Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2002, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Cobra information for a newbie

Hello Cobra owners in the NW.

I'm thinking a getting my first Cobra and know nothing about them. Any suggestions on where to start?

Also, I'm looking for any owners in the Boise, Idaho area? Any Cobra owners over here?

Any information is appreciated.

Thor
Old 11-18-2002, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thor,
Go to www.cobracountry.com. You'll find "The complete guide to Cobra replicas" as well as the video, "Bitten by the Snake". The guide is a list of manufacturers and some do's and don'ts including the "10 golden rules for buying a replica". The video is similar, but with more practical information and some great footage of Cobras in action. The video is 90 minutes long.

Cheers
Jim
Old 11-18-2002, 08:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's amazing how much more you learn AFTER you own one! I thought I had done a fair amount of research on the subject and it took a long while for me to buy. I poured over the Cobra Country web site, bought the book, and read a lot.

AFTER I bought I found out about this, Club Cobra, web site! HERE is where I have learned more about Cobras than ALL other sources combined. I spent several weeks reading old posts and researching threads.

SO many choices to be made! Expense vs originality is probably the first one. An FFR with a small block will sell for much less than an SPF with a more "correct" 427 for instance. The cost difference could easily be 10's of thousands of dollars.

Small block vs Big Block cars is another HUGE decision. I went Small Block (302). EVEN with a small block I quickly got into trouble with sliding sideways, spinning out, etc. These cars WILL bite. After a few months I was wanting MORE power, I had "mastered" the cars ability. That will NEVER happen with a Big Block, IF you do survive the first few months, ha ha!

Number 2 Cobra ideally will have a strong 351. A nice balance between to small and to big. And I really want IRS this time. Heck, I have a LIST of things I want to look for now! As the "list" of "must have" grows, the "cost" goes up a LOT! Maybe an FFR with a 351 is OK, but I sure WANT an aluminum body. Well, some of us just can't have it all.

Ernie
Old 11-18-2002, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb First things you need to decide:

#1) What's my total budget? Better add at least 10% for a safety margin, minimum.

#2) Original or improved/custom flavor? Both are nice but have their up and down side...

Then look at and sit in (and drive if possible) every make you have narrowed it down to..
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 11-18-2002, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Thor,

I've been looking for a couple years now & I am getting ready to finally purchase one. As mentioned before budget is the first thing you need to figure out. Ideally if everything worked in your favor & you have the ability to do most of the work yourself you could build a FFR car for under $20,000. That's your starting point! Now go get em'!!!

But really there are so many different kits out there all built in different ways. Some look like a persons own vision of a Cobra & some of you will have to really look to tell if they are the real thing (That is once you really do some studying). I would really suggest you read as much as you can on these replicas, the manufacturers & the history as you possibly can. Take some time & make the right decision for you. & If you have all the money in the world there is an empty space in my garage too!
Old 11-18-2002, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33868 Sold. Just "playin' the boards now."
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the Cobra addicts finest meeting place.

Search this site by key word and you'll find a lot of answers to your qustions.

Al
Old 11-18-2002, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thor I'am new to the replica world also. One thing I can tell you is visit this site for a while; these guys will amaze you!!! There is always someone to answer any questions no matter what the topic. Best of luck.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks!

Thanks to all who replied to my post.

I will not be doing the work myself and I would like to spend roughly 20-30k so I'm looking at used (I would assume).

I've looked on Ebay and there appear to be a number of kit builders out there that market their wares that way. Prices are definately all over the board and I'm sure that as I hang around here and learn more I will understand completely.

Thor
Old 11-18-2002, 06:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Understand completely? Ha ha, well you'll be ahead of me then, thats for sure. The Cobra "market" is a complex mixture of dreamers (asking WAY to much) to "excellent", a great buy for the money.

I've walked away from Cobra deals only to find out a "bidding" war broke out later and the guy got more for it than I would have thought possible! Go figure! I know of one car listed right now that (in my opinion) there is NO WAY he will get near the asking price. It's been 4 sale for a LONG time and no reduction is asking price. Think he will get it? Heck, wouldn't surprise me in the end! IT's a strange market out there.

