Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2001, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 460 crate motor (525hp), custom billet dash, carbon fiber, Blue w/white stripes. Gotta love it!
Not Ranked     
Default I'm Going to Sell the Cobra

Everyone told me once we had this baby the Cobra would be the first thing to go. Well I might be considering selling, but I'm not out! I can't decide exactly what to do, but it will involve either a Daytona, GT-40 or another Cobra. Hopefully I'll be back on the road again Summer 2002? I can't miss some of these road trips that are being planned.

What do you guys think is a good way to market these cars. One quick way would be to take it down to the Sterling Auction coming up in a couple weeks. See www.Silverauctions.com or Consignment at Park Place in Bellevue? E-bay? Newspaper?

Any thoughts would be appreciaited.

Mixed Emotions,
Todd

Last edited by Todd & Kris; 11-15-2001 at 09:07 PM..
Old 11-15-2001, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Todd, I would think you'd want some national exposure for your car. I doubt if many people are shopping for a Cobra around here this time of year. How about "Cobra Country" or here?

Rich
Old 11-15-2001, 07:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

improve your odds: list it simultaneously on the 'cars for sale' sections in Club Cobra and Cobra Country as a first priority, and at same time run ads in your local SeaTac papers. National advs can be placed in the "Mustangs and Ford Trader" or "Hemmings Motor News" publications, but lead time from adv placement to newstands can get to you there and cause delays. I have found Classic Car auctions are not good venues for Cobra replicas of any brand and eBay seems to have mixed results on Cobra replicas. I lived in Bellevue for 5 yrs not so very long ago and Park Place seemed to always get the showroom traffic but don't know what their 'sale rate' is as a percentage of listings or on sales what their percentage was of sale price vs asking price (but you control the selling price). These cars , like most other classic , collector or muscle cars are most often 'easy to buy and hard to sell" . I learned long ago that they are NOT investments but also remember, the depreciation/holding costs/expenses on these cars once completed over one or even 3-5 yrs is typically less by a big margin (exluding any engine /trans rebuilds) than the depreciation in one year on a Caddy or Lincoln or ???? most late model cars bought new this year and sold one year later. Good Luck. Bill.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry Gang,

Wrong forum for my post.

Last edited by FIAFRED; 11-15-2001 at 09:55 PM..
Old 11-16-2001, 02:19 PM
Charter Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Shell Valley Coupe is here! Now the building begins....
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

I got the most interest from the add I put in Cobra Country. Also don't get caught up in the price, do a lot of research on comparables and be honest to yourself first.

Good luck,

Scott S
Old 11-18-2001, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VICTORY, 92 C.I., belt drive, saddle bags.
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Todd... Oh No!

I'm sorry to learn of this. Sure glad I got to run with you a couple weeks ago...

Also pleased that a replacement is in the plan. I like the Park Place idea, but I too have no info as to what their sales rate is. Rich bought his there. I usually see only the Park Place owned cars, and mostly new Superformance rolling chassis units, not many consignment cars, maybe thats good? Besides... you know the folks there personally, eh?

Keep us posted on your progress and as to where you have the beast advertised.

Take a deep breath and a shot of nitrous.... you'll then make it till next season!

Best of Luck with Highest Regards,

Zderf

PS. Can I have the new Goodyears?

Last edited by Zderf; 11-18-2001 at 04:43 PM..
Old 11-18-2001, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 EFI; CAV GT40, 427W
Not Ranked     
Default If I had tons of money to blow...

I would build a new ERA GT 40 Mk. II (big block version) with an all aluminum FE with lots of power.

Gary
CAV GT40 Dealer
www.2gmotorsports.com
Old 11-18-2001, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 460 crate motor (525hp), custom billet dash, carbon fiber, Blue w/white stripes. Gotta love it!
Not Ranked     
Default Re: If I had tons of money to blow...

Thanks for the information guys! I'm thinking the first thing I'll do when I sell is to buy an aluminum block 427 side-oiler. Check out these sites:

www.genesis427.com or
www.cobracountry.com/southern/427engine.html

That way I got the engine I want, and I'm committed to seeing it through. Time will tell? I think I'm going to try the auction next Saturday. I can set a minimum reserve price, and so my only risk is a couple hundred dollars if I don't get my price.

Do you guys think I should remove the Nitrous system? As a buyer, would this make you nervous that the engine has had a rough life? Even though it has not.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 11-18-2001, 05:47 PM
Charter Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Shell Valley Coupe is here! Now the building begins....
Not Ranked     

I sold the first engine I had in my Cobra (a really nice 302) and the buyer was concerned that I had had NO2 on it. He had many friends that urged him not to buy for that reason.

I would remove it all and act as if it was never there.

My 2 cents,

Scott S

BTW he installed it in a 55 Ford PU and it has been running great ever since!
Old 11-19-2001, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Exclamation Ramblings

On the Nitrous, good point. Would you buy a high performance car with racing tires and nitrous after being told it was grandma's car? Ummm, thinking that one over.

I've heard of that Genesis motor long ago. The web site has been static for well over a year. There was a thread on CC some time ago about the fact that it may well be a fiction motor. I think I read "beware". Lotsa seemingly good things about Southern however.

