Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Registration in Washington

I currently reside in Tennessee and am moving to the Joint Base Lewis-McCord area mind summer next year. I own a Backdraft Cobra (351 W with Webbers) and a 1947 Chevrolet pickup (mild 283). Both vehicles are currently registered in Tennessee; the Backdraft as an assembled vehicle on “normal” plates and the truck as a ’47 on antique plates. Can any of you provide any insight as to what I may face when the time comes to transfer the registrations/titles to Washington?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default I have transfered several titles in WA.

Absolutely no problem for a car with a existing title. I suspect your Cobra will have a normal plate. There is a historical or collector plate of some sort in Washington, but I do not know if your 47 would qualify or if you even want it to as there may be limitations on use. Google the DMV and you should be able to get the info you need.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have asked about emissions testing and the requirements/exemptions for replicas and antique vehicles. I don’t drive either vehicle more than a few thousand miles a year, so special plates (antique/collector) would not be a problem. If I put normal plates on them, would they have to pass emissions?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK3.1 / 347 Stroker 425 HP
Not Ranked     

Gun,

Both should be eligible for Collector plates. No emission requirements for collector vehicles. We had a recent change to Washington Law (SB 5585). You'll be able to title your Backdraft in the year it replicates. I live close to JBLM so get a hold of me when you arrive.

Bruce
Old 10-01-2012, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bruce!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default My grandkids are over there racing on your Go Kart Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceSnyder View Post
Gun,

Both should be eligible for Collector plates. No emission requirements for collector vehicles. We had a recent change to Washington Law (SB 5585). You'll be able to title your Backdraft in the year it replicates. I live close to JBLM so get a hold of me when you arrive.

Bruce
Now I did not know that, I will check into SB 5585 . That just might be applicable to my SPF...thanks Bruce.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR354/FMS392
Not Ranked     

Yes! Another Backdraft in Washington State. I have been feeling lonely! Like everyone else has said, you should be able to get Collector Plates. Only have to run a rear plate, no emmisions and no yearly tags to pay for. Hopefully you can get the "Collector Vehicle" plates.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '66 Shell Valley, Original "K" Code 289
Not Ranked     

Both are eligable for collector plates. The '47 is a direct deal. You go in with the title and they will either give (sell) you regular plates or you can go with collector plates or go on Ebay or here: Old License Plate (I've gotten 2 plates here) and get actual year of issue plates. On your Cobra you will have to get it state inspected which means they look at it and agree that it looks like the year you want to register it as. Mine was originally a Shell Valley ASV 1998 with a Kansas title. I titled it as a 1966 Shelby Cobra and run 1966 plate (if you title it as a collector you do not need a front plate, if not, you do). After the first registration in WA, which you will pay for, you do not pay again for annual registration if you run vehicle as a collector vehicle. The law says collector vehicles can only be driven to shows and gatherings, not as a regularly driven vehicle. I have never heard of anyone getting stopped and asked about this. There is a vehicle registration office (they have contract offices in WA) in Gig Harbor, about 15 minutes from Post. The girls there have done a bunch of these and are the easiest ones around to work with. The registration office will give you a form and sign it and you take it out to the inspection office, about 10 minutes from Post where they look at your car for 2 minutes, BS with you about Cobras for 15 minutes and send you on your way. They do not look at anthing on the car, safety wise.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic 289 FIA
Not Ranked     
Default Registration In Washington

Thanks Mastiff for this information. I am a newbie to the forum and this is actually my first post. I am in the process of purchasing a Contemporary 289 FIA.

Once you go to the Gig Harbor office, do they provide you with Collector Plates or normal plates? The car I am purchasing already has current license plates but they are not Collector Plates.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO2089, Ford Crate 393 475 Hp
Not Ranked     

I'd also like to look into registration of my SPF to get a collector plate, but have a vanity plate I like, WDOMAKR. Can I keep the vanity letters or am I issued a totally new plate and the vanity letters go back into the vanity pool?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK3.1 / 347 Stroker 425 HP
Not Ranked     

If you want a collector plate you will have to give up your personal plate. Here's a couple links:

WA State Licensing: Collector Vehicle license plates
WA State Licensing: Restored license plates

I got my plate from ebay. It's the plate used for 1965 which is a Washington 1963 plate.

