Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Change Vett 16" wheel to 15 " wheel ?

Has anyone changed a 16" C5 Vett wheel to a 15" wheel?

My Everett-Morrison came with a vett C-5 suspension. I would like to change to 15" wheels.

Jim
Old 01-11-2009, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

I would have to believe you have a C-4 suspension as the rotors and brakes of the C-5 to fit even 16 inch wheels. Mine came with 16 and I've put 17 and 15 inch rims on them. currently have the American Racing AR427 15 inches rims on.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jack, was your suspension from a c-4. Did you have to change calipers?
Thank You
Jim
Old 01-11-2009, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Jim,
My EM uses brakes and suspension from a 1987 Corvette. I run 16" wheel on the street and 17" wheels on the track. The answer to your original question is to measure your bolt circle and determine the 15" wheel/tire dimensions (i.e., bolt circle, diameter, width, offset) you need. Here's a link showing sample wheel dimensions.

tirerack
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 01-11-2009 at 03:27 PM..
Old 01-11-2009, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A 15inch wheel will fit the C4 suspension with the standard rotors and calipers with the right offset and minor grinding of the caliper. They will not fit if you are running the larger, optional rotor. And they will not fit any C5 stock rotor and caliper. I have put a 15 inch wheel on a C4 based Dragon at a customers request. For proper scrub radius it is important to have the right offset, which may dictate the rim width. It has been 7 years since I did this so I do not remember the exact offset and rim width I used. Hope this helps. John
Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, vette suspension, 351C w richmond 5 spd
Not Ranked     

I also have an EM with vette 85 vette suspension and have been pondering this question for several weeks. I'm running 16" now (but not replica wheels) and want to get a set of wheels, Team 3 are the only ones I'm aware of that offer adequate backspacing to keep the outer edge of the tire under the fenders. Even the wheels EM had at the time I bought the kit extend in the front a little too much. I didn't know American Racing made a wheel that would work with the vette suspension and would be very interested in them if they will fit. If any of you have the info I'd be grateful.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ike, I have had no luck with wheels. American racing does not have any wheels that will fit. I have searched many tire and wheel shops over the past year and on line with no luck. The only satisfaction I have is that looking over hundreds of early cobra pictures a very very few pictures show Goodyear Tires. In fact I find more white wall tires on cobra's than I do raised white letters. Most tires were just black. This doesn't give me the look I want but other than buying another car I cant do anything.
Jim
Old 01-14-2009, 02:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
American racing does not have any wheels that will fit
Strange...I have the AR427 wheel in 15 inch, and don't have a problem. This is on C-4 Corvette suspension.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post
Strange...I have the AR427 wheel in 15 inch, and don't have a problem. This is on C-4 Corvette suspension.
Would you give the details of your wheels, rim width and backspace for front/rear? Thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My EM front wheel dimension.

I have 2" from faceplate to outside edge of front fender.
I need 6.5" from center of hub to clear caliper.
I am using 245/50/16 tires and want to go to 15" so I can use Goodyear Raised White letter Tires.

I was told by American Racing three times they need 3.5" and the way there wheels taper in in the back they would not fit over calipers.

I hope they are wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wounder if anyone has a damaged wheel or an extra AR 427 rim I could buy to try?
I just checked American Racing 427 Wheel. Minimum backspace available is 3.5". this means the tire would stick out past my fender 1.5 inches. Is this correct?
Jim

Last edited by race-it; 01-14-2009 at 07:03 PM..
Old 01-14-2009, 11:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is a pic with the 15 inch AR427 wheels on my car.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The wheels look perfect, I like the rear fender protectors as well. Very nice looking ride.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I see your picture and called American racing. They said again that the smallest backspacing on the 427 wheel they sell would set the tire out 5" from the backing plate. They said to ask if you had them specially made with reverse backspace?

I checked with American Racing, Less Schwab, Tire Rack, Goodyear tire, Boydes wheels, BF Goodrich, Pep Boys, Discount Tire.

I see your car and wheels so I believe you but no one who makes the wheels do, but I would have never believed you could put a hood scoop that big on a Cobra either!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim.

Last edited by race-it; 01-15-2009 at 01:08 PM..
Old 01-15-2009, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hotfingers, I will buy the front and rear suspension, IKE will buy the fender protectors. I a few weeks I'm sure, I can part the entire car out for you!!!!!!!!!!

I will also buy the oil cooler and windshield. If you cut the front off your car and the rear, I will buy them too. I need to make a cobra couch from the rear and a sterio system out of the front.
Jim

Last edited by race-it; 01-15-2009 at 01:01 PM..
Old 01-15-2009, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The rears are 15x10 with 6.25 BS. The fronts are 15x8 with 4" BS The cheapest price I could find was here

http://www.wheelsforless.com/vintage_wheels.aspx

The wheels had to be special order and took about 8 weeks to get. They also had free shipping, which I don't know if they still do. With the C-4 suspension you need as much BS as you can get. My 16 inch wheels were WORKS wheels, and were 16x9.5 with 6 inch BS, so the AR stick out 1/2 inch more than the old wheels.

Last edited by Hotfingrs; 01-16-2009 at 02:04 AM..
Old 01-15-2009, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post
The rears are 15x10 with 6.25 BS. The fronts are 15x8 with 4" BS The cheapest price I could find was here

http://www.wheelsforless.com/vintage_wheels.aspx

The wheels had to be special order and took about 8 weeks to get. They also had free shipping, which I don't know is they still do. With the C-4 suspension you need as much BS as you can get. My 16 inch wheels were WORKS wheels, and were 16x9.5 with 6 inch BS, so the AR stick out 1/2 inch more than the old wheels.
Thanks thats the info I need.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jack, Thank you for the information. You have a great looking cobra.

Jim