Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default A couple of questions...

Hi...

I am doing some research , as I maybe the owner of a Cobra soon (although still out on just which brand)
Where the best place is to have my car serviced...any recommendations...I live in the Tri Cities WA, and I'm not good with cars apart from filling with gas

Also... any particular engine I should look for that would work best in the desert environment?
Thanks for your advice in advance..
Old 08-15-2012, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by braemar View Post
Hi...

I am doing some research , as I maybe the owner of a Cobra soon (although still out on just which brand)
Where the best place is to have my car serviced...any recommendations...I live in the Tri Cities WA, and I'm not good with cars apart from filling with gas

Also... any particular engine I should look for that would work best in the desert environment?
First and foremost what is your budget and wht do you want to do with your car?
If you want just to show & cruise, why get a 700hp Cobra?
if you want to race? the sky is the limit.

The last question is do you want to buy a turnkey, previously owned or new?
So before you open your wallet think about these issues, then take action.

Any of these options are a lot fun, these are unique vehicles and while we might not all be fortunate to have discretionary funds in excess of $100K to buy a real AC Shelby Cobra 1965 circa we can enjoy the replicas.

As they say emulation is the most sincere way ...of complimenting.
I hope that this will give you some direction as to where to go.
Sincerely
Lou(Basque1)
PS
Cobra hunting is half the fun!!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '66 Shell Valley, Original "K" Code 289
Not Ranked     

Very familiar with th tri-cities area having lived over there for a time and attending WSU. I have lived in FL and other hot environments. People do drive Cobras in hot areas. Make sure you know that for the most part they are very warm to drive. Few have tops and air conditioners. People in hot areas do have Cobras but know what they are. You are driving with what basially amounts to sitting on a transmission with an engine in your lap. That being said, I love my car but pick and choose hot days when I drive it. You may not be bothered by the heat but it was a consideration I did not take into account when I bought mine, plus we only get 2 days a year over 70 here on this side of the state.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic 427 S/C, Full Roller 429ci Super Cobra Jet, RHP Flowed BlueT & RHP Cam, CompCarbs, AirGap, V12 E-Type Jaguar F+R, 4SBBTL
Not Ranked     
Post Considerations

Quote:
Hi...

Where the best place is to have my car serviced...any recommendations...I live in the Tri Cities WA, and I'm not good with cars apart from filling with gas:)

Consider a suggestion to research turn-key (meaning drivable day-1) Cobra options. If your price conscious especially research Cobras where there is a "donor" newish Mustang under the Cobra fiberglass shell. If money is no option then get the $120k Super Snake with crate motor, new racing suspension and drivetrain, and hang on! If your thinking about building your own, be forewarned is a daunting task for even the most experienced car person, and many loose interest along the way, ending with the selling of their project for a dime on every dollar spent.

Undertand that a typical "roller" home-built Cobra will typically be a new Cobra built from old parts collected from junk yards, enthusiasts, collectors and even new 3rd party parts suppliers ($$$). Some of these home-built Cobras can be downright dangerous as the person had no idea what they were doing; or less than adequate budget to do it right and cut-corners along the way leaving a steaming Cobra PoS. Consider that when old parts break, most of us rip it apart and creatively rebuild it because many of these parts are not really sold 1:1 at O'Reilly's Auto Parts just down the street. It can take some creativity to get things up and working again when they break. I went to high school in the late 70's and was in Auto Shop all through High School, so consider myself a lucky Cobra owner in knowing how to work on old 1950-1980 cars soup to nuts.

So if gassing and going is your gig, and your like many with less than deep pockets full of money; I suspect you may be less that happy with the end user experience associated with maintaing a new car built from old parts. Even if you have deep pockets to pay for Cobra care-n-feeding of the engine, drivetrain, cooling, and electrical issues, finding someone experienced, or even be willing to work on your car, that you trust to work on you baby can offer yet another challenge to say the least.

You have come to the right place to tap on experience, but be aware that we Cobra owners when asked for an opinion love to rant and profess more than you can ever imagine. You will love the attention you get in your Cobra, and the certainly exhilaration from driving a 500+ HP 2500lb snake is impressive, so do not get discouraged, just do your purchasing with some forward looking considerations for who you are and what you want (like BAsque1 notes above) and how much time you have, and what you can do with your precious time in this wonderful place we call life.

