Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '66 Shell Valley, Original "K" Code 289
Not Ranked     
Default Any inspections under 5585 yet?

Well, went into the Gig Harbor DOL office. They gave me a State Police Inspection form indicating that they need to verify year under SB5585. Called the Inspection Office in Tacoma two days and got message that due to vacations and lack of staffing they were not scheduling appointments during that week. Now weather has gone south and looking for a dry day to just run out there and see if I can talk them into looking at my car. Has anyone else had car "inspected" yet, and if so what did it entail? If I get a sunny day before summer and get it done I'll post.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

Doesn't sound good. I hope to get my '63 license plate next week and then go in. Wonder if they knew about the new regulation?
Old 10-24-2011, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40
Not Ranked     

Not such good news guys. Following Mastiff's advice I got my local license bureau to sign an inspection order to verify year of replication under SB5585. Called for an appointment for an inspection. A snotty patrolman called back and refused to believe reinspections or retitling is legal under SB5585. I tried to read Section 5 to him and he wouldn't let me continue. He was also irritated that several kit car owners would try to retitle their cars. I didn't argue further and he said he would await WA St. Police instructions. I have calls in to both Sen. Carrell, sponsor of SB5585, and Steve McDonald, SEMA, who got the retitling provision in the bill. I've also been waiting to hear back from DOL Olympia who says they're researching the bill. Hopefully it's just a snotty patrolman and we can iron this out. Too bad I'm not dealing with Jake.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing
Not Ranked     

I'll be going in soon to try. I already have an original 63 plate. I'll let you know how it goes. I will also take in a copy of the original MSO from FFR. It states that it's a 1965 replica. Don't know if it will matter. We'll see!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I thought there was a huge fundamental flaw in the program when it looked like the State Police were going to get involved. First they are being asked to do something that they are not qualified to do. Second they see themselves apart from and above DOL. They have little training past basic enforcement. Unless the guy you get happens to be a car nut they could not identify a Cobra from a Crosley, much less identify specific years. I see a long and rough road ahead. I ain't giving up my Fox Island PO Box yet (in Pierce County but emissions exempt....go figure that one out).
Old 10-24-2011, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You may be right, but they can't refuse to register cars at all under a state statute. We may have to skirt the St. Police on retitles and get year assignments with paper documentation at DOL. A friend of mine in OR got his Cobra retitled with minimal hassle to 1966 even after it was titled originally as a 2008 in OR. What's with these WA bureaucrats? Stay tuned.

Last edited by SwiftDB4; 10-24-2011 at 09:21 PM..
Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra #1628, Coast Performance Stroker 427W Ford 520HP/535FT.TQ, Blue with white stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftDB4 View Post
Not such good news guys. Following Mastiff's advice I got my local license bureau to sign an inspection order to verify year of replication under SB5585. Called for an appointment for an inspection. A snotty patrolman called back and refused to believe reinspections or retitling is legal under SB5585. I tried to read Section 5 to him and he wouldn't let me continue. He was also irritated that several kit car owners would try to retitle their cars. I didn't argue further and he said he would await WA St. Police instructions. I have calls in to both Sen. Carrell, sponsor of SB5585, and Steve McDonald, SEMA, who got the retitling provision in the bill. I've also been waiting to hear back from DOL Olympia who says they're researching the bill. Hopefully it's just a snotty patrolman and we can iron this out. Too bad I'm not dealing with Jake.
My Guess is that the people at DOL do not know how to deal with the new law. This is common where a new law is formed and they don't educate those who will have to deal with the law. The lady at DOL could just as easy look out the window and determine that the car looks like a 65 not a 2008. Just the same as the the Troop at the inspection station. It does not surprise me that the Troops are going to be put off by this and in my opinion they need to stay out of it and leave it to DOL. You are correct that they have no additional training in this area and the lady behind the counter at DOL could make the same determination as they can with a quick glance at the car. It will be interesting to see how this washes out.

