Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, Carb 302
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Power steering install

The power steering install has been completed thanks to the valuable assistance of Jim (race-it) and Ray (1blackbb66). I have been collecting all the required parts over the winter and we finally got everything installed. It did not go smoothly! Rather than use the stock Mustang pressure and return lines, I decided to order custom braided AN fitted lines. Not worth the expense. I ended up with local manufactured lines at 1/3 the cost.
The next thing to go south was a pulley, that at first glance, appeared to be OK, however when installed, and rotating at 800 rpm, it was quite apparent the pulley was bent.
During this time we noticed, what appeared to be a leak at the return line where it attaches to the pump. It looked to be either a loose clamp or a defective line. Additional clamps/tightening did not fix the problem so a new return line was installed with negative results. At that time the consensus was a leak in the pump. The pump was removed and sure enough a small crack was found in the plastic housing where the return line attaches to the pump. So………rebuilt pump from Shucks, new pulley from March and we were good to go.

With a new alignment, it was time to see if it was worth all the expense and trouble. Yesterday was nice and sunny, so I called Jim and asked if he wanted to do a shakedown cruise. As he had run out of things to polish on old 98 he thought that his time would be well spent in seeing how the upgrade went. We headed out from Jim’s place to Yelm where we stopped for a quick beverage and snack. (We have to keep our strength up)

WOW!! What a difference. The steering is much more responsive, the turning diameter has been reduced and the ability to maneuver has made the driving experience so much more enjoyable. The only down side I can see is that now at it’s easier to maneuver, Eileen will be driving a lot more.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Smile Easy parking now

Hi Steve,
Good mod for the cobra. I loved the ease of parking with my power rack.
Now your Dad can take over on those long runs!
Perry.

Last edited by HighPlainsDrifter; 03-06-2008 at 10:27 AM..
Old 03-09-2008, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII, 347 stroker EFI, 3 link solid axle rear, front upper/lower adjustable A arms, coil over shocks
Not Ranked     

Congrats, Steve. What swayed you from doing the Flaming River install?
Old 03-09-2008, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jason,

I liked the quicker response and smaller turning diameter of the PS over the manual rack. Now that's my reason. The real reason is Eileen preferred the power.

Perry,

It looks like you well on your way with the coupe. Any estimated completion date?
Old 03-09-2008, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII, 347 stroker EFI, 3 link solid axle rear, front upper/lower adjustable A arms, coil over shocks
Not Ranked     

It always comes down to that, doesn't it. I think most of us feel your pain. Well, you couldn't have gone wrong either way. Nice to see it is finally done!
Old 03-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Smile Timeline

Hi steve,
There is alot more stuff to do in the coupe. More panel fitment and ALOT of bodywork. Lots of aluminum panels to rivet on,mold in rear spoiler,cut and rivet on rear hatch, 4 wheel discs, etc,etc.
Probably 2 years to fire up.
Perry.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra #1628, Coast Performance Stroker 427W Ford 520HP/535FT.TQ, Blue with white stripes
Not Ranked     

Steve,
That is awesome that you got the power steering on. You are ready for some SCCA cone racing now. You culd drive circles around my SPF on a tight course. That BB adds a ton of weight to the steering.

Jake
Old 03-11-2008, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jake,

I don't know about driving circles around you. I'd be satisfied just keeping you in sight in the canyons..
Old 03-11-2008, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 Mass-Flo mild race engine
Not Ranked     

I have a Mustang GT power steering rack on my Daytona....What a difference over the flaming river manual rack..I can turn in a tight area now where I couldn't with the FRR...I'm extremely happy with it.... Dave

Last edited by davids; 03-11-2008 at 12:44 PM..
Old 03-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve
With the BB we don't need power sterring we just use the throttle. When it comes to parking we are so far ahead of the SB that we just drive straight into the slot, no backing or turning. I know its your story and you will stick to it .but come on lets leave Eileen out of this.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 Mass-Flo mild race engine
Not Ranked     

Fred, I got you beat by 10 years....Just wait until you're 67....Power steering here I come for sure...Dave
Old 03-11-2008, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     

Steve, why don't you list all the parts and sources you used for your install so some of us might take advantage of your experience? Power steering sounds like somethin I might like to try on my 351W.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-11-2008, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fred,

I'll admit there is nothing like cubic inches. Having said that, I've seen your throttle turns and parking. The ones that I have witnessed, your eyes are closed, your body is rigid and you’re screaming like a girl! When you finally get out of your car, your pants are wet.

David,

I agree. I find that as I add years I can use all the help I can get.

SuperHart,

My parts list is for the Factory Five MK II
1. The steering rack kit was purchased from Breeze Automotive LLC in Medway, MA. The kit included aluminum off set bushings, new tie rod ends and lower steering shaft assy. The power rack is 3 turn lock to lock made by Unisteer.
2. The pump is a rebuilt from Shucks Automotive.
3. (2)5/8" x -06 AN fittings and (1) 9/16" x -06 AN fitting from Unisteer.
4. Locally assembled pressure and return lines to fit above.
5. March serpentine 6 grove pulley.
6. Power steering bracket from Cobrastuf.com
Old 03-11-2008, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-450 HP 460
Not Ranked     

OH man! Steve and Fred are great. Good laugh!

Ray
Old 03-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve
Why waste all the energy turning the wheel when all you have to do is blip the throttle, now if you remember Jake 2 years ago out at SIR he hadn't master the blip yet.As for all that other stuff you said you know you were talking about Brenda and the other person was the one in the coffee shack.

Dave
I will have my car in Az this winter so maybe I will get to meet up with a few of you Az guys.

In case you were wondering why I haven't been posting it was because Brent had me sent to the penalty box and he just let me out today. I even tried to register using a SB name and he still caught me. Just because I will be moving doesn't we won't be back in the area with the car. I will still let you see the tail lights as long as Steve stays behind me when he's wearing that HAT& git up.

Fred

Last edited by Fred Hamilton; 03-12-2008 at 12:42 AM..
Old 03-12-2008, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fred,

The look on that guy's face was priceless!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I'm not one for butting in unless asked but, I was their and I saw the whole thing from start to finish. Studley Fred in attempt #1,457,954 to impress his lovely wife inadvertantly hit the speed bump while attempting to park causing his wife who was half turned around looking and motioning to Eileen who was driving Steves cobra where she could park when she was jared by the bump causing her to loose her balance and fall on Fred causing Fred to hit the throtle. Fred, thinking his wife was forcing herself on him, forgot to take his hands off the wheel as he turned twords her causing the cobra to go into an uncontrolled spin much like the one Fred was experiancing. To everyones amazement all turned our well. Fred shook it off,combed his hair, and together the steamy couple went for a lemonade.

JIm

Last edited by race-it; 03-12-2008 at 06:45 PM..
Old 03-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim
No way can I ever compete with you in a game of words, but I will sure have fun with you on the road. I do enjoy your stories even if I am the topic. Keep it up. LMAO when ever you start a story.

Fred
Old 03-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The day Steve T did the 180 on a curve was a sight to see. His eyes were the size of a Turkey platter. Miscuing a curve is one think but having the car stall and blocking a lane only to have 2 little old ladies wave as they passed him was even better.

Fred