Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2002, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Licensing and registering in Washington State

Hi People from the the NW. I would like any information on the do and don'ts about licensing a Cobra in Washington State Thanks TLF
Old 06-10-2002, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Default Depends on where in WA you register it!

I am in the Lacey/Olympia area...here there are no smog checks !
In Tacoma, (Pierce county) there likely are. If you have any way to register it in a non smog area, do so!
Aside from all that, if you can, get it registered as a 1966. etc... to forestall/eliminate any potential future changes in federal/state emissions laws. They are almost always "grandfathered in".

There is no inspection in WA state for kit cars, or cars newly registered from out of state, etc..., so all you do is pay and play, minus the emissions testing possibilities!

Have fun, summer is finally here! It will be 80 degrees here today ! (June 10th) My turnkey WCC will be here in July !
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 06-10-2002, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA gone now
Not Ranked     

Welcome aboard,

Depending on what your motivations are it might be more practical to buy an existing car that is already titled, especially with a '60's date.(and they're almost always more cost effective if you find a well built one equipped the way you can live with) Now that the vin inspection stations no longer exist, any legitimate title can be transferred without the inspection hassles we used to deal with.
If you must build your own, make sure you get the MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin), and keep every receipt, especially for the major components (engine, trans, wheels, etc. etc) as these will be required for both titling and our beloved excess (I mean excise!) tax (yet another area where buying the existing car can be less costly).

Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity converge.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Registering Kit Cars in WA

It seems this topic comes up every few years. Here is a "reprint" from 7/6/00 that I submitted shortly after going thru this ordeal. Maybe some things have change, but I think as a whole these rules will still apply.

The car is registered by the year of the Chassis and not the engine. That means if you live in an area with emission control you will have to fight a battle. If there is not Manuf. I.D. number stamped on the chassis the State Patrol will provide you with a number plate for about $25.00.

The State Patrol only checks for stolen parts when registering the car. They did not look at my car for road worthiness.

You will need receipts for all "major" components with V.I.N. numbers from the vehicle the parts came from or if you buy the part from a retail outlet (such as a crate motor) just their receipt will do. I heard from one person that the receipts needed to be notarized also. If your receipts don't have the V.I.N. number, as in my case, you can register the car but can not title it for three years.

Now that we don't pay excise tax the pain to register the car is not as bad, but don't forget you will be asked to pay sale tax on the receipts you bring in on items that were bought out of state or at swap meets. This could be a big number, so some might bring in only the receipts for the kit, engine and drive train.

Good luck!

….. The WSP wrote right on the document that I had to take to DOL, along with my receipts, that the car was to be registered as a 1996 or the year the chassis was made.

I must admit there seems to be allot of confusion on how this process works within both the WSP & DOL. I guess they don't do this every day and the people they hire at DOL are sometimes not the sharpest knifes in the drawer.

I would heed Bob's advice. It is easier and cheaper to buy a completed car that is registered than to build your own. That is unless you're like me and just like to put things together yourself.

Good Luck,
Roger Carlson
Old 06-11-2002, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Red face THERE NO LONGER IS A VEHICLE INSPECTION IN WASHINGTON STATE !

That ended a year ago! It cost too much and the state ended it!

And I suspect that as a turnkey, the paperwork provided by my manufacturer will decide what year the car will be registered as...it will say 1966 cobra

As a home built kit, I do not know how they determine year, it may be by chassis completion date...call the local (privatized) dept of lisc and ask them about your specifics.
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 06-11-2002, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 6322
Not Ranked     

I think the rules changed in June or July last year and it is alot easier to register. I'm not anywhere close to doing it but some other people should know more. Is Neal out there? He will have to do this with his 40 and Donovan did it last year with his FFR.

Carman

Last edited by Go Hard or Go Home; 06-11-2002 at 10:45 AM..
Old 06-11-2002, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GT40 NZ / FFR Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Not a problem

State law indicates that your car's registration date may not be older than the MSO or Certificate of Origin date. Prior to 2002, all cars registered prior to 1973 are subject to smog testing (King County). You have a five year waiver if registered in the current model year. Now "specialty vehicles" don't require smog.

A few have had the DMV register their cars as the replica module year (i.e. 1965). This is not typical though and actual not correct as far as the law reads.

Make sure to bring all documentation for parts and your kit when you do a State Patrol inspection. They just want to make sure you didn't steal any parts.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking OK, I'll rephrase it!!

THERE NO LONGER IS A WASHINGTON STATE PATROL VEHICLE INSPECTION IN WASHINGTON STATE !

That ended a year ago! It cost too much and the state ended it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 06-11-2002, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GT40 NZ / FFR Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Check the law...

Washington State Law - Kit Vehicle Registration
Old 06-11-2002, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Smog testing requirements

I'm still confused! The RCW 46.16.680 does not address smog testing. Are you saying that if you have a KITV on your registration there is no more smog testing?
Old 06-11-2002, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Exclamation It may be confusing between turnkey with a source/manufacturer, vs...

A home built kit. I do admit that I asked only about a turnkey at the local lisc location, since that's what I am getting, but there will be NO inspection for my new turnkey, OR any cobra brought in from out of state, that was registered prior....

Pretty dern sure about this, too. Why don't we all call our local Lisc shop and ask, and post what we found out?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 06-11-2002, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe that is what is going on.

I went through the State Patrol Inspection in 1997 (no problem) they issued me a VIN numbber and checked my receipts and certificate of origin from Factory Five. They gave me all the paperwork to get my plates and title at the any licensing place. I licensed it as a 1997 KITV 427 Cobra Replica.

I have never been asked for a smog inspection when I get my tabs.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VICTORY, 92 C.I., belt drive, saddle bags.
Not Ranked     
Question Smog or Not?

Quote:
I went through the State Patrol Inspection in 1997 (no problem) they issued me a VIN numbber and checked my receipts and certificate of origin from Factory Five. They gave me all the paperwork to get my plates and title at the any licensing place. I licensed it as a 1997 KITV 427 Cobra Replica. White Snake
White Snake...If you registered as a 1997, then 2002 would be your 1st year to be tested with the 5 year waiver. Have you received your 2002 tab renewal yet? If so, have smog been removed?

Roger C... I'm still confused as well. I knew of the initial 5 year waiver (mostly intended for new vehicles), mine ends in 2003. I've been thinking that I have to obtain another waiver when my 5 years is up.

Is it true? Did the Dept of Ecology remove the smog requirements for Kit vehicles??? I want it to be so....

Zderf
Old 06-12-2002, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am good until October. I will let you know. I still have all the smog stuff including cats if I need to put it all back on.