Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2003, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M, 460 roller motor, toploader, and 9".
Not Ranked     
Default State of Washington titling issues???

Washington State Cobra owners:

Can anyone give me a rundown on what to expect from the state when it comes time to title my newly assembled E-M in a month or so. Also, I live in King County - will I have emissions issues with a late model 460 ci engine?

Any input will be appreciated.

Regards,

ron.knowles@gte.net
Old 12-20-2003, 10:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

I bought a new SPF in 2001 with a 392 stroker, no emissions equiptment, it had a exempt paper in the paperwork, but I live in Kitsap--know it doesn't help much but I think it may be easy to get passed here sort of like streetrods--one of my neighbors has a 32 Ford Vicky streetrod that he built/licensed about 5 yrs ago, has a 350 Chevy in it, licensed it in Bellvue when he lived there.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427SC #188 ZZ4 Crate, Tremac 3550
Send a message via AIM to Bish Wheeler
Not Ranked     

Ron,

It's pretty easy really. The SP just checks the paper work to be sure everything is kosher, then you go register it. There is no mechanical inspection. You will have to put a value on it for "use tax" which you pay when you register.

As to the emission test thing, I'm not sure. I live in Skagit county where it is not required, but I know it is in King. A lot of the guys live down there so I am sure someone will hop on here and outline what you need to do. I think I heard Zderf say there is some sort of waiver.

Congratulations on getting your car.

Bish

Last edited by Bish Wheeler; 12-21-2003 at 07:42 AM..
Old 12-22-2003, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.........if any one else has specific information regarding licensing a newly constructed E-M by a King County resident then please educate me more.

I also am curious as to how the title describes the vehicle.

Thanks again,

rk
Old 12-22-2003, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I live in Pierce county.When I ran it through SP I didn't get a chance to regester it in rurel area so I had to do the whole emmissions thing.Mine is used. They will go by the date of manufacture of the chassis and body .Mine was a 84.I don't know how new works.A regular new doesn't have to be tested the first five years unless registration is transfered. Then its every other year untill it is twentyfive years old.You get it tested I failed you try to get it repaired at a regestered emmissions repairer. you spend the minimum to bring it into compliance. you retest. I failed you make an appointment with a referee.My ref had a space saved out in the testing station parking lot. He has test equipment in his car.He tests it ,He may adjust further,He is a technician.he signs a waiver both of you go into the test station and papers are filed and typed and you leave with the paper to get it liesenced.
My repairer was hesitant at first. often these hot rods never come into compliance. He called EPA they, talked for a while and it was descided that 73 was the target standard.I had some bad plugs.He richened the idle(mine had a lean missfire) unburnt hydrocarbons went down carbonmonoxide went up.The referee fussed that he would have compromised between where we started and where we ended. Mine was laid up last year and they waived the paper through so I wouldn't loose my vanity plates and they would get their fees.
You're just starting My car is near the end of the twentyfive year window.that has value in it's self.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GT40 NZ / FFR Roadster
Not Ranked     

You will need a state patrol VIN inspection. They verify receipts and identification, not safety. Be sure you have a registration number stamped on the car otherwise they will rivet a tag on the car.

King Country requires emmision inspection on any vehicles registered between 1980 and 1999. Your car will be registered as a 2004. You'll have a five year period when inspection is not required. On year five you'll be required to sniff the car. A referee will need to provide you with an exemption per the emmission law which will waive you from future inspections.

The system does work so don't worry about the new model year registration.

More Info...

http://search.leg.wa.gov/wslrcw/RCW%...016%20.680.htm
Old 12-23-2003, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 6322
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by NealM

You'll have a five year period when inspection is not required. On year five you'll be required to sniff the car.
I think you sniff test on year six, this would put the car in the cycle of testing on even/odd years to match the even/odd year it was registered as. A 2003 would be required to test in 2009, 2011, 2013 etc. A 2004 would test 2010, 2012, 2014.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I've heard that when regestring a new car have that manufactures statement of origin handy and every recept you ever had.They want to be sure that no stolen parts went into your car and sales tax, probably the bigest thing.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default thanks everyone.............

I get the sense from the replys that I don't have to worry too much when the time comes to title the car - that is a relief!! As far as the emissions testing is concerned I guess I'll worry about that in 5 years.

Have an enjoyable holiday season to you all and thank you for the responses!!

Ron K.