Ernie
Old 11-18-2002, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     

I found tha t a lot of good deals show up on KitCar's "Cars for Sale" site. Talk to an insurer before you finalize sales---I found that it's often nearly impossible to trace the car's history--VINs? Naw... If you find someone unwilling to state who their carrier is/was---walk away. Ask someone like "Mr. Fixit" (on this site) what indicates that your prospective cobra has been used as a weed-whacker.

Best of luck--I'm sorta in the same boat---no car yet.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA535 with 427FE s.o.& toploader
Send a message via AIM to bonyhadi Send a message via Yahoo to bonyhadi
Not Ranked     

welcome to the site, raise your budget to $40k and you'll start finding some nice used Cobras.
Good hunting!
Old 11-18-2002, 09:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

...key word there being "nice",,,as in "well done" and no apologies needed. For somewhat less money, the car comes with a whole "list" of excuses:

easier to drive than a Big Block monster, more room than the original (longer wheel base), easy maintaince (only 6 spark plugs needed instead of 8), the live axle is for "drag racing" not road raceing (yeah, thats the ticket), 4 lug wheels are "lighter", aluminum dents to easy, chrome side pipes get to hot so "paint" is better, square vs round tube frame is "stonger", vinyl cleans easier than leather, and the NUMBER 1:

The price is right (and thats a hard one to get around)!

Uh oh, I bet the "list" will piss off somebody, better duck and cover. LOL

Ernie
Old 11-18-2002, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Ernie,
No one would be upset at your list. If you owned a Cobra, that is a different story. We have learned to ignore those who don't own a Cobra.
"Used to" and "will in the future" doesn't count.

I am one of those people. I don't pay attention to me either.

TURK
Old 11-18-2002, 11:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Turk,,,,,with a CSX car, you don't need a list!

Ernie
Old 11-20-2002, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Think this will go for the bid so far?

This looks like a nice car that has only been bid to $26,300 at the time of this post. Think it will go for anywhere close to that?

[http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...gephotohosting[/url]
Old 11-20-2002, 06:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That is one fine looking Cobra and the price is nice at 26K! Will it hold there? Hmmmm,,,I'm guessing if it DOES sell it will be around 32K. Much more than that would make me "pass" on it. It "appears" the car is well built. I'm not a big FFR fan, but an example like this of the apparent quality and IF the price stays in the 20's keeps me looking at them and thinking,,,,,,maybe.

Ernie

Last edited by Excaliber; 11-20-2002 at 06:23 PM..
Old 11-20-2002, 06:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

...I guess reserve at 35k.
(no donor parts..all new engine and drivetrain..lotsa extras)
Old 11-26-2002, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When I was young it was bicycles, then it was stereos, now we are on to Cobra's. What's the similarity? In each, there is a spectrum of quality and price. In this world, it appears that FFR is on the left (less expensive, etc.) and Shelby's new Cobra kits are on the right (most expensive). What I've noticed is there is always a spot in the middle where you get the "most bang for the buck". So where is it in Cobra replicas? Here are some names I've come across so far. Care to line them up on your spectrum? Factory Five, Shell Valley, Unique, Kirkham, Superformance. Others???

Thanking you in advance... Thor
Old 11-27-2002, 07:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hmmmm....I don't know, thats to close to "stepping on toes" for me. The BIG difference in cars like the SPF and Kirkhams is that quailty is very consistent. With many of the other cars that varies wildly depending of who built it and how.

Like Jessica Rabbit isn't a "bad" girl, she's just drawn that way. It's not like FFR is an "inexpensive" Cobra, it's just often built that way. If I was going raceing a lot, I sure wouldn't go with a Kirkham for instance, to much money invested. But if I wanted style, that would be a perfect choice. Heck, there ALL good depending on your end use.

Ernie
Old 11-27-2002, 08:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I see that FFR on e-bay (link on page one) did sell for 29K. I was thinking 32K, Ron was thinking 35K.

So why didn't it bring more than 29K? Maybe it was the "incorrect" wheels? Who knows! The market is hard to call on used Cobra prices, but I think our pre-sale estimates were close, al beit a little high.

Ernie