My 2-Peso's
BC

Last edited by Blue Cobra; 08-15-2012 at 10:09 AM..
Old 08-15-2012, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Cobra View Post
Consider a suggestion to research turn-key (meaning drivable day-1) Cobra options. If your price conscious especially research Cobras where there is a "donor" newish Mustang under the Cobra fiberglass shell. If money is no option then get the $120k Super Snake with crate motor, new racing suspension and drivetrain, and hang on! If your thinking about building your own, be forewarned is a daunting task for even the most experienced car person, and many loose interest along the way, ending with the selling of their project for a dime on every dollar spent.

Undertand that a typical "roller" home-built Cobra will typically be a new Cobra built from old parts collected from junk yards, enthusiasts, collectors and even new 3rd party parts suppliers ($$$). Some of these home-built Cobras can be downright dangerous as the person had no idea what they were doing; or less than adequate budget to do it right and cut-corners along the way leaving a steaming Cobra PoS. Consider that when old parts break, most of us rip it apart and creatively rebuild it because many of these parts are not really sold 1:1 at O'Reilly's Auto Parts just down the street. It can take some creativity to get things up and working again when they break. I went to high school in the late 70's and was in Auto Shop all through High School, so consider myself a lucky Cobra owner in knowing how to work on old 1950-1980 cars soup to nuts.

So if gassing and going is your gig, and your like many with less than deep pockets full of money; I suspect you may be less that happy with the end user experience associated with maintaing a new car built from old parts. Even if you have deep pockets to pay for Cobra care-n-feeding of the engine, drivetrain, cooling, and electrical issues, finding someone experienced, or even be willing to work on your car, that you trust to work on you baby can offer yet another challenge to say the least.

You have come to the right place to tap on experience, but be aware that we Cobra owners when asked for an opinion love to rant and profess more than you can ever imagine. You will love the attention you get in your Cobra, and the certainly exhilaration from driving a 500+ HP 2500lb snake is impressive, so do not get discouraged, just do your purchasing with some forward looking considerations for who you are and what you want (like BAsque1 notes above) and how much time you have, and what you can do with your precious time in this wonderful place we call life.

My 2-Peso's
BC
OK...I know I should have been a bit more informative...so

1. Budget is around $65K
2. Will not race
3. Engine around 450 - 550 hp
4. Turnkey from ??? Backdraft...hopefully they know what they are doing
5. Maintenance does not bother me, provided I can find someone to do it..
6. Look forward to all advice...whatever it is

Of course I'll have a ton of questions...but little by little
Old 08-16-2012, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

You can get a very nice Cobra with a 427 (S.O. or C.O.) or a nice 428. Either will serve you well if they are built correctly. If you want to be authentic go with a 4sp toploader but if you want to enjoy your ride on the freeways I would opt for a TKO 600 transmission. Most common questions you will get from non cobra owners are:
1. Is it real
2. Is that a 427
3. How fast will it go

I know you said you were not going to track your Cobra but I would highly recommend taking a driving lesson at a local road course. These cars are short wheel base cars with lots of torque and power that often will surprise you. You need to know what to expect when certain things happen. It could save you thousands of dollars and diminish the enjoyment of the Cobra. These cars are great fun and attract more attention than you can imagine from everyone from 90 year old ladies to the girl in the next lane flashing you and asking for a ride. Seriously, consider a few laps around a road course so you will know how to react when decide to clean the dust off your tires or pass that corvette.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 08-16-2012, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

Braemar,
We are developing an Excel spreadsheet of Cobra manufacturers and engines. I have it on Google Drive and you can access the spreadsheet at:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzD...XhNMWpHTmFRQTg

Please download the spreadsheet and take a look. If you have any updates or want to include any new criteria, make the changes to the spreadsheet and email it to me at WFridrich@comcast.net.

