Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2002, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 460 crate motor (525hp), custom billet dash, carbon fiber, Blue w/white stripes. Gotta love it!
Not Ranked     

Bob, Bish & ZDerf;

Thanks for advise. I will have the axles checked out by a machine shop. One thing in my favor is that I have a shortened 9", and therefore, the axles had to be custom made. So whoever went to the expense of having these axles made likely had them hardened? How can I tell?

Todd
Old 02-06-2002, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VICTORY, 92 C.I., belt drive, saddle bags.
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Hardened

Quote:
So whoever went to the expense of having these axles made likely had them hardened? Todd
The only thing hardened in my earlier diff's life were the criminals that customized the axles!!! My custom "narrowed" shafts were turned from the original shafts... and were not "properly" hardened. At least that's the prognosis of NWD. That is why mine twisted so far before it snapped.

You cannot determine hardness by eye. A machine shop that has a hardness tester should be able to check it for you (preferably a sonic type so you can measure the spline area without marking).

Bish is right about the damage done at failure. That's how my bill got so frapp'in big.... oh, not to mention sitting road-side for a couple hours whilst cars went by gladly honking at me (har-har-har) as they went by.

Ummmm. I'm thinking new 31 tooth'ers. But, your money is easier for me to spend than mine!! (I had NO CHOICE)

Happy decision time!!!

Zderf...
Old 02-06-2002, 02:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427SC #188 ZZ4 Crate, Tremac 3550
Send a message via AIM to Bish Wheeler
Not Ranked     
Default Ditto

Mine too were shortened stock shafts. They were twisting and were about to break. From what I have seen, the 28 tooth splines are machined "down" into the axle, the 32 tooth splines are on an oversized axle so you don't give up any meat, plus the hardening. Also means an over sized bushing at installation.

Bish
Old 03-08-2002, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Wazzuupp?

Yo Todd,

Haven't seen or heard hide nor hair of you in weeks. How's things coming along?

Maybe see you on the 16th?

Drop us a line.... not a bomb!!!

Tootles.......

Zderf
Old 03-08-2002, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 460 crate motor (525hp), custom billet dash, carbon fiber, Blue w/white stripes. Gotta love it!
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Wazzuupp?

Zderf & Bish;

Somehow I missed your last couple posts from early February?

Anyhow, I'm here and I've been working hard at it. I pulled the axles and took them to Jim Green's, they magnufluxed them, checked them for hardness, and inspected the splines under close scrutiny. The result was that these axles are in perfect condition? I thought that I had abused these axles in the past with some neck snapping "hole shot" passes at SIR with drag radials. If they made it through that without a scar then I figure I'll stick with them and put the money I would have spent, into other things.

I also installed a Detroit True-trac, went back to 3.00 gears (the 3.50 were too short for freeway cruising with a 3-speed auto). All new bearings and seals throughout.

Then the money I would have spent on the axles went to Eibach 250lb./in rear springs, Koni adjustable shocks, Energy Suspension bushing at all 4 rear control arms, new rear brake calipers, turned the rotors, and 3" NHRA spec wheel studs.

With a full day tomorrow and a 1/2 day during the work week I should have it all back togther for the 16th. My fingers are crossed.

Todd
Old 03-08-2002, 11:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You been a busy boy. Glad the axles checked out and you could spread the $$ around a bit. See you next Sat.

Bish

P.S. How's the baby?
Old 03-09-2002, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up WOW!!

Awesome update!! You've been styling right along, the whole time. What was I thinking?

This is great news....

Wonder what Brent, Fred H, SteveT, and all those other guys we used to hear from have been up to?

I'll post something regarding next weekends meeting round about Wednesday....

See you next Saturday at the Hook!

OH... BTW, Rich and I are headed for the Roadster Show Sunday, as the doors open at 10. Maybe see some yawl there??

Regards,

Zderf
Old 03-09-2002, 09:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Zderf & Rich

Think I'll venture out of the far north and go to the Roadster Show too. I'll try to find you guys.

Bish
Old 03-09-2002, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Cool My wife and I went to the roadster show Thursday..

And I was wondering who owned the three cobras there...no one around to claim ownership, that we could see?
1) A silver ERA from Oregon
2) A black FFR from WA
3) A Red Classic w/white stripes

The star of the show in my opinion was the 1940 Ford Phaeton, by Steve's auto restorations of Portland, Oregon. It was an unbelieveable work of art with extensive shaved brass trim which was chromed, and Chuck Barr, the general manager, took me inside the rope to peek under the hood and inside the car's interior, that is until one of the show monitors came over and told him he could not take folks inside the ropes to show his OWN car! These people (the people who run the exposition center) are your average Seattle liberals, they even wanted to search my wife's purse when we entered, after paying $13.00 each to get in to a (totally peaceful) exposition, and $8.00 for parking in a nearly empty garage!!! I think the guys doing the entrance "search" felt pretty bad about it, actually.

Seattle. I usually love it, but sometimes....
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 03-09-2002, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: baby pic

Thanks for asking, Baby Lauren is doing great. I took this picture this evening, she is now 5 months and 10 days.

Last edited by Todd & Kris; 03-09-2002 at 10:15 PM..
Old 03-09-2002, 10:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Baby pic

I'll try again?

Well not sure what's going on, I reduced the file size below 20K bytes, but it still won't post?

Last edited by Todd & Kris; 03-09-2002 at 10:25 PM..