Bruce
Old 12-17-2012, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gun Doc, I did just notice that you mentioned being stationed at JBLM. Don't forget, I believe no matter how you register your vehicle, you do have to go through emissions testing to register/bring your vehicles on post. This could cause you a problem you may want to check out in advance with MP's. WA State and DOD regulations do not follow each other.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile Registration in Washington

Once the gals in the Gig Harbor licensing office provide you with a signed form and you take it to the Inspection office, do they then provide you with temporary plates or collector plates?

Will the car also be titles for instance as a 1964 or the date is was manufactured?

Does anyone know where this Inspection office is that is mentioned?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You either get the collector plates from them or you show them the vintage plate (1) you have purchased, and they register it under that plate number. You tell them what year you want the car registered ('63 etc). Don't forget this year must match the vintage plate if you are using one. They may ask you exactly how you want it registered. I told them "1966 Shelby Cobra", which is how they did it, don't let them put in "Kit" "ASVE" or anything similar as that may screw you if you try to sell it later to someone out of state . They do what you tell them if you are firm, mainly because they are not state employees, just contractors, and don't really care. They give you a form, then you call the inspection station at: 2502 112th St E,Tacoma WA 98445 (253) 538-3290. The inspection only consists of you giving them your completed form. They look at your car and say, "yes, it looks like what you said it is", they sign the form and take your money. Takes all of 2 minutes. They do not check your emissions or look at your equipment (horn, turn signals, lights etc.).
Old 12-21-2012, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Registration In Washington

Thanks for this information. It appears to be simple and pain free . Now I just need for the weather to cooperate so I can pick up my first Cobra!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2743, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

I have a Superformance in Washington and retitled it as a 1965 Cobra. One time $125 fee, no annual fees and no emission testing. Some driving limitations apply that don't restrict my use. It was easy after an inspection at the WSP office in Bellevue. I'm still carrying insurance as a 2008 Superformance and hope this is OK. If I apply for insurance as a 1965 Cobra, the depreciation is taken nto account should I have a loss. Otherwise collector car insurance is cost prohibitive.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjw289 View Post
Thanks for this information. It appears to be simple and pain free . Now I just need for the weather to cooperate so I can pick up my first Cobra!
Good Luck Roy...I hope you enjoy the 289.....a lot of love went into that build....great talking to you.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hammer, I have my Cobra registered as 1966 and insured through Grundy at agreed upon value of $45 thousand with comprehensive and collision for a total of $295 per year. They are top rated and my USAA couldn't even come close to double the price. I also have my Harley and '38 Chevy through them.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi John. Thank you for all your help and knowledge. I can tell a lot of love went into this car. I still have not even driven it and picked it up yet with all the rain we have been having. Hopefully it will stop soon. Once I have it I will let you know and shoot a couple of pictures for you. The hoist was just installed in my garage today so it's new home is all ready.

BTW-what is the switch located on then far right for! Is their also a fuel pump toggle switch?
Old 12-23-2012, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjw289 View Post
Hi John. Thank you for all your help and knowledge. I can tell a lot of love went into this car. I still have not even driven it and picked it up yet with all the rain we have been having. Hopefully it will stop soon. Once I have it I will let you know and shoot a couple of pictures for you. The hoist was just installed in my garage today so it's new home is all ready.

BTW-what is the switch located on then far right for! Is their also a fuel pump toggle switch?
The fuel pump is mechanical so no worries there....My memory ain't what it used to be....take a look under the dash and send me a pic of it and the location, I will try to remember. I will also see if I have any notes on it. I think one of the switches may have been a spare and not connected.

Best of luck...and respect that thing...again and again!