Thanks,
Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO2089, Ford Crate 393 475 Hp
Not Ranked     

....lots of good advice.
I'm surprised Cobracountry.com hasnt been mentioned yet.
It was a valuable resource and I took my time, spent about a year looking 'em all over until I felt I had a good feel for value and what features I wanted/could afford. I'm also a "filler with gas" type, use the car for cruising and the "Ooh ahh" attention, and my preference was a turnkey rig.

I finally bought mine used about 18 months ago from Park Place Ltd in Bellevue. It's a consignment dealership. Car was 2004 vintage, but was/is flawless, 475Hp meets your criteria above but was about $20k less than your budget. Havent looked back. After some minor tweeks, the car is very reliable and an E ticket ride.

Since you're in WA, suggest you check their web site for what's current and then continue checking cobra country till you are comfortable with the brand and features you are looking for...my two centavos
Old 08-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
They have a fair amount of Cobras in Washington and if you are close enough to look at some of them or go to one of their get togethers do it. That way you can talk to the owners and see what they have did and what they may not like or like a lot. Cobra Country is a good place, but remember buying any car by a picture and what the owner writes about it can be risky. If you have someone who can go look any Cobra that may interest you over thoroughly ask them to do so. Kurt Scott is a good man to talk to and he has been up to a couple of our Bashes By The River when we used to have them. The suggestion to take a driving course whether you mean to race or not was a good one.

Good luck in your hunt and I hope that you find the Cobra that you are looking for.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 08-26-2012, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Regardless of what replica you get, it might be a great chance for you to begin to learn a little about the mechanics of a car. It really isn't all that hard to do routine maintenance on a vehicle. Things like oil changes, greasing the chassis, changing spark plugs, air cleaner replacement don't require a lot of mechanical skills.
It will give you a chance to begin to get to know your car better, as well as save you some money. These cars are not like your daily driver, where you just take them in twice a year for service. If you drive it hard at all, regular inspections should be done, for your safety, and to prevent further damage occurring, if something is failing. Might even be worth taking a night school course, if one is locally available, to learn some basics about the mechanics of vehicles. Learning the terminology, will also help when dealing with a shop that you may decide to take it to.

Just a thought...
Old 08-26-2012, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Quote:
OK...I know I should have been a bit more informative...so

1. Budget is around $65K
2. Will not race
3. Engine around 450 - 550 hp
4. Turnkey from ??? Backdraft...hopefully they know what they are doing
5. Maintenance does not bother me, provided I can find someone to do it..
6. Look forward to all advice...whatever it is

Of course I'll have a ton of questions...but little by little

Based on the info you provided, I think considering a Backdraft turnkey car might be a good option for you. Although on the "right" coast, Vintage Motorsport enjoys a very satisfied customer base. One of their coyote-powered units with 17" wheels and modern rubber just might be ideal.

Welcome to VINTAGE Motorsports

-Allen.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra #1628, Coast Performance Stroker 427W Ford 520HP/535FT.TQ, Blue with white stripes
Not Ranked     

You can't go wrong with Superformance.

Jake
Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1134, Roushcharged Coyote Aluminator NA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullchat289 View Post
Based on the info you provided, I think considering a Backdraft turnkey car might be a good option for you. Although on the "right" coast, Vintage Motorsport enjoys a very satisfied customer base. One of their coyote-powered units with 17" wheels and modern rubber just might be ideal.

Welcome to VINTAGE Motorsports

-Allen.
This is exactly what I did, and I do not regret it. With tax, title and tags well within your budget including several options. I cannot say enough good things about Vintage Motorsports and Revelocity. Very professional and will not steer you wrong. Worth a call (even on the opposite coast). Standard wheel/tire combo from Backdraft is now 18" (new as of a couple of months ago).

Photos in album if interested
Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Markll non doner build,Ford Racing 392,tremec TKO,8.8w/3;73s,Baer brakes,Black w/silver stripes,w/carbon fiber,gauges,spats,hood soop,door panel inserts.
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra for sale

I just happen to have a nice well dialed in Factory Five for sale. I dont know where you are located but or how close you are to buying but its worth looking at. If you pic a dry day to come and look I could take you for a spin.MadDog
Old 08-29-2012, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Boss Replica Motors BB 460 by New Generation Engines
Not Ranked     

Where can I get an original 427 cobra for around 100 grand? 400 to 500 maybe.