Caution..... you will have far less time in the short and near term future (up to 18 years, or another child?) to build a car. Only fleeting moments will available to use one that is idling in the garage. I'm thinking completed unit...

my less than $0.02....

Zderf
Old 11-19-2001, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: Ramblings

Zderf et al...

Your $0.02 are well to consider.

Thank You,
Todd

P.S. I'll keep you up-to-date on the happenings.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 EFI; CAV GT40, 427W
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Re: If I had tons of money to blow...

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd & Kris
Thanks for the information guys! I'm thinking the first thing I'll do when I sell is to buy an aluminum block 427 side-oiler. Check out these sites:

www.genesis427.com or
www.cobracountry.com/southern/427engine.html

Todd
What is wrong with the Shelby or Dove Aluminum Blocks? Does anyone have good or bad experiences with either?

Gary
CAV GT40 Dealer
www.2gmotorsports.com
Old 11-20-2001, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm officially going to go for the auction this Saturday at the Exhibition Center. Come on down, their will be a lot of nice cars, see the auction list at their website. I'm #110 in order, so I'll auction later in the afternoon. I might need a few pseudo bidders in the audience bringing the price up. Ha Ha!

I did set a minimum reserve to be safe, but it's very low for the car and the auctioneer was certain it would sell above my reserve?

We shall see. I'm going to post a notice in the Cobra's for sale section. To see the list go to www.silverauctions.com The wife (Kris) promised me that this is my money and I can do with it what I want. It's rather exciting to think of what might be next?

Todd
Old 11-20-2001, 11:41 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

Todd, my feelings are mixed. First Scott and now you are selling your cobra....On the other hand, as you say, the thought of what's next has to be a good feeling. Especially if those thoughts are a Daytona or GT40...

Good luck my friend!
Old 11-24-2001, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 327 Corvette powered Healey 100-4
Not Ranked     

Todd,
I made it by the auction today. I was there to check out a 60s vintage Land Rover Series II '88' (not worth the trip up as it turned out). But I did see your car and I must say it "presented" very well. I liked the very substantive spec sheet you had with the car. Noticed the "nitro" was still hooked up. There were awed lookie-loos around it the entire time. I'm curious, did you make your reserve? When I was there (11am–1:30pm), not much was selling. I've been to a number of Silver Auctions and there's not a better floor show around for $7 bucks. The BS is non stop!

Best of luck! Walt
Old 11-24-2001, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Walt;

Sorry I missed you. I was in a daze the whole time. I got there at 8:00 am and left at 5:00pm. Too long of a day for nothing!

There were barely any buyers there, and most people had reserves that were quite high. I had a very low reserve, but the bidding stopped at $24,000 and I'm willing to take a big loss, but not that big.

The "no reserve" cars were excellent deals, almost unbelievable! Nice Jaguar XJ6 for $700, 1990 Mercedes 560SL for $9100, and that sweet Triumph Spitfire the guy just sank $7500 into that sold for $3200?

Oh well? I'm only out a $100 fee, and I think I was the only car that got an applause as I drove off the block. I'm thinking I should just wait for Spring '02?

Todd & Kris
Old 12-15-2001, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA gone now
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Hey Todd,

Sorry you've decided to sell, but everything has it's time.

Just some personal observations.

Silver auctions don't have a very good reputation for presenting quality cars. That's unfortunate for the few that do end up going through, but that reputation keeps the serious $ buyers away.
As for Park Place, Rich's experience not withstanding, I haven't been impressed there either. When I was looking for a Cobra I was pretty much ignored there. The one sales guy that decided to talk to me must be psychic. I obviously didn't fit the profile of a serious car buying nut, as he never followed up with me.

Despite our enthusiasm for these cars, they are a limited interest vehicle. The dream of building one "cheap" undermines realistic sales prices (we've all had the opportunity to talk to several guys who've penciled out every detail of building one for 20 thou or so!). Scott's experience with Cobra Country is probably as good as any. There you have an interest focused buying group. I think the suggestion of several outlets is a good one. The more exposure you give yourself (I mean the car) the better your odds. While some don't think ebay is a good venue, it does attract the worst of the dreamer element, it is still good exposure and could lead to some serious off line negotiation.

The best opportunities though are at swap meets and car shows. The buyer gets to see the car first hand, the lust factor is at it's highest, and no amount of pictures is a substitute for see, touch, smell and drive. It can become a lot like work, but to maximize your sales price, that's what works. And yes, lose the nitrous. It yells "I'VE BEEN FLOGGED".

Sell the nitrous to Fred, he's nearing the age when he needs more supplements in his diet .

Good luck.

Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity converge.
Old 12-15-2001, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question FRED???

You must bee talking about Fred Hamilton... I'm Zderf.

Oh... look who's talking!!

Zderf (see!)
Old 12-15-2001, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA gone now
Not Ranked     
Wink

Hey Zderf (whatever!!!!)

You knew to whom I was referring!

Actually, brother Hamilton is, I believe, my senior, so of course I would refer to him with far more reverence.

As tomorrow I hit the double nickle, I believe that allows me a higher level of curmudgeon-ness, not that I really needed any more.

Enjoy your squeeze!

Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity converge.
Old 12-15-2001, 04:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I want you to know I still have a few years to go before I see the double nickle. Now about that laughing gas I could always use a few more ponies, its better to have them than need them.