, 295 50 15 rear. Not really what I wanted but height and width are exactly the same as the BFG Euro TA's that were on the car. I really wanted to go with the Avon's, but at $432 per tire, I just couldn't go there. The Hankook's were right at $700 mounted and balanced. If I like them I'm gonna buy another set and put them away before they quit making them too.
Thanks again for everyons's input.

Ray
Old 08-17-2011, 01:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
Micky Thompson....for 15"
I'll second the Micky's great traction, wear well, grip when needed an reasonably priced. Way better than BFG's.