Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Dyno / Tuner Recommendation

Finalizing a purchase on a SP. Has a 460 that is stroked to 521. Running P51 heads and a CompCams solid roller (FF-4420-4132-R108). Victor 4500 /1050 Holly. Compression is 10.4:1. TKO500 and Ford IRS. Car will reside in Lake Stevens, WA.

Questions:

1. The car is coming from high altitude (5000' plus) do you have a dyno/tuner/shop that is recommend some where between Bellingham and Olympia, WA?

One recommendation I have heard of is Blood Enterprises out of Auburn, WA.

2. If I jump ring to an 8 stack EFI set up, would the tuner in question #1 be different?

Thank you!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

I have used Carb Connection High Performance Auto Services | Hemi - BMW - Corvette/Camaro - Car/Truck - Carburetor/Smog Repairin Kirkland, they have a Dynojet dyno (which I prefer). I have EFI so I had to do my own tune, but since you have a carb they can do the tune. So I have no immediate experience with their tuning talent. I can attest to the fact that they perform the dyno runs with the proper cautions.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 6322
Not Ranked     

Blood is a good tuner but be prepared to give some of your own. Get an estimate.

Carb Conn also does good work.

I think there is still a dyno in Auburn at the mustang shop right off of 167 (just south of 18)
'89 Saleen #0366 - My donor for FFR 6322.

If things seem really under control, you're not going fast enough. -Mario Andretti
Old 01-17-2013, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic 427 S/C, Full Roller 429ci Super Cobra Jet, RHP Flowed BlueT & RHP Cam, CompCarbs, AirGap, V12 E-Type Jaguar F+R, 4SBBTL
Not Ranked     

Talk to Scotty at RHP in Tacoma, just off 512. I tore it down and built it back up and he did the shop/tuning work on my full roller 429 Super Cobra Jet. RHP has a full machine shop on one side and dyno next door. He is master porter aka MadPorter, and tuner. Scotty will tune you Snake at the Dyno, don't forget to share the video.

Scotty had my Holley 780 dual-pumper ported and flowed, and set up with dual-stage power valves to handle going from Sea-Level to 10,000 feet with no tinkering or running rich/lean.

He really knows the Ford 385 blocks inside and out. If you want a custom cam grind he is the master! Easy to work with and honest as hell.

Here is the link to RHP:
Re in"Car"nation High Performance - Home

BC Kevin

Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you folks.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One follow up question . . .

How concerned should I be about gently running the car (transport truck to garage, garage to tuner)? Say 70 miles total. Car was tuned at 5400 ft elevation. Moving down to Sea-level . . same fuel + thicker air = lean.

I am not sure how lean . . . if car say, never goes above 3K RPM on the way to the tuner . . am I at risk?

Also . . the car has a tank full of 110 octane fuel. . . why with only 10.4:1 and aluminum heads? Because the previous owner ran the fuel in everything he owned. . . to many stacks of hundred dollar bills I guess.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Any way you can borrow a air/fuel ratio meter ? Or can you trailer your car to where it needs to be?
Old 01-19-2013, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrQ View Post
Any way you can borrow a air/fuel ratio meter ? Or can you trailer your car to where it needs to be?
Don't have an air/fuel ratio meter . . and even if I did, I would have an easy way to test the mix through 3000 RPM under load.

I could dig up a trailer, yes . . . but a pain.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra #1628, Coast Performance Stroker 427W Ford 520HP/535FT.TQ, Blue with white stripes
Not Ranked     

I would trailer it if possible. You will most likely be o.k., but do you want to take a chance burning it down? You generally are running on the idle circuit below 2500RPM so if you drive it keep it below that.

Jake
Old 01-20-2013, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I appreciate the advice.

I finalized the purchase yesterday. Took a day trip down to Colorado and back. Car is being loaded on the transporter today.

Attached is a picture.

I think the easiest and safest way will be to pull the front and rear bowls, take a look at what jets the car is currently tuned with . . . and then upsize both sets by two sizes (1 size for each 2,000 foot of elevation drop). Car's elevation when tuned was 4800 feet. I would think this will get it in a very safe range to then get it to a dyno and have it properly tuned.

It will need to be ran approx 2 miles from the transport drop to my garage in its current form.

Does the above approach cause any concerns?

Thanks all.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you're on track. I've heard 2 fuel jet sizes up as a starting point also from CO to sea level. At least you'll be more in the ballpark for the tune.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1972 De Tomaso Pantera
Send a message via ICQ to Lebeter Send a message via AIM to Lebeter Send a message via MSN to Lebeter Send a message via Yahoo to Lebeter
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Cobra View Post
Talk to Scotty at RHP in Tacoma, just off 512. I tore it down and built it back up and he did the shop/tuning work on my full roller 429 Super Cobra Jet. RHP has a full machine shop on one side and dyno next door. He is master porter aka MadPorter, and tuner. Scotty will tune you Snake at the Dyno, don't forget to share the video.

Scotty had my Holley 780 dual-pumper ported and flowed, and set up with dual-stage power valves to handle going from Sea-Level to 10,000 feet with no tinkering or running rich/lean.

He really knows the Ford 385 blocks inside and out. If you want a custom cam grind he is the master! Easy to work with and honest as hell.

Here is the link to RHP:
Re in"Car"nation High Performance - Home

BC Kevin
Does he have an engine dyno or a chassis dyno?
Old 01-25-2013, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic 427 S/C, Full Roller 429ci Super Cobra Jet, RHP Flowed BlueT & RHP Cam, CompCarbs, AirGap, V12 E-Type Jaguar F+R, 4SBBTL
Not Ranked     

Scotty has a good working relationship with a dyno shop close to his that has both engine and chassis dynos, where he will go to with you and charge hourly to tune your ride with the dyno. Scotty shop mostly focuses on engine building, and top end work like ignition systems, fuel delivery/intake systems, heads, valves, springs, porting/flowing and custom cams are his sweet spot.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

Last edited by Blue Cobra; 01-25-2013 at 02:53 PM..