Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sidepipe49

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2003, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra weber fuel injected 557 C.I.. 800H.P 760LBS. TQ. Magnum T56
Send a message via AIM to MAXVELO
Not Ranked     
Default Stallion Vs. West Coast

If the Stallion is essentially the origional West Coast car, than why are they called different names and why are the stallions (if this is true or not) worth so much more? I saw one sold by a place called Black-Plate-Auto for $70,000 with a 460 and a 4 speed. On the other hand there is a West Coast car on Ebay, brand new mind you and ist at $16,000 of course it has almost 5 days to go the ITEM# is 2423978541. Is there a difference mechanically, structurally, or is the only change the ownership of the company?

www.black-plate.com/1984stallion.html
Old 07-20-2003, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast 460, Performer Cam & Intake, Edelbrock 750cfm Carb
Not Ranked     

Ownership change for sure. I also know that there have some structural change and improvements over the years but that should happen naturally with any manufacturer. As far as value, I believe the "Stallion" was originally built by one of Carrol Shelby's people after the original was discontinued but his name escapes me. (Some of you other WC owners might be able to help me here.) That gives it some history, No longer made, if you will, and rare(?). A lot of factors affect price.

(If the WC at ebay goes for 16, someone will get a good deal.)
Old 07-20-2003, 09:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK so ONE Stallion sold for 70K, all that says is:

1. It was ONE heck of a VERY special car built by VERY special people and sold was sold well before the current decline of Cobra prices we see today.

2. Theres a sucker born every minute.

Make no mistake, you will NOT see even a GREAT Stallion sell for anywhere NEAR $70K. IF this is true (and frankly, I doubt that it is) it is an extraordinary deal and has little to do with "reality".

Ernie
Old 07-21-2003, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra weber fuel injected 557 C.I.. 800H.P 760LBS. TQ. Magnum T56
Send a message via AIM to MAXVELO
Not Ranked     
Default STALLION SOLD.......

Actually excaliber,
The Stallion only sold March of 03. Is it possible that a premium
Stallion/West Coast car would demand a premium price? I see alot of owners slamming WWC but the cars they (the slammers) are driving are no more origional than WCC.
So your gas cap is on the fender BIG DEAL! does that make your car somehow more desirable than mine? I beleive every person has a different image of what they think a "Cobra" should look like. I personally think any "Cobra" even the origionals dont look as good as the WCC! (JUST MY OPINION!)
Looking at the Stallion/WWC, I dont think they were trying to duplicate the origional. I think they were trying to improve the cars appearance, handling, drivability, etc. etc. And in "my opinion" they succeeded! Now, are there other cars I would like? Absolutely! But I prefer the Stallion/WCC body over the others. I have had my car in car shows parked next to other "Cobras" and I always hear people saying that mine is the origional and the others are "kits" If you prefer an Excaliber thats fine. But if you wear Nike hightops and I wear Rebocks hightops, neither one of us are wearing the origional Convers high tops! why not? because you cant buy them anymore and there are better (usable/drivable) shoes/Cobras out there!!
just my nickles worth
Gary
Old 07-21-2003, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Default The Stallion

Was a high quality very limited production, FINISHED car. less than 300 made, and it was an "improved" cobra (sure, purists will disagree, that's why there are menus at restaurants)

The West Coast is a current production kit car. Most people that finish them are on a budget and don't make the most of them... as a result of these two factors, and a few others mentioned by others here on the club about West Coast itself the resale is of course lower.

The West Coast is a COPY of the Stallion, not a continuation, either in ownership, or production. Mine is a very detailed and unique car, but even so in this depressed economy is not worth what I paid for it. Good thing I bought it to drive and enjoy instead of worrying about it's resale value
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 07-21-2003, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Used Stallions sell in the $30k range more often. Too bad it cost the original owner more like $60k to get it completed. Being less original means they take a hit on price at resale. Doesn't matter how "cool" they might be. Originality = higher resale, the further you move away from Carrol's original cobras, the fewer buyers you are selling to.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If it sold in March of this year with a 460 (not even a 427 SO) then we know the reason was a #2. LOL, hey thats a joke (well, a good joke usually contains a little truth).

Thats not a slam on the Stallion or WCC. It's a reality check! I to prefer a little larger\wider Cobra. Hence, I have the Excalibur and a Classic Roadster. I bet the guy lost money on the $70K Stallion!

