Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO2089, Ford Crate 393 475 Hp
Not Ranked     
Default Holley Changeout

I'm looking to replace the carb (Holley 750 cfm, electriic choke, vacc secondaries).
I'm looking at three options: Barry Grant Speed Demon series; Quick Fuels and the Proform 67213.
The dyno shop guys were pretty neutral on the choice between the Quick Fuels and Proformance, QF was a bit more expensive, and I havent talked to them yet about the BG carbs. Other forums seem to indicate that the Proformance may have issues. Havent seen anything yet on the QF, and a frined is getting info on the BG carbs this weekend at a car show.
What say the group?
Thanks
Bob
Old 07-22-2011, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, SB 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

QF...call Brent Lykins at B2B Motorsports, give him the engine specs and he can make a recommendation and have a custom carb built for your application. Great guy to deal with.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Well, Barry Grant is out of business now. That should narrow the choices down.

I've never had a Demon carb that was built correctly out of the box. They have all needed rebuilds, cleaned, or modified in one way or the other. One of the reasons that BG went out of business is just because their QC went downhill. Tons of trash in the carbs, screws left out, etc, etc.

You will not go wrong with a Quick Fuel. I use them on every engine I build for a customer. They are a little pricy, but you get what you pay for.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John Dickey at AED also builds a quality carb.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've heard many good reports about custom QF carbs. Barry Grant is out of business as said earlier.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

I would NEVER use a BG carb, but in case those of you that haven't heard...

Moore Good Ink - News
Old 07-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Why not just find someone to CORRECTLY tune your existing carb. if you're having problems? There are a million times more correctly tuned Holley's out there that out perform all those QF, BG and all other "wanna-bees" combined.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ffr-347
Not Ranked     

as Jim said-proper tuning makes a big difference-I changed from a dp650 after it would never run any way other that rich - to a 670 street avenger, now can start cold with no choke-faster warm up-plenty of power-mileage went from 12mpg to 18-20

Bob
Old 07-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I'm running a BG race demon RS sleeved for 1050cfm and other than not being able to find parts right now I have had no problems with it.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by all motor View Post
as Jim said-proper tuning makes a big difference-I changed from a dp650 after it would never run any way other that rich - to a 670 street avenger, now can start cold with no choke-faster warm up-plenty of power-mileage went from 12mpg to 18-20

Bob
..thx. I probably should have indicated that I'm not having problems with the Holley other than a bit rich. The change out of the current carb is driven by other factors not related to trouble and poor performance.

However, before I replace the carb with another Holley, my intent in starting this thread was to get input from individuals who have the other brands installed on their cars and their experience with the brand after the installation.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

X10 on the QuikFuel Carb. Love it.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Holley Performance Products 950CFM Hard Core Gray™ with Black Billet, Aluminum Ultra HP*0-80805HB

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 07-23-2011, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by all motor View Post

Bob
I did just the opposite with a Demon 570 dp on my first FFR.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

I have one of these guys reworked holley anhttp://www.performancecarburetors.com/d its great. I used them because the guy who did my conversion from efi recommended them. That being said I still agree with others who say to buy if from Brent. He helped me out a lot with some clutch issues.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Neutral     

Bob, I might be interested in buying your old Holley. I have a 750 Holley 4150 HP Series set up by Bigs Performance Products. Or maybe I just try it for a few thousand miles.....
Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

I agree with having a Holley Double Pumper gone through, Modded & properly set up by an expert. They just look so classic.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

WardL- I'm sure we could work something out-got anything to trade? ooppss wrong Bob-never mind!

Bob

Last edited by all motor; 07-24-2011 at 06:46 PM..
Old 07-24-2011, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

....hahaha...
Old 07-24-2011, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Get your car to climb up on a chassis dyno and put an A/F sniffer up the exhaust and do some pulls. Bring lots of jets to dial in a good A/F ratio. Make sure your idle circuit is adjusted correctly since it will influence all other fuel circuits. Could very well cure your fat A/F ratio and increase HP and torque in the process. Run the motor at a light cruise at around 2500 rpm and check A/F ratio and adjust the primaries as needed. Then do a full throttle pull and adjust secondaries if needed. Part throttle A/F should be around 14.5-15.0:1 and full throttle a good 12.5-13.0:1 A/F ratio. If you are truly running too rich now you'll see good gains in torque and HP and fuel economy after massaging the carbs A/F ratio.

Bill
Old 07-25-2011, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ZOOM THIS-is there anyone on our side of the pond or down south that does these dyno tunes or has the equipment for A/F ? thanks (the other Bob)