Jake
Old 10-25-2011, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Feel like I'm on a rollercoaster here. Get a call back from the same WA St. inspector today and I'm talking to a different person. He had talked with DOL and/or WA St. Police higher ups. No hostile attitude, actually quite pleasant. Took my VIN and other info. They will work up protocol for inspections from my car. He told me he understood our issues such as emission difficulties and selling to surrounding states. Will get back to me after protocol work with DOL. Guy must have had a really bad day yesterday or Olympia told him we were right about retitling. Until I actually get retitled I'm holding my breath.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Which office are you dealing with?
Old 10-25-2011, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Vancouver, WA inspection station, but I had also contacted the main DOL at Olympia with inspection questions.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The rollercoaster continues. DOL Olympia (some backroom legal person) has determined that despite Section 5 in the bill that still doesn't allow previously titled cars to retitle. I have a call into Steve McDonald at SEMA. Steve drafted the bill and has worked on legislation in many states. At this point I don't know if we are permanently screwed or not. My initial speculation on this bureaucratic BS is either:
(1) Section 5 refers to previous registrations, not previous titles?
(2) DOL has some standing rule that retitling is just not possible?
(3) DOL and WSP are pissed at the # of us attempting to retitle and want to block us despite the legislation.
Stay tuned.

Last edited by SwiftDB4; 10-27-2011 at 04:10 PM..
Old 10-27-2011, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve McDonald (SEMA) e mailed me. He is busy at the annual SEMA show, but will call me Nov. 7. Anybody get anything in writing about this bureaucratic BS?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!
I talked with the DOL person that had shot us down on retitling. She had looked at 5585 again and admitted she had totally overlooked Sec. 5.
She said we do have that right!! Please be patient on inspections. She will notify WSP inspectors. It may take a few days for them to solidify their inspection process on this. Maybe give them a week or two. I believe this is a VIN inspection. I don't know if receipts for chassis, engine, and trans will be required even if you already went thru this. Certainly you won't have to pay use tax twice, but I don't know what happens if you titled long ago and have no receipts now.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

SO glad this is going to work out for those of you in WA state!

Now, if we could just get somebody interested in authoring a bill in the KS legislature to adopt the SEMA plan, that would make me even more happy! Right now replicas newly constructed in KS have to be registered as the year in which they were constructed and meet the safety/pollution requirements thereof.

TX hasn't cracked down on replica owners.....yet. Word on the street is that it is coming. When they do, I can take my Cobra to KS and register it under the present title as a 66 Ford 2T, according to the sheriff in my home county, and then an "antique" license plate will cost me $17 ONE TIME ONLY....no yearly fees after that as I understand it.

We'll see. It is registered in TX until 10/2013 (we can buy our registrations for up to 3 years now....that was a big surprise to me, too).

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     
Default State Police

I am going to palm my Go-Pro when I have when car inspected.

Dale McBain
SP 469
Old 11-04-2011, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-450 HP 460
Not Ranked     

Can't wait to see that vid Dale.
Do it.

Ray
Old 11-07-2011, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

I will need so help when it comes time to post it.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: looking
Not Ranked     

Went into West Seattle office to retitle 67 Lonestar Cobra from 2002 to 1967 under new rules. Office called Olympia and was told not possible only pertained to new kit that were built after went into affect or cars not previously titled. This was first week of October. Please let us know of any updates. Maybe we should all do on same day. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Something not right here. Is West Seattle a licensing office? I talked to DOL Nov. 2. They acknowledged our right to retitle under Sec. 5, 5585. Have you called Bellevue inspection station? I think an inspection is mandatory. Please let us know if you call Bellevue.
Dave Miller
Old 11-17-2011, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I tried the Belleview inspection station a couple of weeks ago. The basic deal seems to be and has always been State Police don't work for DOL and don't intend to. DOL comes up with their policies and interpretations on the fly (i.e. inspections are required for retitle, which by the way is not anywhere in the law) and DOL decides that the State Police should do an inspection, but nobody knows what kind and State Police rightfully say that no inspection is either required by law or necessary and they don't intend to do **** that someone at DOL decides to make up just to let DOL off the hook. I don't see an end to this for a long time, if ever. I don't know of anyone who would be in a position to straighten out DOL and make the State Police play along. I would like to be wrong but I worked for the government for 35 years and this is a perfect example of our operating motto, "Which way today?"