Ernie
Old 07-21-2003, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

With very few exceptions, Everyone LOOSES money on a car. The same guys who tell you about their profits are the same guys who always claim to make $ in Vegas. It happens, but not often.

Very few Cobras without a CSX # will sell for $70K in the used market. In fact, fiberglass CSX cars are having trouble bring $70K.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: stallion
Not Ranked     

I would consider selling my stallion cobra, It is a near perfect car 79 model, with 1504 miles on it. bright red, no stripe 29k would get it, but I really will probable keep it. the stallion is a beautiful machine.
Davereeves likes this.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

I have a good friend with a West Coast Cobra, running a 460 and 4-speed top loader, the car is very very nice and looks good. Parked next to my car you can see the difference very easily, most specifically the wide rear end width of the West Coast.
Most uninformed on-lookers love the both cars and don't really know, or care about the lack of authenticity. They still always say "Is it real?", and we always say...You bet ya it is, but not an original Shelby.
As far as resale value goes......It's always whatever the traffic will bare, good times brings good prices,...... bad times..they sit in the garage, waiting to be driven.

So let's get driving, Bill
Old 01-11-2009, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 289 USRRC - sold, RCR GT40 - Sold , WC Cobra - Sold, Stallion - Sold, Tiger - sold
Not Ranked     

I had a 1979 Stallion and a 2002 WCC. Both great cars. The Stallion was a street version witha 302, under-car exhaust, automatic with heat and A/C and a great driver. I removed all the Stallion markers and replaced them with Cobra. I had no idea it was of any "value" and sold it for $15k. My WCC had a 460, 5-speed and was quite a different driving experience...but needed to get rid of it and someone got a great deal at $35k. I felt very safe driving these cars and would certainly purchase another. I prefer the wider cobra on steroids...but my next will probably be closer to the original.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

The Holidays must raise the level of boredom...this is a resurrected thread from almost 6 years ago. I mention it, because I noticed the same thing on another site......
So, let me hi-jack it a little...HIQ, never had a Stallion or a WCC, however, I am a big FZ fan and always glad to see one of his qoutes.....I was looking forward to voting for him for Prez. RIP FZ.

" Is that a REAL poncho, or is that a SEARS poncho?"

Last edited by Woodz428; 01-11-2009 at 06:17 AM..
Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet!
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodz428 View Post
The Holidays must raise the level of boredom...this is a resurrected thread from almost 6 years ago....
That's freakin' hilarious! I didn't even notice the date stamp on the thread, was just enjoying some classic border skirmish.

I've heard of pickin' through the boneyard, but jeez....

P.S. Yes, RIP Frank. Had the pleasure of watching him in concert from the front row many moons ago.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast / Stallion 351C
Not Ranked     
Default '80 Stallion

I have an 80' Stallion that I bought 10 years ago for 20K that was a rough finished car with no miles on all the new parts. It is 351C powered with a Nash/Richmond 5sp. I let it sit due to construction projects and have recently resurrected the project. The engine was stock and only revealed 250 hp. The poorly installed dizzy gear took out the cam so I tore it down and have a 408 stroked re-build almost complete. I have pictures posted via photo bucket if you look at WWW.cascadecobras.com. Being a machine shop owner I was attracted to the frame quality. It has 11" Wilwood brakes, a 9" Ford 3rd, and Must II front with P/S. I have sat in other Cobra's and must say I like being able to swing my legs into the car after sitting in the seat, and being able to look under the windshield frame instead of it being in my line of site. I have all the original brochures and the original build manual that express it's ability as a road course capable car. The most improved addition for drivability was the QuarterMaster hyd throwout bearing. I can push the peddle down with my hand now.
Kartjock
Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic ND 427 big block 427 ford with tri power I know the 427 didnt come with tri power just wanted something different. 9 inc. ford rear end top loader four wheel dic brakes.
Not Ranked     

Stallion,
I have seen Cobras from day one and I think the Stallion was a great rig. I saw one go for about 15,000 10 or 12 yrs back at a Silers Auction in Seattle. The guys at Park Place in Belluve pick it up along with a grad sport 427 Vett. I dont think there any other kits on the market at the time {Cobras}

Andy