Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, Carb 302
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Going from Edelbrock to Holley

The time has come to get rid of my Edelbrock carburetor. For all of last year I have fought trying to eliminate a persistent stumble as the rpm approached 4800. At first I thought it was an ignition problem. Spark plugs were changed, the fuel filter was replaced, the coil was replaced and the timing was rechecked. A check for vacuum leaks proved negative. As I was also getting a “stumble” during high g turns, I suspected the carburetor may be the culprit.

The current carburetor is a 600cfm 1406 Edelbrock with vacuum secondaries. Per a few knowledgeable folks over at the FF5 forum, I reset the floats, increased/decreased jet size in both the primary and secondaries and tried different metering rods; all to no avail. Another camp in the carburetor debates suggested disconnecting the fuel line, remove the air cleaner assembly and throttle linkage then label and disconnect the vacuum lines. The next critical step is to carefully remove the Edelbrock carburetor and deposit same in the garbage can. After that, I was to go online and order a 600cfm Holley double pumper 4150 which I did.

It should arrive by the end of the week at which time I’ll wait for some rain free weather and head on over to Jim’s (race-it) place to install and set-up. Jim promised he would not polish the new carburetor.

I’ll keep you posted on the results.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

I went just the opposite way. I spent almost enough money on "tune-up" parts and carb mechanics for the Holley 4150 as I would've for a new carb...and I never did get rid of a low rpm stumble...it would be fine one time then ran like crap the next.
I tried everything I could on the Holley...all the "tricks" etc. people would tell me...

Finally I bought a 4106 Edelebrock (manual choke). Put it on, went for a test drive, came back and did one rod and jet change an never touched the carb again until I pulled it off to change to Webers.

Good luck, hope you have better luck with Holley than I did

Last edited by G.R.; 03-11-2008 at 03:37 PM..
Old 03-11-2008, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

G. R.

It really seems like a coin toss. If I started with the Holley like you and had problems, I'd switch to an Edelbrock. If this Holley does not work out I may consider fuel injection.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Close

Steve,
A tip on this trouble;
Sometimes a simple plug gap can fix this stumble, reduce the spark plug gap to .035 , our crappy gas is to blame for the most part.( not fair we pay more for this watered down junk.) In 1970 premium was 102 octane and reg was 95 octane, our cars wouldn't run on 95 then and still won't now on poor 91 premium.
Perry.
ps- the douple pump will lose 5 mpg.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-450 HP 460
Not Ranked     

Same thing here Steve. Had a Holley on mine and it ran like crap. In all fairness I could have probably tuned it and made it work, but I've never liked Holley's. Got myself a Edelbrock 1407, called the tech line and asked them how to set it, and haven't touched it since. Runs great.
Hope it takes care of your problem though.

Ray
Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The real story is Steve just wanted a bigger carb to cover up his smaller engine.
Remember last winter when I was on the receiving end.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Instead of blaming one manufacturer or the other it would make more sense to install a wideband O2 meter to see what the problem actually is. Making changes to the carb and not knowing if it's too rich, too lean or not a carb related issue at all leaves a lot of guesswork.

However sometimes the Edelbrock carbs cause unsolvable problems due to the non- adjustable "flapper valve".

Simon
Old 03-12-2008, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Steve, I think Fred just asked for a refresher course on "Dont Pick On The Little Guy's.

Jim
Old 03-12-2008, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 cobra replica (B&B), 460 ford
Not Ranked     

if you like the look of the holly but want fuel injection take a look at the Bossefi unit by http://www.retrotekspeed.com/
i have been investigating the unit for 8 months now & have talked to several guys who have had great results with the unit.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Perry, Simon,

Good tip on the plug gap. I removed and inspected all the plugs and every one showed the classic light tan color of good air/fuel ratio. A resistance check of the plug wires was also OK. I am aware that mileage will suffer with the DP but I only put about 3,000mies a year on the car so a few more $ is not a major concern, however that was a consideration in going with the 600cfm rather than he 650.

And now for you Fred,

You have seen my car. It's a car that is driven. It's not pretty but it's not beat. Everything that has been installed adheres to the concept of FFF.....Form Follows Function. If a Holley DP is larger than an Edelbrock, than so be it. Who is going to notice the difference? I don't have a hood hinge. To view the engine bay, I have to remove the hood pins, undo the latch handles and find a safe place to rest the hood. Unlike you, when I get together with the group I don't open the engine bay and announce to everyone within earshot "Hey! look at my Big Block". I might add that those two carburetors take up a lot of space. By the way, what brand are they?

Enjoy the sun in AZ and let us know when you are returning to the Northwest.
I need more material for another Fred story.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

I have twin 660's on my BIG BLOCK.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

I have been a holley person ever since the late 60's. I know them and what to do to make them work. Other people are comfortable with the Edelbrock's. Go with what makes you happy and works for you.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Make sure you have the new carb completely disassembled and all the nooks and crannies blown out.

There can be some nasty little pieces of metal lodged just about anywhere.

Holley and BG are notorious for this!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve

They are called Weber's. Just to let you know Steve when I had the SB with a Holley and then the dual Edelbrock and even after I went with the BB and dual Edelbroks I had a stumble in the curves I ran out of ideas to fix it and just lived with it. My stumble was more so at a low RPM and not the higher. What we do with all our free time if we did'nt have these cars to tinker with.
I'm not down in Az yet, still in Kansas, will return on the 24th spend the month of April working and then start enjoying the retired life in May. Plan to be back in the Northwest in late July where we will stay until around Oct. I'm sure in that length of time you will be able to get plenty of stuff on me to write about. I enjoy every one that you and Jim put on paper.

Fred
Old 03-13-2008, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic ND 427 big block 427 ford with tri power I know the 427 didnt come with tri power just wanted something different. 9 inc. ford rear end top loader four wheel dic brakes.
Not Ranked     
Cool

Steve,

My son Tyler does not live to far from you, and is a very good crab guy on all kinds. He does love Holleys. Last season he work on a funny car team that won two national title. The car runs out of K. Falls Oregon on the national tour. He does work on the side, let me know if you want to talk with him.

Andy 360 731 2258
Old 03-14-2008, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Andy, I have not forgot our talk. Hope we can get together soon and collect some cobra vidios.

Jim